MU‘āWīYYA or MUAWIYAH or MUAAWIYA (معاوية) is a male Arabic
given name of disputed meaning. It was the name of the first Umayyad
Notable bearers of this name include:
Muawiyah I (602–680), first
Umayyad Caliph (r. 661–680)
Muawiya II (661–684), third
Umayyad Caliph (r. 683–684)
* Mu\'awiya ibn Hudayj , Umayyad general and governor
* Mu\'awiya ibn Hisham (died 737), Umayyad prince and general (fl.
* Maaouya Ould Sid\'Ahmed Taya (born 1941), Prime-Minister, then
President of Mauritania
* Mu\'awiyah Rayyan Nieshaem ibn Mohd Elfie Nieshaem , son of
Malaysian Islamist activist who was exposed for his pornography
* ^ "Tareekh-ul-Khulafa". Scribd.com. 2010-09-26. Archived from the
original on December 5, 2013. Retrieved 2014-03-27.