BRAVE RAIDEEN (勇者ライディーン, Yūsha Raidīn) is a super
robot anime series. Produced by
Tohokushinsha , Asahi News Agency and
Sunrise , it aired on NET (now TV Asahi) from 4 April 1975 to 26 March
1976, with a total of 50 episodes. The official name being RAIDEEN THE
BRAVE, it is mainly known as "Brave Raideen" or "Heroic Raydeen". A
series called RAIDEEN THE SUPERIOR (超者ライディーン) was
broadcast from 1996 to 1997 on TV Tokyo, and another series called
Reideen was broadcast in 2007 on
* 1 Story
* 2.1 Raideen
* 2.2 Weapons and Powers
* 2.2.1 God Bird
* 2.3 Bluegar * 2.4 Poindar
* 3 Demon Empire Forces
* 3.1 Barao * 3.2 Fossil Beasts
* 3.3 Colossal Monsters
* 3.3.1 Combined Colossal Monsters
* 4 Cast * 5 Staff * 6 Production Notes * 7 Episodes
* 8 Remakes
* 8.1 Raideen the Superior * 8.2 Reideen
* 9 International release * 10 Merchandise * 11 Reception * 12 References * 13 External links
After a slumber of twelve millennia, the Demon Empire awakens to seize control of the Earth. Raideen, the giant robot-like protector of the lost continent of Mu , senses the evil presence and awakens within its golden pyramid. A young Japanese boy, Akira Hibiki, is alerted about the Demon Empire by a mysterious voice and rushes to the pyramid. It is soon revealed that Akira is a descendant of the ancient people of Mu who must help Raideen save the Earth. Akira enters the robot by accelerating his motorcycle to a high speed and then throws himself upward, allowing a beam from the robot to pull him into the robot's head and into an internal cockpit from where he assumes control of Raideen. Akira is aided by Mari Sakurano, who happens to be the daughter of a prominent scientist, and his friends from the soccer club. Half way through the story the Demon Empire's master, Barao, is released from his statue prison and intends to finish what he started twelve thousand years earlier.
* HEIGHT: 50 meters
* WEIGHT: 520 tons
* ARMOR: Mutronium
* POWER SOURCE:
WEAPONS AND POWERS
* GOD MISSILES: Bird-like bladed missiles from its abdomen that are highly accurate. Later upgraded with homing capabilities. * GOD BLOCK: A retractable shield in its right arm. This is later upgraded to be used as a buzzsaw called the GOD BLOCK SPIN. * GOD BREAKER: A sword hidden in the God Block. * GOD BOOMERANG: A red bladed bird-like boomerang hidden in its right arm. This is later upgraded with a pair of rocket jets to make its impact faster and stronger. * GOD GORGON: Harpoon-like arrows stored in its back using, thrown at enemies with a bow on its left wrist. These arrows are charged with energy from its left fingertip, and explodes on contact; these are sometimes fired in barrages GOD GORGON: TABANE UCHI DA. The bow is later upgraded with both halves being sharpened, called the GORGON SWORD. * AURA SHOCK: Electric shocks from its fingers. * TELEKINETIC BEAM (NENDO KOUSEN) GOD ALPHA: A powerful energy field around its body used to deteriorate whatever is attacked by it. * GOD PRESSURE: Green lightning bolts from its forehead. * ENERGY CUTTER: Surrounding its God Breaker with lightning to make it more powerful. * GOD VOICE: From the chest of Raideen, some satellite dishes are shown to amplify by several times Akira's voice, who screams "God Ra Mu". Extremely powerful purple sonic rings are launched from those satellite dishes, to entrap enemies and tear them apart at a molecular level. However, this attack has heavy repercussions to its pilot, Akira.
Raideen turns into an eagle-like jet for faster flight and often used for Raideen's finishing attacks.
* RAMMING: Simply ramming through enemies at super sonic speeds. Also has a spinning variation called the Titan Drill. * GOD BIRD CLAW: God Bird's talons. * ESPER BURN: Heat beams from the eyes. Also acts like x-ray vision, to lock-on the enemy's weak point and make the God Bird to pierce them easier. * GOD THUNDER: Summoning lightning from the sky and directing it towards an enemy. * HEAD CUTTER: The head part is separated from the body of Raideen and it is used like a battering ram, while the neck hole reveals a large blade tip, allowing Raideen to pierce enemies body.
A fighter that assists Raideen early into the series. It is armed with a variety of weapons.
First premiers in episode 21 and is piloted by Araiso and the children of the series. Powers include an extendable boxing glove (later two), claw hands for bashing, can be used as a submarine, a slingshot in the torso, and explosives attached to balloons.
DEMON EMPIRE FORCES
* DEMON EMPIRE ROBOTS: The human sized infantry of the series, although hardly used in the second half. They are armed with a sword and a machine gun. * DRONES (also referred to as DROMES): Fifteen foot flying squid demons used for the first half of the series from episode 1 until episode 27. Although they appear to have disappeared at that point, in a flashback of Barao attacking the Mu Empire they were seen along human-like demons rampaging cities. They are armed with only their twin tentacles and launching fire balls from their underside, although some have used weapons such as large missiles, swords, and even buzzsaws. * GANTE: A giant stone demon, sometimes called a dragon in some episodes, used to transport fossil beasts during the first half of the series. It first premiered in episode 1 and was destroyed in episode 27. It was armed with a variety of weapons. * MECHA GANTE: A mechanical version of Gante the first premiered in episode 39 that was used to transport colossal monsters until episode 48. Although it did not have many weapons what they lacked in number they made up for in power.
The leader of the Demon Empire and appears in every episode starting
with episode 2. He is an 800 meter tall demon from the Underworld that
sought the power of the Star of Ra Mu and used his minions, primarily
of dromes and demon robots, led by the demon brothers Gohrai and
For the first half of the series his powers included instilling life into rocks to create fossil beasts and eye heat rays when he was in his statue form until episode 27. Upon being released his powers included forming an entire island in a matter of seconds dubbed Demon Isle, psychically freezing weapons in mid air, seeing into other dimension, causing fissures, fusing colossal monsters together, manipulation of the elements, hand lightning bolts and energy beams, mouth flames that create flaming tornadoes, purple horn energy bolts and balls, a bow and arrow, a barbed boomerang, summoning flames from the middle cave of his island, a giant scythe, blade resistance, levitation, constricting roots from the lower half of his body, and a pair of broadswords with hidden saw blades.
* BASTODON: Appears in episode 2. Powers include a right arm sword,
levitation, mouth flames, and can regenerate left arm into a sword. He
is one of the only two fossil beasts to appear in various Super Robot
* GARDA: Appears in episode 3. Powers include burrowing, launchable
pincer claw hands, spiked ball form, launchable torso spikes, and a
* MADON: Appears in episode 4. Powers include whip tentacles all
over the body, zombifying black lightning, regeneration, and blue
* BIRA: Appears in episode 5. Powers include levitation, ensnaring
antennae, pink hyper sonic waves from the torso, scythe arms, and self
* TORTOISE: Appears in episode 6. Powers include launchable shell
fragments, a cage hidden in the shell, and swimming.
* SCAR: Appears in episode 7. Powers include launchable drills from
the torso, reformation from miniature versions of itself, paralyzing
electric surges, a chain of rocks from the scalp, and can constrict
opponents when broken down.
* SHIVA: Appears in episode 8. Powers include swimming, four arms,
self duplication, a tornado attack produced by it and the self
duplicate, and levitation. It is based on the Hindu god of the same
name and is specifically states to be 60 meters tall and weighing at
* MANMOU: Appears in episode 9. Powers include ice burg encase, icy
vortexes from the ears that can freeze nearly anything, levitation,
twin ensnaring trunks, and four launchable trunks that regenerate
* JAGGER: Appears in episode 10. Powers include twin spiked buzzsaws
for each hand attached to chains, large jaws for the lower half of the
body, blade resistant armor, can turn into his former human self, a
constricting tentacle in the lower half jaws, a car mode, can withdraw
its head quickly, and spike missiles from the shoulders. His name is
pronounced as Jaguar, although his head appears to have more in common
with that or a lynx and a saber toothed tiger.
* GIRUDEEN: Appears in episode 11. Powers include arrows from the
mouth, swimming, flight, an imitation God Blade and God Boomerang on
the right wrist that can regenerate if destroyed. He is one of the
only two fossil beasts to appear in various
Super Robot Wars
* DIYAN MARK 1: Appears in episode 15.Powers include a pair of nunchucks, levitation, fire breath, ice breath, acidic melting beam, and head separation. * DIYAN MARK 2: Appears in episode 15. Powers include three cable linked diamond claws on the body, fire breath, ice breath, four diamond knuckle spikes on each hand, diamond teeth, regeneration, can combine its head horns to form a powerful boomerang, and a high resistance to heat such as lava.
* DROZDEN: Appears in episode 16. Powers include swimming, missile launchers in its fingers that can also fire small green flames, detachable scissors on the torso, regeneration even from decapitation, explosive grapple claw spikes on the pectorals, levitation, can cause whirlpools with its spiked tail, and mouth flames. * GOLEMON: Appears in episode 17. Powers include three axes in each shoulder, flight, an extendable pendulum tail, knee spinning sais, reformation, and energy beams from the pectorals. * TARANTU: Appears in episode 18. Powers include swimming, pink torso diamond beams called the Tarantu Death Beam, impaling electrical mouth webs, sword arms, barbed metal wire from the spinneret, levitation, three rockets in the abdomen, mandibles, four grapple legs on the abdomen, and a launchable sword in each shoulder. According to General Agyaru its power can rival that of 300,000 nuclear bombs.
* GREAT CONGER: Appears in episode 19. He is a gorilla that escaped captivity and became a fossil beast. Original mass was 15 meters high and weighted 8 ton before becoming the fossil beast Gongu.
* GONGU: Appears in episode 19. Powers include mouth flames, strong teeth that can chew projectiles, strength, and shoulder missiles.
* DOGCAT: Appears in episode 20. Powers include a machine gun turret on its back with electrical dagger bullets, swimming, wrist and ankle buzzsaws, pectoral glue guns, a rainbow heat ray from the mouth, reinforced teeth, blade resistance, and burrowing. * MUCHIRU: Appears in episode 21. Powers include iron teeth, twin maces with launchable spikes that regenerate after being used, extendable spiked whip tail, flight, hurricane winds from wings, electromagnetic rings called the Light Trap, energy absorbing with its tail, blade resistance, spiked torso rockets, and launchable arms. * MECHANICAL BEAST: Appears in episode 22. Powers include twin remote buzzsaws, powerful treads, three howitzer cannons, a large tank cannon, and submerging under and floating on top of water. * CONDORUN: Appears in episode 22. Powers include flight, ultra sharp talons with launchable feet, blue mouth flames, launchable back knife, blue energy bolts from the antennae, rapid fire missiles in each side of its torso, projectile resistance, and regeneration for its feet. * BOUGA: Appears in episode 22. Powers include swimming, torso rockets, flight, a launchable clamp, and head scissors. * MOGURON: Appears in episode 23. Powers include burrowing, swimming, a giant nose drill, and three missile launchers on the back. * KAMAGIRA: Appears in episode 23. Powers include sword arms with chains on them, pectoral rockets, and launchable pendulum tail missiles. * RAIDEEN ROBOT: Appears in episode 23. Powers include a false God Breaker and armor similar to that of Raideen's Mutronium armor. It is used for training fossil beasts and was quickly destroyed by Kamagira. * KIBANGO: Appears in episode 24. Powers include spawning mouth blizzards, a long extendable hook finger on each hand with freezing properties, explosive launchable tusks with needle missiles, levitation, a drill missile launcher for its belt buckle, and cutters from the abdomen. Unlike other fossil beasts it was created by Barao over ten thousand years before the time of the episode. * NIBANGO: Appears in episode 24 and is a green colored clone of Kibango with all of the same powers. * MODOROSU: Appears in episode 25. Powers include surrounding itself in a giant fire ball, swimming, four missile launchers on the abdomen, drill missiles on the pelvis, rotating claw arms, flight, a mouth flamethrower, detachable wheels with spiked missiles, and buffalo horns that charge up with heat. * GAMEREN: Appears in episodes 25 and 26. Powers include reviving the other fossil beasts, camouflage to the point of fusing with the environment, high jumping, a Chinese sword, an extendable tongue, and torso spike missiles. * ANT LION: Appears in episode 27. Powers include burrowing, eight torso cannons, eight extendable pincer arms, mandibles and fangs that emit electricity, blade resistant armor, and flight.
* GIANT SHARKIN: Appears in episode 27. Powers include a shield that
acts like a buzzsaw, a rapier, hair missiles, and his cape will coil
if torn from his body. Appears in various
Super Robot Wars
* SALAMANDER: Appears in episode 35. Powers include mouth flames strong enough to reduce rock into cinder, claw missiles, a high body temperature with flame emission, a trident tail, flight, yellow eye heat beams, electrical bolts from the dragon mustache, launchable flaming abdomen scales, a missile launcher on each pectoral, and mutating liquid from the neck.
* SALAMANDER HYDRA: Appears in episode 35. Powers include flight, slicing waves of water from the hands, armor strong enough to break weapons on contact and survive a ram attack from the God Bird, a ninjato that can slice through Mutronium, launchable crescent bladed staffs from the back, a mechanical tentacle in each shoulder with hidden drills in them, . It is a combination of Hydra after being mutated by Salamander's mutating liquid and one of his flaming abdomen scales, however, if the scale is damaged Hydra will revert to its normal form.
* GABUSS: Appears in episode 36. Powers include pendulum bladed arms and flight. * MADANGA: Appears in episode 36. Powers include a crossbow for the right hand that can morph into a drill, explosive lava arrows stored on its back with arrowheads that pierce through Mutronium, tank treads on the feet, flight, reformation as long as its human host Yurika has its core, can control its arms after they are severed, and a mouth flamethrower that can be used underwater. Appears in Super Robot Wars Compact 2 and Impact. * ZAIKRON: Appears in episode 37. Powers include swimming, a 10-tube missile launcher in the torso, flight, coiling treads in each shoulder that emit massive amounts of heat, reformation, and saw-like wheels on the hips. * MATAZU: Appears in episode 38. Its only known power is a launchable drill on a chain for its head.
* DANGUS: A centipede-like colossal monster that fuses with objects around it, it possesses two different forms for battle and can swim or fly for quick escapes.
* FORM 1: Appears in episode 38. Powers include tank treads on the feet, a crane claw for the left arm, a mace on a wire for the right arm, reformation, and pink electrical bolts for the satellite dishes on its scalp. * FORM 2: Appears in episode 38. Powers include swimming, torpedo launchers from the body, kamikaze planes used as projectiles, machine gun turrets all over its body, reforming, and coiling electric tendrils.
* GANDULAS: Appears in episode 39. Powers include a trident and
* GIGAR: Appears in episode 39. Powers include retracting into its
tail, sharp claws, a rib cage-like set of blades that extend long
distances, flight, invisibility, needle missiles from below the neck
capable of shredding Mutronium, and a large blade resistant mace tail.
* GUDURA: Appears in episode 40. Powers include body part
separation, bladed segments, and can encase body parts in flames.
* CROSS JET: Appears in episode 40. Powers include dual heads on
opposite sides of its body, strength, flight, explosive skin bits that
act like homing mines, regeneration over the course of hours, a pair
of rocket launchers in the torso, and using its body like a buzzsaw.
* KIBAMATA: Appears in episode 44. Powers include ice breath strong
enough to create snow storms, ice breast missiles, a sword-trident
hybrid staff, white eye ice beams, detachable constricting hair, and
needle missiles on the scalp.
* BIGATA: Appears in episode 44. Powers include levitation, mouth
flames, saber teeth, twenty four torpedoes in the torso, and a pair of
rockets on the back.
* SLADO: Appears in episode 47. Powers include levitation, homing
missiles, six fanged dragon heads, five saber toothed snake heads, and
Mutronium piercing swords in the body.
* GROSTAN: Appears in episode 47. Powers include flight, a pair of
buzzsaws on chains at the sides on its front, dual 3-tube rocket
launchers on the front with the rockets having electrical rope for
ensnaring, and yellow eye heat beams from the front head. Appears in
Super Robot Wars
Combined Colossal Monsters
* GARDON: Appears in episode 41. Powers include electrical bolts,
flames, and missiles from the dragon head mouths, a pair of saw bladed
round shields that can combine to fire a green electric beam, a whip
with a mace at the end, a rather weak grenade launcher for the left
hand that can barely damage an armored turret, a sword in the abdomen,
flight, a whip tail, regeneration, and buzzsaws on the soles of the
feet. It is a combination of two colossal monsters fused together by
Barao named Gundon and Gildon. Appears in
Super Robot Wars
* AKIRA HIBIKI:
* MARI SAKURANO: Makoto Kousaka , Kiyoko Shibata
* TAROU SARUMARU:
* DAN ARAISO: Keisuke Yamashita
* RIKI JINGUUJI:
* ICHIRO HIBIKI:
* REI ASUKA: Kotoe Taichi
* DAISABUROU HIGASHIYAMA: Shojiro Kihara
* PRINCE SHARKIN: Osamu Ichikawa
* DIRECTORS: Yoshiyuki Tomino (Episode 1-26) and Tadao Nagahama (Episode 27-50) * PLANNING: Tohokushinsha and Asatsu * ORIGINAL STORY: Yoshitake Suzuki * CHARACTER DESIGN: Yoshikazu Yasuhiko * MECHA DESIGN: Katsushi Murakami , Studio Nue (Uncredited), Yoshikazu Yasuhiko (Uncredited Finishing) * STORYBOARDS: Yoshiyuki Tomino * ANIMATION DIRECTOR: Yoshikazu Yasuhiko , Norio Sioyama , Moriyasu Taniguchi * SOUND DIRECTOR: Toshio Saito * SUPERVISING SOUND PRODUCTION: Kazumi Numata * MUSIC: Akihiro Komori * PRODUCED BY NET (now TV Asahi) and Tohokushinsha
Brave Raideen series is renowned in Japan as the first to
include a giant robot whose origins are mystical rather than
scientific; Raideen itself is in fact portrayed as a sentient being.
Raideen is also historically noteworthy for being one of the first
transforming giant robots (Goldar, from
Ambassador Magma , was an
earlier character, although Goldar's transformation from robot to
rocket ship was not a detailed mechanical transformation). The diecast
toy version of Raideen, released in Japan in 1975 by
Popy , was the
first true transforming robot toy.
Brave Raideen was the first anime
mecha work of anime director and writer
Yoshiyuki Tomino , better
known as the creator of
A low-budget Korean movie called SPACE THUNDER KIDS features a robot whose design appears to be a copy of Raideen's.
* 01. Gante, The Giant Dragon (大魔竜ガンテ) * 02. Bastodon, The Giant Fossil Beast (化石巨獣バストドン) * 03. Garda, The Iron Beast (鋼鉄獣ガーダ) * 04. Giant Maddon Annihilates Tokyo (大マドン東京全滅) * 05. Assault! Biira, The Ultrasonic Beast (強襲!超音獣ビイラ) * 06. Recapture! The Hostages of the Giant Tortasu (奪回! 巨大トータスの人質) * 07. Crush Skarl, the Replicating Beast! (分裂獣スカールを砕け!) * 08. Counterstrike! Shiva, the Double-Headed Devil Beast (逆襲! 双頭魔獣シバ) * 09. Terror! Manmo's Freezing Operation (恐怖! マンモーの冷凍作戦) * 10. Showdown! The Lover of Jagar, The Fossil Man (対決! 化石人ジャガーの恋) * 11. The Insurrection of Gildeen, The Assassin (殺し屋ギルディーンの陰謀) * 12. The Strike of Algandos, The Fireball Beast (火球獣アルガンドスの痛撃) * 13. The Love of Shuraga, The Beautiful Changeling (妖変美女シュラガの愛) * 14. The Cave of Daakuru, The Devil Beast of Darkness (暗闇魔獣ダアクルの洞窟) * 15. The Vengeance of Dian, The Jeweled Fossil Beast (宝石魔獣ダイヤンの復讐) * 16. The Hell-Strike of Dorozuden, The Sea Dragon (海竜ドローズデンの地獄攻め) * 17. The Immortal Goremon Rips The Devil To Shreads (不死身ゴーレモンの悪魔裂き) * 18. The Heroic Agyaru's Deadly Blitzkrieg (壮烈アギャール必殺の電撃) * 19. The Colossal Gonga: The Roar of Demonic Strength (巨獣ゴンガー魔腕の唸り) * 20. Brutal! Devil Admiral Darudan (残忍! 悪魔提督ダルタン) * 21. Assault! Trap of Muchiru, The Winged Beast (強撃!翼獣ムチールの罠) * 22. Chaotic Attack! The Talons of Kondorun, The Devil Bird (乱撃! 魔鳥コンドルンの爪) * 23. The Supernatural Scythe of Girah Chōja Raidīn) in 1996. This series was directed by Toshifumi Kawase. Five seemingly ordinary teenagers are actually superheroes called "Raideens" and their mission is to fight their enemy the so-called "Super Devils." This series was notably different than the original, more akin to a Super Sentai series or Tekkaman Blade than the original Raideen and having a Shōjo feel to it.
Main article: Reideen
On January 2007, a twenty-six episode series, simply titled REIDEEN (ライディーン; Raidīn), began transmission. In this remake, Saiga Junki, a high school student with a gift in mathematics, learns that his archaeologist father, who disappeared years earlier, has died. When going to claim his remains at a pyramid dubbed "Japan's Pyramid," a meteor falls from the sky containing an evil life-form that seeks total destruction. Just as Saiga is put in danger by this life-form, the bracelet that his father left him reacts to the pyramid, and the titular robot is activated. It is now up to Saiga and Reideen to defend the Earth against the mysterious invaders.
Brave Raideen is considered the first super robot anime to reach a
large U.S. audience directly. It was first broadcast in
The original toy figures of Raideen (spelled "Raydeen") were
introduced to the mainstream U.S. market as part of the Shogun
Warriors toyline during the late 1970s under the
In December 1994 police found a pamphlet at the headquarters of Aum
Shinrikyo that included a song called "
* ^ 古今名力士 (IN JAPANESE). EISAI CO. 2006-01-13. RETRIEVED
* ^ Broestl, Sean (2006). "
* v * t * e
Wandering Sun (1971)
Triton of the Sea (1972)
La Seine no Hoshi
Casshan (1973 - Storyboards)
Heidi, Girl of the Alps
* v * t * e
Invincible Robo Trider G7
Brave Exkaiser (1990–1991)
Mashin Hero Wataru
Mighty Cat Masked Niyander (2000–2001)
Banner of the Stars
* Mobile Suit
* Shiroi Kiba White Fang Monogatari (1982)
* VIFAM: News from Kachua (1984)
* Dirty Pair: Affair of Nolandia (1984)
* VIFAM: The Gathered 13 (1984)
* VIFAM: The Missing 12 (1985)
* VOTOMS: The Last Red Shoulder (1985)
* VIFAM: Kate\'s Memory (1985)
* GALIENT: Chapter of Ground (1986)
* GALIENT: Chapter of Sky (1986)
* VOTOMS: Big Battle (1986)
* GALIENT: Chapter of Iron (1986)
* LAYZNER: Eiji 1996 (1986)
* LAYZNER: Le Caine 1999 (1986)
* LAYZNER: Engraved 2000 (1986)
* L-GAIM: Pentagona Window + Lady Gablae (1986)
* L-GAIM: Farewell My Lovely + Pentagona Dolls (1987)
* Dirty Pair: With Love from the Lovely Angels (1987–1988)
* Dougram vs. Round-Facer (1987)
* L-GAIM: Fullmetal Soldier (1987)
* Dead Heat (1987)