Topic summary

Hellenistic armies

Hellenistic armies

Armies of the Hellenistic kingdoms Hellenistic armiesAncient Macedonian paintings of Hellenistic-era military armor, arms, and gear from the Tomb of Lyson and Kallikles in ancient Mieza (modern-day Lefkadia), Imathia, Central Macedonia, Greece, dated 2nd century BC.LeadersEumenesAntigonus ISeleucus I NicatorDemetrius PoliorcetesPtolemy I SoterLysimachusPyrrhus of EpirusAntigonus GonatasXanthippus (Spartan commander)Ptolemy IIICleomenes IIIAntigonus DosonAntiochus III the GreatPhilip V of MacedonPhilopoemenDemetrius I of BactriaMenander IMithridates VICleopatraAllegiancevarious Hellenistic statesActive regionsHellenistic worldPreceded byMacedonian armySpartan armyAthenian militaryAncient Greek warfare The Hellenistic armies is a term that refers to the various armies of the successor kingdoms to the Hellenistic period, emerging soon after the death of Alexander the Great in 323 BC, when the Macedonian empire was split between his successors, known as the Diadochi (Ancient Greek: Διάδοχοι). Initially, the Hellenistic armies were very similar to those commanded by Alexander the Great, but during the era of the Epigonoi (Ἐπίγονοι, "Successors") the differences became o