A wayside horn is an audible signal used at railroad crossings. They can be used in place of, or in addition to, the locomotive's horn as the train approaches the crossing. They are often used in special railroad "quiet zones" where the locomotive's engineer is not required to sound the locomotive's horn at a crossing. This reduces the ambient noise at the crossing, which may be desirable in residential areas.

See also

External links