The STATES OF GUERNSEY (French : États de Guernesey) is the
parliament of the
British Crown dependency of
When constituted as a legislature , it is officially called the States of Deliberation. When constituted as an electoral college , it is officially called the States of Election .
Legislation passed by the States is termed Laws (Loi), which take effect in the island by Order-in-Council. Minor and secondary legislation does not require the assent of the Queen-in-Council and are known as Ordinances (Ordonnances).
* 1 States of Deliberation * 2 History * 3 Recent election results * 4 Current Deputies and Representatives * 5 See also * 6 References * 7 External links
STATES OF DELIBERATION
The States of Deliberation consists of 38 People's Deputies, elected
from multi-member districts every four years. Two
There are also two non-voting members being the Law Officers of the Crown - the Procureur ( Attorney General ) and the Comptroller (Solicitor General ) both appointed by the monarch. The Bailiff presides over the States.
The legislature derives its name from the estates (French: états) of
the Crown , the Church and the people from whom the assembly was
originally summoned. The Jurats , representing the Crown, and the
representatives of the
Church of England
Until the General Election of 2000, there were 33 Deputies elected with three year mandates, and 12 Conseillers representing the Bailiwick, serving terms of six years, with half being elected every three. The Conseillers were not originally directly elected by the people (although latterly directly elected by Bailiwick-wide vote), and the office has now been abolished. The 10 Douzaine representatives (representing parish authorities) were removed from the States in the 2004 constitutional reform. In 2016 the number of deputies was reduced to 38
RECENT ELECTION RESULTS
The last general election was on 27 April 2016 .
* 2016 results * 2012 results * 2008 results * 2004 results
CURRENT DEPUTIES AND REPRESENTATIVES
Constitution of the States of Deliberation as at October 2016:
* Richard Graham
* Chris Green - President Scrutiny Management Committee
* Barry Paint - President Transport Licensing Authority
* Mark Dorey
Jonathan Le Tocq
Saint Peter Port North District
* John Gollop - President Development & Planning Authority * Charles Parkinson - President States Trading Supervisory Board * Lester Queripel * Michelle Le Clerc - President Employment text-align:left; vertical-align:top;">
Saint Peter Port South District
* Peter Ferbrache - President Economic Development Committee * Jan Kuttelwascher * Dawn Tindall * Barry Brehaut - President Environment & Infrastructure Committee * Rhian Tooley
St Sampson District
* Matt Fallaize - President States Assembly and Constitution Committee * Neil Inder * Mary Lowe - President Home Affairs Committee * Laurie Queripel * Jeremy Smithies * Sarah Hansmann Rouxel
* Al Brouard * Andrea Dudley-Owen * Emilie Yerby - President Overseas Aid -webkit-column-width: 30em; column-width: 30em; list-style-type: decimal;">
* ^ "