Topic summary
Ptolemy I Soter

Pharaoh of Egypt from 305 to 282 BC Ptolemy I SoterBust of Ptolemy I.Pharaoh and King of the Ptolemaic KingdomReign305 – January 282 BCPredecessorAlexander IVSuccessorPtolemy II PhiladelphusRoyal titulary Horus name wr-pḥty nsw ḳniWer pehty nesu qenyGreat of strength and brave king Nebty name iṯi m sḫm ḥḳꜢ ṯlItji em sekhem heqa tjelWho has seized with (his own) power, the ruler of Sile Prenomen stp n rꜤ mry imnSetepenre meryimenChosen by Ra and beloved of Amun Nomen ptwlmysPtolemysPtolemy Consorts Thaïs Artakama Eurydice Berenice Children Ptolemy Keraunos Meleager Arsinoe II Philotera Lysandra Ptolemy II Philadelphus Berenice Irene Lagus Leontiscus Ptolemais FatherLagusMotherArsinoe of MacedonBornc. 369/68 BCEordaea, Macedon, GreeceDiedJanuary 282 BC (aged 86–87)Alexandria, EgyptDynastyPtolemaic dynasty Ptolemy I Soter (/ˈtɒləmi/; Greek: Πτολεμαῖος Σωτήρ, Ptolemaîos Sōtḗr, "Ptolemy the Savior"; c. 369/68 BC – January 282 BC) was a Macedonian Greek general, historian, and successor of Alexander the Great who went on to found the Ptolemaic Kingdom centered in Egypt. Ptolemy was king and pharaoh of Ptolemaic Egypt from 305/304 BC to his