Bacon cake is a dish made with bacon, either savory or sweet, and generally baked in an oven, although it's sometimes cooked in a skillet on a range top.
Savory bacon cake
A savory bacon cake is like a potato cake, and can be made with potatoes or other root vegetables such as parsnips. An 1830 cookbook offers a simple recipe consisting of cooked bacon, flour, salt, and water.
Estonian pekikook is a bacon cake not unlike a quiche, made with eggs and a small amount of flour.
Sweet bacon cake
Cake with a topping of bacon
A sweet bacon cake typically has bacon as a flavor accent or topping. Bacon pairs well with chocolate, and recipes for chocolate bacon cake are legion. A related item is the bacon cupcake.
Bacon cake as a guilty pleasure is found among various American authors including Dan Savage and Garrison Keillor.
- ^ "Bacon Cake Made Right in Skillet". The Palm Beach Post. 20 April 1972. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- ^ Grimes, Lulu (2006). Cooking from Scratch. Murdoch Books. p. 138. ISBN 9781740457903.
- ^ Rogers, Juliet; Scarlett, Kay (2010). Meals Made Easy. Murdoch Books. p. 35. ISBN 9781741969030.
- ^ Dolby, Richard (1830). The Cook's Dictionary and House-keeper's Directory: A New Family Manual of Cookery and Confectionery, on a Plan of Ready Reference, Never Hitherto Attempted. Henry Colburn and Richard Bentley. p. 35.
- ^ Kärner, Karin Annus (2005). Estonian Tastes and Traditions. Hippocrene Books. p. 221. ISBN 9780781811224.
- ^ Jaani, Virgo (14 August 2006). "Toitlustamine" (in Estonian). Pulmad.ee. Archived from the original on 24 March 2014. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- ^ "Maple Bacon Upside Down Cake recipe from Betty Crocker". Betty Crocker. 2013. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- ^ Hatmaker, Julia (12 February 2014). "How to make Apple Bacon Cinnamon Cake: Bacontine's Day". The Patriot-News. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- ^ "Chocolatey Bacon Cake". Noble Pig. 17 February 2014. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- ^ "Bacon-Laced Chocolate Cake". Better Homes and Gardens. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- ^ Andreadis, Cleopatra (30 March 2009). "Bacon Cupcakes, Bacon Cake? Why Not?". ABC News. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- ^ "Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes with Maple Frosting". The Novice Chef. 11 September 2010. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- ^ Savage, Dan (2003). Skipping Towards Gomorrah. Penguin. p. 107. ISBN 9781101118139.
- ^ Keillor, Garrison (2013). O, What a Luxury: Verses Lyrical, Vulgar, Pathetic and Profound. Grove/Atlantic. p. 89. ISBN 9780802193032.
- ^ Kraig, Bruce (2013). Street Food Around the World: An Encyclopedia of Food and Culture. ABC-CLIO. p. 333. ISBN 9781598849554.
- ^ Pagrach-Chandra, Gaitri (2009). Warm Bread and Honey Cake. Anova Books. p. 132. ISBN 9781862058415.