Topic summary

Multi-National Force – Iraq

Multi-National Force – Iraq

The Multi-National Force – Iraq (MNF-I), often referred to as the Coalition forces, was a U.S.-led military command during the Iraq War from 2004 to 2009.

The vast majority of MNF-I was made up of U.S. Army forces. It supervised British, Australian, Polish, Spanish, and other countries' forces. It replaced the previous force, Combined Joint Task Force 7, on 15 May 2004. It was significantly reinforced during the Iraq War troop surge of 2007. MNF-I was reorganized into its successor, United States Forces – Iraq, on 1 January 2010.

The United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq, which does humanitarian work and has a number of guards and military observers, has also operated in Iraq since 2003. The U.N. Assistance Mission in Iraq was not a part of the MNF-I, but a separate entity. The NATO Training Mission – Iraq, was in Iraq from 2004 to December 2011, where it trained the Iraqi Army and the Iraqi Police. This NATO mission was later followed by NATO Mission Iraq, which formed in 2018 at the request of the Government of Iraq to help build more sustainable, transparent, inclusive and effective Iraqi armed forces and security institutions.