BRYN MAWR (pronounced /ˌbrɪnˈmɑːr/ ; from Welsh for "great
hill") is a census-designated place (CDP) located across Radnor and
Haverford Townships in Delaware County,
* 1 History * 2 Geography * 3 Demographics * 4 Notable people * 5 School system * 6 Points of interest * 7 References
Bryn Mawr is named after an estate near
Until 1869 and the coming of the
In 1893, the first hospital,
Bryn Mawr Hospital
Bryn Mawr is located at 40°1′16″N 75°19′01″W / 40.02111°N 75.31694°W / 40.02111; -75.31694 (40.021022, −75.316901).
Part of Bryn Mawr is located in Delaware County, located at the coordinates 40°1' 25.0212"N 75°19' 46.1676"W, its zip code is 19010 with a total population of 3,779.
However, the "Bryn Mawr" zip code (19010) covers a larger area, and
as a result, the geographic term "Bryn Mawr" is often used in a sense
that includes not only the CDP, but also other areas that share the
zip code. These other areas include the community of Rosemont within
Lower Merion Township and Radnor Township , and various other areas
within Lower Merion Township, Radnor Township, and Haverford Township
. Bryn Mawr is a part of the
As of the census of 2010, there were 3,779 people, 1,262
households, and 497 families residing in the CDP. The population
density was 7,033.7 people per square mile (2,728.9/km2). There were
1,481 housing units at an average density of 2,377.2/sq mi
(922.3/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 74.0% White , 10.5%
Black or African American , 0.0% Native American , 10.7% Asian , 0.1%
Pacific Islander , 1.2% from other races , and 3.6% from two or more
races. 4.9% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
21.1% were of Irish , 10.8% Italian , 6.8% German and 6.4% English
ancestry according to
There were 1,404 households, out of which 13.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 26.8% were married couples living together, 8.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 62.6% were non-families. 41.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 13.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.07 and the average family size was 2.79.
In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 8.4% under the age of 18, 48.1% from 18 to 24, 21.0% from 25 to 44, 12.1% from 45 to 64, and 10.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 22 years. For every 100 females there were 46.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 42.4 males.
Constance Applebee , athletic director at
Bryn Mawr College for 24
Julius Wesley Becton, Jr. , retired
POINTS OF INTEREST
Bryn Mawr College
Wikivoyage has a travel guide for BRYN MAWR .
* ^ Mackey & Mackey (1922) The Pronunciation of 10,000 Proper Names
* ^ "Snowdonia National Park Authority". Archived from the original
on September 28, 2007. Retrieved April 18, 2007.
National Park Service
* v * t * e
Lower Merion Township,
* Ardmore ‡ * Bala Cynwyd * Belmont Hills * Bryn Mawr‡ * Gladwyne * Haverford ‡ * Merion * Penn Valley * Penn Wynne * Rosemont ‡ * Wynnewood
Belmont Hills Elementary School
Cynwyd Elementary School
* French International School of
COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES
REGIONAL RAIL STATIONS
* Merion * Wynnewood * Ardmore * Haverford * Bryn Mawr * Rosemont * Bala * Cynwyd
FOOTNOTES ‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties
* v * t * e
* Bryn Athyn
* East Greenville
* Green Lane
* Abington * Cheltenham * Douglass * East Norriton * Franconia * Hatfield * Horsham * Limerick * Lower Frederick * Lower Gwynedd * Lower Merion * Lower Moreland * Lower Pottsgrove * Lower Providence * Lower Salford * Marlborough * Montgomery * New Hanover * Perkiomen * Plymouth * Salford * Skippack * Springfield * Towamencin * Upper Dublin * Upper Frederick * Upper Gwynedd * Upper Hanover * Upper Merion * Upper Moreland * Upper Pottsgrove * Upper Providence * Upper Salford * West Norriton * West Pottsgrove * Whitemarsh * Whitpain * Worcester
* Arcadia University * Ardmore ‡ * Audubon * Blue Bell * Bryn Mawr * Eagleville * Evansburg * Flourtown * Fort Washington * Gilbertsville * Glenside * Halfway House * Harleysville * Haverford College ‡ * Horsham * King of Prussia * Kulpsville * Maple Glen * Montgomeryville * Oreland * Penn Wynne * Plymouth Meeting * Pottsgrove * Sanatoga * Skippack * Spring House * Spring Mount * Stowe * Trooper * Willow Grove * Woxall * Wyncote * Wyndmoor
* Arcola * Ardsley * Ashmead Village * Bala Cynwyd * Barren Hill * Belmont Hills * Bethayres * Camp Hill * Cedarbrook * Cedars * Center Point * Center Square * Chapel ‡ * Colmar * Congo * Creamery * Crestmont * Cheltenham * Dresher * Earlington * Edge Hill * Elkins Park * Erdenheim * Eureka ‡ * Fairview Village * Fitzwatertown * Franconia * Frederick * Fulmor * Geryville ‡ * Gladwyne * Graterford * Gulph Mills * Gwynedd * Gwynedd Valley * Haverford ‡ * Hollywood * Huntingdon Valley * Jarrettown * Lafayette Hill * La Mott * Laverock * Layfield * Lederach * Line Lexington ‡ * Linfield * Mainland * McKinley * Meadowbrook * Melrose Park * Merion * Mingo * Miquon * Mont Clare * Montgomery Square * New Hanover Square * Noble * North Hills * Oaks * Obelisk * Palm * Penn Valley * Perkiomenville * Port Indian * Port Kennedy * Port Providence * Prospectville * Rahns * Rosemont ‡ * Roslyn * Roychester * Rydal * Salford * Salfordville * Sassamansville * Spring Mill * Sumneytown * Swedeland * Three Tuns * Tylersport * Unionville ‡ * Villanova ‡ * Wayne ‡ * West Point * Worcester * Wynnewood ‡ * Yerkes * Zieglerville
FOOTNOTES ‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or