V2 RECORDS (or V2 MUSIC) is a record label that was purchased by Universal Music Group in 2007.
* 1 History * 2 Current "> It was distributed in the US by BMG ; however it left for WEA shortly after the formation of Sony BMG . Its headquarters were located at 14 East 4th Street in Manhattan , the former US home of Island Records , which was in the same building as the former Greenwich Village branch of Tower Records .
In April 2005, COOPERATIVE MUSIC was set up by the V2 MUSIC GROUP as a transnational marketing and distribution operation which licenses independent labels, as opposed to individual artist companies which is the standard industry practice, for release in Europe, Australia and Japan. This in-house licensing division has an exclusive international marketing team with representation in the UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Holland, Belgium, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Australia and Japan.
In 2006 Branson sold V2 NORTH AMERICA to SHERIDAN SQUARE ENTERTAINMENT LLC (SSE) for $15 million. SSE then merged its label ARTEMIS RECORDS into V2 North America. The new label was effectively divested from the Virgin Group .
In May 2006, much of V2's catalogue, including multi-platinum artists Moby and The White Stripes , was added to eMusic , making the label one of the most high-profile featured on the online music site, which mostly sells DRM -free independent music at a cost considerably lower than many of its competitors.
On 12 January 2007, V2 North America announced that it was undergoing restructuring to focus on its back catalogue and digital distribution. As a result, their employees were let go and their roster of artists left as free agents.
V2 BENELUX was founded by Richard Branson in 1997 as part of the V2 International group with affiliates in USA, UK, Scandinavia, Germany, France, Italy and Benelux. In February 2007 the directors of V2 Benelux, Chris Boog and Tom Willinck, rounded off a successful management buy out together with their distributor, BERTUS DISTRIBUTION.
In August 2007, V2 Music Group was sold for £7 million to Universal Music Group . Subsequently, in October 2007, UMG partnered the US operations of its independent distribution arm Fontana Distribution , known as Fontana International, with London-based Cooperative Music of V2 Music. The intent was to enhance expansion through international agreements, and so independent labels from Europe under Cooperative Music would gain access to the independent American marketplace through Fontana International 's diverse connections in independent marketing, promotion and distribution support. Cooperative Music has had significant success with various acts such as Fleet Foxes , Phoenix and The Black Keys .
* 12 Girls Band * 12 Rods * Acoustic Ladyland * The Adored * Alkaline Trio * A.M. Sixty * Amusement Parks on Fire * Antique * At the Drive-In * Brendan Benson * Best Fwends * Better Than Ezra * Birthmark * The Black Crowes * The Black Keys * Blaudzun * Bloc Party * The Blood Brothers * Blood Meridian * Blood Red Shoes * Ane Brun * Carla Bruni * CSS * Burning Brides * Isobel Campbell * Cold War Kids * Cornershop * The Cribs * The Crocketts * The Crystal Method * Ray Davies * The Datsuns * N\'Dea Davenport * dEUS * Dogs Die In Hot Cars * Dope * Doug E. Fresh * Duke Special * Jesse James Dupree
* Elbow * Every Move a Picture * Mary Fahl * Fixkes * Grandaddy * Gosling * Gravediggaz * The Greenhornes * Paul Hardcastle * Maximilian Hecker * The High Llamas * Hundred Reasons * Michael Hutchence * iamamiwhoami * The Icarus Line * InMe * Intwine * Jaimeson * Jape * The Jesus and Mary Chain * John Coffey * Tom Jones * Jungle Brothers * Kings of Infinite Space * Ed Kowalczyk * Mark Lanegan * Langhorne Slim * Lethal Bizzle * Liberty X * Lori Lieberman * Little Man Tate * Kirsty MacColl * Madasun * Madness * Aimee Mann * Mark Foggo\'s Skasters * Tom McRae * The Meligrove Band * Mercury Rev * Moby * The Mooney Suzuki
* Jean-Louis Murat * Nada Surf * New Kingdom * One Minute Silence * Declan O\'Rourke * Over It * P.M. Dawn * Phoenix * Polar Bear * Ian Pooley * pre)Thing * The Raconteurs * The Rakes * Raghav * Ra Ra Riot * Regular Fries * rinôçérôse * Josh Ritter * Roman Candle * Katy Rose * The RZA * Nitin Sawhney * Scott 4 * Semifinalists * Skin * Paul Sherry * Soulsavers * Stereophonics * Sugarcult * Alice Temple * Those Bastard Souls * Tin Star * Toots ">
* ^ "Universal Music Group: History". www.universalmusic.com. Retrieved 5 April 2011. * ^ "Kelly Jones on the history of Stereophonics". YouTube. Retrieved 2014-08-13. * ^ "V2 North America and Sheridan Square Entertainment Form New Company". PR Newswire. 23 November 2005. Retrieved 5 April 2011. * ^ "V2 Restructured, White Stripes, Moby Become Free Agents". www.billboard.com. 12 January 2007. Retrieved 5 April 2011. * ^ "V2 Benelux, a short introduction". V2 Benelux. Retrieved 5 April 2011. * ^ " Universal Music Group announces