LAURA BOLDRINI, OMRI (Italian pronunciation: ; born 28 April 1961)
is an Italian journalist and politician who has been President of the
Chamber of Deputies of
* 1 Biography
* 2 Honours and decorations
* 2.1 National Honors * 2.2 Foreign Honors
* 3 Writings
* 3.1 Books
* 4 References * 5 External links
From 1993 until 1998 she worked at the
World Food Programme (WFP) as
the Italian spokesperson. From 1998 to 2012 she was spokesperson of
the High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), for whom she also
coordinated public information campaigns in
Boldrini was elected to the Italian Chamber of Deputies in the 2013
parliamentary election as an independent candidate in the Left Ecology
Freedom party list, who together with their coalition allies in the
Democratic Party and in
On 16 March 2013, following a meeting between the Democratic Party and Left Ecology Freedom, Boldrini was proposed by the coalition Italy Common Good as candidate for the Presidency of the Chamber of Deputies. She was elected President of the Chamber of Deputies on the same day, receiving 327 votes out of a possible 618. She is the third woman, after Nilde Iotti (1979 to 1992) and Irene Pivetti (1994–1996), to fill this role.
She has taken a firm stance against "fake news" believing it to lead to forms of hate speech . She has proposed that facebook be more active in regulating these forms of postings.
HONOURS AND DECORATIONS
* Tutti indietro (in Italian). Milano: Rizzoli . 2010. p. 216. ISBN 978-88-17-03990-1 . BUR edition: 2013. ISBN 978-88-586-4488-1 . * Solo le montagne non si incontrano mai. Storia di Murayo e dei suoi due padri (in Italian). Milano: Rizzoli. 2013. p. 162. ISBN 978-88-586-4347-1 .
* ^ A B C D "Profile of Laura Boldrini". The official website of
the Chamber of Deputies of the Italian Republic.
* ^ A B Occurrences on Google.
* ^ Wong, Joon Ian. "Top Italian politician