A CONGRESS is a formal meeting of the representatives of different nations , constituent states , independent organizations (such as trade unions ), or groups.
The term was chosen for the Continental Congress to emphasize the status of each colony represented there as a self-governing unit. Subsequent to the use of _congress_ by the U.S. legislature, the term has been adopted by many states _within_ unions, and by unitary nation-states in the Americas , to refer to their legislatures .
* 1 Political congress
* 1.1 Congresses of nations * 1.2 Congresses within nations * 1.3 Association congresses * 1.4 Historic congresses * 1.5 Other countries with _Congresses_ * 1.6 Political parties and organizations * 1.7 Party congresses * 1.8 Miscellaneous political congresses
* 2 Labor congresses
* 3 Non-political congresses
* 3.1 Scientific congress * 3.2 Athletic sports congress * 3.3 Chess congress
* 4 References * 5 External links
CONGRESSES OF NATIONS
The following congresses were formal meetings of representatives of different nations:
* The Congress of Aix-la-Chapelle (1668), which ended the War of Devolution * The Congress of Aix-la-Chapelle (1748), which ended the War of the Austrian Succession * The Congress of Aix-la-Chapelle (1818) * The Congress of Berlin (1878), which settled the Eastern Question after the Russo-Turkish War (1877-1878) * The Congress of Gniezno (1000) * The Congress of Laibach (1821) * The Congress of Panama , an 1826 meeting organized by Simon Bolivar . * The Congress of Paris (1856), which ended the Crimean War * The Congress of Troppau (1820) * The Congress of Tucumán (1816) * The Congress of Utrecht (1712-1713) * The Congress of Verona (1822) * The Congress of Vienna (1814-15), which settled the shape of Europe after the Napoleonic Wars * The Congress of the Council of Europe .
CONGRESSES WITHIN NATIONS
COUNTRIES WITH CONGRESSES AND PRESIDENTIAL SYSTEMS :
* The Congress of Guatemala (Spanish: _Congreso de la República_) is the unicameral legislature of Guatemala . * The National Congress of Honduras (Spanish: _Congreso nacional_) is the legislative branch of the government of Honduras . * The Congress of Mexico (Spanish : _Congreso de la Unión_) is the legislative branch of Mexican government. * The