The annual WORLD PIE EATING CHAMPIONSHIP is usually held at Harry's
Bar on Wallgate,
In December 2006, in the competition, the meat and potato pies were all 12 cm (5 in) in diameter with a depth of 3.5 cm (1.5 in). In the separate vegetarian contest, the pies were 10 cm (4 in) by 3 cm (1.2 in). In December 2007, in the competition, entries included a competitor's dog, Charlie, who had eaten twenty pies and damaged a further ten the night before the competition, nearly jeopardizing the event.
* 1 Winners
* 1.1 1992 * 1.2 1995 * 1.3 1998 * 1.4 2005 * 1.5 2006 * 1.6 2007 * 1.7 2008 * 1.8 2009 * 1.9 2010 * 1.10 2011 * 1.11 2012 * 1.12 2013 * 1.13 2014 * 1.14 2016
* 2 Controversy
* 2.1 Imported pies * 2.2 Quantity to speed * 2.3 Lack of stock * 2.4 Wrongly sized pies
* 3 Background * 4 References
Dave Smyth, a painter from Hindley , won the inaugural contest in 1992, when he ate four pies in three minutes.
Dave Williams of
Scott Ormrod of Aspull,
Anthony "The Anaconda" Danson, a weight trainer from Lancashire, managed to eat seven pies in three minutes, setting a new record.
Adrian Frost (42) from
Fred Wyatt, a sixty one year old warehouse packer won the 2008 Championship, which was broadcast live on the internet by pie per view.
Barry Rigby, a warehouseman won, eating a pie in forty five seconds.
Neil Collier, aged 42, won this contest, with a new World Record of 23.91 seconds.
James Robinson, aged just 24, won, with a time of 23.49 seconds. He retired from the competition following this to focus on taking up the trade professionally.
Martin Clare won, with a new record time of 22.53 secs.
Ian Coulton of
Former champion Barry Rigby once again recorded the best time.
Callum eden won the title in 2016 with a shocking 6.72 pies in 7 minutes. He now holds the title of youngest championship within the UK.
The reigning champion, Martin Appleton-Clare registered a record breaking third win to take the 2016 Championship.
In December 2005, controversy was caused, when pies were imported
QUANTITY TO SPEED
In November 2006, more controversy was caused, when the competition was changed (to meet government healthy eating guidelines) from the number of pies consumed in a given time, to the fastest time to consume a single pie.
LACK OF STOCK
In December 2007, controversy struck again for the third year running, when the competition actually ran out of pies before the competition had finished.
WRONGLY SIZED PIES
In December 2014, pies of the wrong size were delivered to the event, while the intended pies were sent to a nearby divorce party. The contestants competed with halved pies, but the results were nullified. The head of the World Pie Eating Championship went to court on the television show Judge Rinder because of this, against the pie maker of the wrongly sized pies, but was awarded nothing.
This very article was featured as evidence in the episode, referred to as "an online encyclopaedia website" by Robert Rinder . Last names were removed however, to protect identities and possibly copyright issues.
Wiganers are proud to be called pie eaters, but the nickname is not
thought to be because of their appetite for the delicacy. The name is
said to date from the 1926
* ^ "Pie-eating championship goes slimline". guardian.co.uk.
London: Guardian News and Media. 23 November 2006.
* ^ A B "Dog jeopardises pie championships". BBC News. 13 December
* ^ A B Rooth, Ben (22 November 2006). "Only one pie each at world
title scoff". Manchester Evening News. M.E.N. Media.
* ^ Neil Tweedie (16 December 2005). "Pie championship is a piece
of cake for The Anaconda". The Telegraph. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
* ^ "The pie\'s the limit for Adrian". wigantoday.net. 14 December
2007. Retrieved 24 February 2009.
* ^ "World Pie Eating contest at
* v * t * e
* Patrick Bertoletti * Eric Booker * Dale Boone * Joey Chestnut * Crazy Legs Conti * Erik Denmark * Michael DeVito * Jed Donahue * Charles Hardy * Tim Janus * Steve Keiner * Joe LaRue * Carlene LeFevre * Rich LeFevre * Don Lerman * Kevin Lipsitz * Rick The Manager * Bozo Miller * David O\'Karma * Molly Schuyler * Bob Shoudt * Matt Stonie * L.A. Beast * Brian Subich * Miki Sudo * Sonya Thomas * Furious Pete * Peter Dowdeswell * Theetta Rappai * Takako Akasaka * Takeru Kobayashi * Gal Sone
COMPETITIONS AND ORGANIZATIONS
* Association of Independent Competitive Eaters
International Federation of Competitive Eating
Major League Eating
* Nathan\'s Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest
National Buffalo Wing Festival