Topic summary

Supply function

Supply function

Extracted from the Wikipedia article Supply (economics).

Supply function and equation

Supply functions, then, may be classified according to the source from which they come: consumers or firms. Each type of supply function is now considered in turn. In so doing, the following notational conventions are employed: There are I produced goods, each defining a single industry, and J factors. The indices i = 1,..., I and J = 1,..., J run, respectively, over produced goods (industries) and factors. Let n index all goods by first listing produced goods and then factors so that n = 1,..., I, I + 1,..., I + J. The number of firms in industry i is written L i, and these firms are indexed by l = 1,..., L i. There are K consumers enumerated as k = 1,..., K. The variable represents the quantities of factor j consumed by consumer k. This person can have endowments of good j from to . If < then person k is a supplier of j. If the opposite is true, they are a consumer of j.