YANG KUAN (1914 − September 1, 2005) was a Chinese historian
specializing in pre-
* 1 Early life and education * 2 Doubting Antiquity School * 3 Career * 4 Publications * 5 Later life * 6 References
EARLY LIFE AND EDUCATION
Yang Kuan was born in Qingpu County,
After high school Yang attended Kwang Hua University in
DOUBTING ANTIQUITY SCHOOL
Yang Kuan gained fame at a young age. In 1933, aged 19, he published
his first essay Probing the Legend of
Pangu . In 1939, just three
years after graduating from college, Yang was invited by
Yang is generally considered a member of the Doubting Antiquity
School, as he argued that the pre-
Xia Dynasty history recorded in
ancient texts was "historization" of prehistoric mythology, a position
that is widely accepted by today's historians. However, he disagreed
Yang Kuan was appointed curator of
Yang Kuan published his most influential work, History of the Warring States, in 1955. In 1980, a greatly expanded second edition was completed, with major revisions based on new archaeological discoveries made during the intervening decades. He made further revisions in the third edition of 1985. This work is widely considered the most authoritative treatment of the subject, and was included in the official China Chronology Series (中国断代史系列). Another work by Yang, History of the Western Zhou, was also included in the series. In total Yang Kuan published more than a dozen books and 225 essays.
Yang Kuan moved to the United States, settling in
* ^ A B C D E F Wei Chengsi (2011-05-23).
"我的史学启蒙老师". nfpeople.com. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
* ^ A B Zhang Jinghua, Zhang Li; et al. (July 2003).
二十世纪疑古思潮 (IN CHINESE). RETRIEVED 2012-04-27.
* ^ Richter, Ursula (June 1994). "Historical Scepticism in the New
* WorldCat Identities * VIAF : 18541698 * LCCN : n81048188 * ISNI : 0000 0000 8204 3071 * GND : 139827552 * SUDOC : 121397238 * NLA : 36730510 * NDL : 00317948
Links: ------ /wiki/Qin_Dynasty /wiki/Warring_States_period /#cite_note-wei-1 /#Early_life_and_education /#Doubting_Antiquity_School /#Career