VILHELM LUDWIG PETER THOMSEN (25 January 1842 – 12 May 1927) was a
Danish linguist and
Turkologist . He initially began studying theology
at the Danish University in 1859, but soon switched his focus to
philology. He learned Hungarian and Finnish, and received his
doctoral degree in 1869 with a dissertation on Germanic loanwords in
Finnic. He taught Greek at the Borgerdyd school in
In 1876 he was invited to give the
Ilchester Lectures at the
University of Oxford
Thomsen made a number of important contributions to linguistics, including his work on the Germanic, Baltic, and Indo-Iranian influences on Finnic. In 1893, he deciphered the Turkic Orkhon inscriptions in advance of his rival, Wilhelm Radloff .
According to an article on "The history of Uralic linguistics" by Bo Wickman (1988:808), The Danish scholar Vilhelm Thomsen (1842–1927) was one of the greatest linguists of all times. He was active in an astoundingly great number of linguistic disciplines, and he was equally masterful in all of them.
* 1 Honours * 2 Selected publications * 3 References * 4 Sources
Thomsen was President of the Danish Academy from 1909 until his death, and was an honorary member of the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland .
A street is named after him in
* The relations between ancient Russia and Scandinavia and the origin of the Russian state. Three lectures delivered at the Taylor Institution, Oxford, in May, 1876, in accordance with the terms of Lord Ilchester's bequest to the University * 1896: Inscriptions De L'Orkhon Déchiffrées * Ueber den Einfluss der germanischen Sprachen auf die finnisch-lappischen. Eine sprachgeschichtliche Untersuchung
* ^ Konow, Sten. 1927. Vilhelm Thomson. Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland, No. 4 (October 1927): 929–934. * ^ Vilhelm Thomsen, The Relations Between Ancient Russia and Scandinavia, and the Origin of the Russian State (B. Franklin, 1877) * ^ Konow 1927 * ^ Konow 1927
* Brøndal, Viggo. 1927. "L'œuvre de Vilhelm Thomsen." Acta philologica scandinavica 2:289–318. København. * Wickman, Bo. 1988. "The history of Uralic linguistics." In The Uralic Languages: Description, History and Foreign Influences, edited by Denis Sinor. Leiden: Brill.
* WorldCat Identities
* VIAF : 49270404
* LCCN : nr92016774
* ISNI : 0000 0001 0898 6669
* GND : 118980521
* SUDOC : 030452333
* BNF : cb12186379t (data)
* NDL : 00526748
This article on a Danish linguist is a stub . You can help by expanding it .