ERNST WILHELM "WIM" WENDERS (German: ; born 14 August 1945) is a German filmmaker , playwright , author , photographer , and a major figure in New German Cinema . Among many honors, he has received three nominations for the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature : for _Buena Vista Social Club _ (1999), about Cuban music culture, _Pina _ (2011), about the contemporary dance choreographer Pina Bausch , and _The Salt of the Earth _ (2014), about Brazilian photographer Sebastião Salgado .
One of Wenders' earliest honors was a win for the BAFTA Award for
Best Direction for his narrative drama _Paris, Texas _ (1984), which
also won the Palme d\'Or at the 1984
Cannes Film Festival
Wenders has been the president of the
European Film Academy
* 1 Early life * 2 Career * 3 Photography * 4 Selected exhibitions * 5 Legacy and honors * 6 Filmography * 7 Selected bibliography * 8 See also * 9 References * 10 External links
Wenders was born in
Düsseldorf into a traditionally Catholic family.
His father, Heinrich Wenders, was a surgeon. The use of the Dutch name
"Wim" is a shortened version of the baptismal name "Wilhelm/Willem".
As a boy, he took unaccompanied trips to Amsterdam to visit the
Set on making his obsession also his life's work, Wenders returned to
Wenders completed several short films before graduating from the Hochschule with a feature-length 16mm black and white film, _Summer in the City _.
Wenders began his career during the
New German Cinema era of the late
1960s, making his feature directorial debut with _Summer in the City _
(1970). Much of the distinctive cinematography in his movies is the
result of a highly productive long-term collaboration with Dutch
Robby Müller . Some of his more successful and
critically acclaimed movies—_Paris, Texas _ and _
Wings of Desire
Wenders has directed several highly acclaimed documentaries, most notably _Buena Vista Social Club _ (1999), about Cuban musicians, and _ The Soul of a Man _ (2003), on American blues. He has also directed a documentary style film on the Skladanowsky brothers , known in English as _A Trick of the Light_. The Skladanowsky brothers were inventing 'moving pictures' when several others like the Lumiere brothers and Friese-Greene were doing the same. Alongside _Buena Vista Social Club _ also his documentaries on Pina Bausch , _Pina _, and Sebastiao Salgado , _The Salt of the Earth _, got him a nomination for an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature .
He has also directed many music videos for groups such as U2 and
Talking Heads , including "
Stay (Faraway, So Close!) " and "Sax and
Violins ". His television commercials include a UK advertisement for
Carling Premier Canadian beer.
Wenders' book, _Emotion Pictures_, a collection of diary essays
written while a film student, was adapted and broadcast as a series of
BBC Radio 3 , featuring Peter Capaldi as Wenders, with Gina
Saskia Reeves ,
Dennis Hopper ,
Harry Dean Stanton
Wenders was collaborating with artist/journalist and longtime friend
Melinda Camber Porter on a documentary feature about his body of work,
Wenders is a member of the advisory board of World Cinema Foundation
. The project was founded by
In 2011 he was selected to stage the 2013 cycle of
While promoting his 3-D dance film, _Pina _, Wenders told the Documentary channel Blog in December 2011 that he has already begun work on a new 3-D documentary, this one about architecture. He also has said that he will only be working in the 3-D film format from now on. Wenders admired the dance choreographer Pina Bausch since 1985, but only with the advent of digital 3-D cinema did he decide that he could sufficiently capture her work on screen.
He will stage director debut for Georges Bizet 's opera _Les Pêcheurs de perles _ starring Olga Peretyatko , Francesco Demuro , conducted by Daniel Barenboim at Berlin State Opera in June 2017 (Staatsoper).
2016 "The Space Between the Characters Can Carry the Load", Collection Ivo Wessel, Weserburg Museum for modern Art, Bremen, DE 2015
* Wim Wenders: America, Villa e collezione la Panza, Varese, IT
* Wim Wenders: 4REAL & TRUE2. Wim Wenders. Landscapes and
Photographs, Museum Kunstpalast, Düsseldorf, DE
* "time capsules. by the side of the road. Wim Wenders' recent
BlainSouthern , Berlin, DE
* "In broad daylight even the sounds shine.
* Wim Wenders: Places Strange Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney (2003); City Art Gallery, Wellington, New Zealand; Millennium Art Museum, Beijing, China; Shanghai Museum of Art, Shanghai, China; Guangdong Museum of Art, Guangzhou, China (2004)
* Buena Vista Social Club, Rose Gallery, Bergamot Station, Santa Monica, California
* Wim Wenders: Landscape and Memory, Gallery of Contemporary Photography, Santa Monica * Wim Wenders: Photos, in conjunction with the publication, Wim Wenders: Photos, Munich Goethe Institute (1996), Goethe Institutes worldwide
* Wim Wenders: Landscape and Memory, Gallery of Contemporary Photography, Santa Monica, California
* Temple, Kyoto (1992); Musée de l\'Élysée ,
* Written in the West, in conjunction with the publication, Written in the West, Munich: Schirmer/Mosel (1987), touring exhibition: Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris (1986); Encontros de Fotografia, Coimbra (1987); Palazzo della Triennale di Milano (1988); Film Society of Miami (1988); Goethe Institut, Stockholm (1988); Goethe Institut, Copenhagen (1988); Saint-Yrieix-La-Perche (1990); Städtische Galerie Schwarzes Kloster, Freiburg (Breisgau) (1992)
LEGACY AND HONORS
Wenders has already received many awards, including the Golden Lion
for _The State of Things _ at the
Venice Film Festival
He has been awarded honorary doctorates at the Sorbonne in Paris in 1989 and at the Université Catholique de Louvain , Belgium in 2005.
In 2012 the
He was presented with the Honorary Golden Bear at the 65th Berlin International Film Festival in February 2015. In 2016 Wim Wenders received the „Großer Kulturpreis“ of the Sparkassen Culture-Foundation Rhineland, one of the highest endowed cultural honorings in Germany, with previous winners such as photographer legend Hilla Becher , sculptor Tony Cragg , musician Wolfgang Niedecken and director Sönke Wortmann .
YEAR ENGLISH TITLE GERMAN TITLE NOTES
1970 _Summer in the City _
First full-length feature film (Dedicated to The Kinks )
1972 _The Goalkeeper\'s Fear of the Penalty _ (UK) or _The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick_ (USA) _Die Angst des Tormanns beim Elfmeter_ Adaptation of a novel by Peter Handke
1975 _ The Wrong Move _ _Falsche Bewegung_ Second part of Wenders' Road Movie Trilogy, with Nastassja Kinski
1976 _ Kings of the Road _ _Im Lauf der Zeit_ Third part of Wenders' Road Movie Trilogy
1980 _ Lightning Over Water _
Documentary about the last days of Nicholas Ray
1982 _Hammett _
Room 666 _
Short documentary interviews directors on the future of cinema,
1982 _Reverse Angle _
Short film documents Wenders' disputes with Coppola during _Hammett _
1982 _The State of Things _ _Stand der Dinge_
1984 _Paris, Texas _
1984 _Docu Drama _
1985 _ Tokyo-Ga _
Documentary about Japanese film director Yasujirō Ozu
Wings of Desire
1990 _ Red Hot + Blue _
Music video for "Night and Day " performed by U2
1991 _ Until the End of the World _ _Bis ans Ende der Welt_
1992 _Arisha, the Bear and the Stone Ring _ _Arisha, der Bär und der steinerne Ring_
1994 _Lisbon Story _
Partially a sequel to _The State of Things _
1995 _Beyond the Clouds _ _Jenseits der Wolken_ (with Michelangelo Antonioni )
1995 _ A Trick of Light _ _Die Gebrüder Skladanowsky_ Also known as _The Brothers Skladanowsky_
1995 _ Lumière et compagnie _
1997 _ The End of Violence _
1998 _Willie Nelson at the Teatro _
1999 _Buena Vista Social Club _
Documentary about Cuban musicians; made with
2000 _ The Million Dollar Hotel _
2000 _Un matin partout dans le monde _
2001 _ Souljacker Part 1 _
Music Video for "Souljacker Pt 1" by Eels
2002 _Ode to Cologne: A Rock \'N\' Roll Film _ _Viel passiert - Der BAP-Film_ Documentary about the Cologne rock group BAP
2002 _ Ten Minutes Older _
Contributed segment "Twelve Miles to Trona"
2003 _Other Side of the Road _
2003 _ The Soul of a Man _
Documentary about Blues musicians
2004 _Land of Plenty _
2005 _Don\'t Come Knocking _
2007 _Invisibles _
Documentary (segment "Invisible Crimes")
2007 _ To Each His Own Cinema _
(segment "War in Peace")
2008 _ Palermo Shooting _
2008 _8 _
(segment "Person to Person")
_If Buildings Could
2011 _Pina _
Premiered Out of Competition at the Berlin Film Festival .
2012 _Mundo Invisível _
segment "Ver ou Não Ver"
2014 _The Salt of the Earth _
Documentary about photographer Sebastião Salgado
2015 _ Every Thing Will Be Fine _
2016 _ The Beautiful Days of Aranjuez _
2017 _ Submergence _
Filming began in March 2016
* Wenders, Wim (1984), _Paris, Texas_, Nördlingen: Greno, ISBN
* Wenders, Wim (1986), _Emotion pictures: Essays und Filmkritiken,
1968–1984_, Frankfurt: Verlag der Autoren, ISBN 978-3-88661-078-5
* Wenders, Wim (1989), _Emotion pictures: reflections on cinema_,
Faber and Faber , ISBN 978-0-571-15271-1
* Shepard, Sam ; Wenders, Wim (1991), _Paris, Texas: Screenplay_,
Ecco Press , ISBN 978-0-88001-266-9
* Wenders, Wim; Hofmann, Michael (1992), _The logic of images:
essays and conversations_, London:
Faber and Faber , ISBN
* Wenders, Wim; Handke, Peter (1998), _Der Himmel über Berlin: Ein
* ^ _A_ _B_ "Wim Wenders: Places, Strange And Quiet – in pictures
Art and design". Theguardian.com. Retrieved 2015-03-17.
* ^ _A_ _B_ Art Photography. "Wim Wenders: Show, don\'t tell".
Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-03-17.
* ^ Lehrer, Adam. "MoMA Celebrates
_ This article's USE OF EXTERNAL LINKS MAY