HOME
The Info List - Ucayali Region


--- Advertisement ---



Ucayali
Ucayali
(Spanish pronunciation: [ukaˈʝali]) is an inland region in Peru. Located in the Amazon rainforest, its name is derived from the Ucayali
Ucayali
River. The regional capital is the city of Pucallpa.

Fountain in the city of Pucallpa.

Fishing piranha on the Ucayali
Ucayali
River.

Contents

1 Geography

1.1 Boundaries

2 Demographics

2.1 Population 2.2 Languages 2.3 Immigration 2.4 Age 2.5 Education

3 Political division

3.1 Provinces

4 Places of interest 5 External links

Geography[edit] Boundaries[edit] The Ucayali
Ucayali
Region is bordered by the Brazilian state of Acre on the east; the region of Madre de Dios on the southeast; Cusco on the south; Junín, Pasco and Huánuco on the west; and Loreto on the north. Demographics[edit] Population[edit] According to the 2007 Census, the Ucayali
Ucayali
Region has a population of 432,159 inhabitants, 51.4% of which (222,132) are male and 48.6% (210,027) are female. 75.3% of the population (325,347) live in urban areas while the remaining 24.7% (106,812) live in rural areas. As of 2002[update], the Instituto Nacional de Estadística e Informática estimated the region's population to be 468,922. Languages[edit] Spanish is spoken as a first language by 87.6% of the population, while 4.1% speak Asháninka, 1.5% speak Quechua and 0.1% speak Aymara. Other indigenous languages, including Shipibo, are spoken by 6.6% of the population and 0.0% speak foreign languages. Immigration[edit] Persons originating from other regions of the country make up 34.7% of the population and 0.2% of residents were born abroad. The largest immigrant groups come from the Loreto Region
Loreto Region
(12.5% of the total population). Age[edit] The population is spread out with 53.9% under the age of 20, 9.3% from 20 to 24, 25.4% from 25 to 44, 8.8% from 45 to 64, and 2.5% who are 65 years of age or older. Education[edit] Secondary education
Secondary education
has been attended by 29% of the population and 2.3% also have graduated from non-university higher education, while 1.7% have complete university studies. 49.3% only have attended primary education and 9.1% have not had any education. The illiteracy rate in the region is 14.2% Political division[edit] The region is divided into 4 provinces (Spanish: provincias, singular: provincia), which are composed of 14 districts (distritos, singular: distrito). Provinces[edit] The provinces, with their capitals in parentheses, are:

Atalaya (Atalaya) Coronel Portillo (Pucallpa) Padre Abad (Aguaytía) Purús (Esperanza)

Places of interest[edit]

El Sira Communal Reserve Purús Communal Reserve Immaculate Conception Cathedral, Pucallpa

External links[edit]

(in Spanish) Gobierno Regional de Ucayali
Ucayali
- Ucayali
Ucayali
Regional Government website

v t e

Regions of Peru

Amazonas Ancash Apurímac Arequipa Ayacucho Cajamarca Callao Cusco Huancavelica Huánuco Ica Junín La Libertad Lambayeque Lima Loreto Madre de Dios Moquegua Pasco Piura Puno San Martín Tacna Tumbes Ucayali

Peru's Lima Province
Lima Province
is not part of any region.

This Ucayali
Ucayali
Region geography article is a stub. You can help by expandi

.