Please remember that i am a human being, before commenting here. I have archived past talk pages at User talk:Mercurywoodrose/ArchiveX, with X=1-13
I don't know if you remember it, but it looks like you are about to win Wikipedia:Six-million pool. ☆ Bri (talk) 20:58, 3 January 2020 (UTC)
- There's still a chance he might not, if hasn't reached six million before 26 March 2020. JIP | Talk 22:30, 5 January 2020 (UTC)
- Ok, Bri suggested a brief interview for The Signpost. I don't know exactly where we'll put it, but at least part of it will make it into the next issue.
- Q1: What are you going to do with the $6,000,000 prize? (just kidding!)
- I don't know, but if i get in a catastrophic test plane accident and have my legs, one arm, and one eye destroyed, I know what I am doing with $6,000,000. Gentlepersons, they can rebuild me. They have the technology. They have the capability to build the world's first bionicn. Mercurywoodrose will be that editor. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster, with more reliable sources.
- Q2: Do you remember why you made the December 2019 prediction 6 years ago?
- I figured I knew just enough about mathematics to make a somewhat accurate back of the napkin estimate for the date, factoring in a bit of the slowdown in new article creation, and believing that this downward trend in new articles would continue. I'm sure I must have done an actual calculation, but the methods I used would probably give an actual statistician apoplexy. It was a miseducated guess.
- Q3: What's the biggest change you've seen in you've seen in that time (other than a couple of million articles)
- A team of editors with way too much time on their hands created an automation system for creating new Portals. What's a Portal, you ask? exactly... On a side note, the biggest change that did NOT occur is that the Deletionists and the Inclusionists are still engaged in a Manichean struggle, with neither side winning. The proof of this is that the number of articles has not gone to zero, decreased by a factor of Thanos, or expanded to infinity and beyond.
- Q4: How many articles have you created?
- 310. using created by me, and adding up the total articles by HAND. Computers! Ha! Who needs them! I did get into the top 400 editors by edit count, which of course is a meaningless measure, but it was fun while it lasted.
- Q5: What's your prediction for the 8,000,000th article? (the 7,000,000 pool is closed)
- I cannot predict that, its beyond my processing capacity as a quasi-quantum computer, but I know what i would LIKE it to be. An article about ME, of course. Hopefully for something worthwhile, not notorious. Firstn to be shot into the Sun for being too sarcastic? Well, that's sort of both...
- Q6: Is all the effort going into creating all these articles worth it? Shouldn't we be concentrating on quality over quantity by now? (Sorry, if that one is too serious)
- I will answer with an entirely unrelated story: Paul Krassner, in his autobiography Confessions of a Raving, Unconfined Nut, wrote about Stewart Brand, Whole Earth Catalog confabulator, "He could be more of a minimalist than Bob Dylan. I told Brand about the time I went to hear Ram Dass speak, and in the audience a heckler shouted out his capsule critique, "Words!" I told Brand I later learned that the heckler had once ***** a goat. Brand scoffed, "Deeds!""
- Q7: What's your favorite article out of the last million created (since November 1, 2015)?
- Aside from my own articles created during this time, of which my favorite subject is Jen Bartel (she rocks), I don't know. How about new articles on things i like? My first thought, I really loved Joker. That article was created, oh, wow, on my birthday! I didn't expect that!.
- Q8: Anything else you want to add? Feel free to be serious, philosophical, sentimental, humorous, thank your mother, etc.
- I'm a little sad that new editors will be facing an ever more complete work, with fewer areas to expand without being an expert. Perhaps we should consider erasing every few decades, and recreating it from scratch, to give new editors that initial experience of joy and wonder that they can be part of this, not just an observer, by clicking that innocent little "edit" tab. But maybe there is hope, maybe that sense of wonder will persist into the future. I know I fell in love with, and while I'm no longer obsessed with editing, I may fall in love all over again.
Smallbones(smalltalk) 05:08, 10 January 2020 (UTC)
Congratulations for winning the Wikipedia:Six-million pool! JIP | Talk 19:52, 23 January 2020 (UTC)
woooooohoooooo!!!! Congrats to you!!!!!! How are you celebrating? --User101010 (talk) 20:02, 23 January 2020 (UTC)
What a shame it had to be an insane TDSer... Alex Devens (talk) 21:21, 23 January 2020 (UTC)
- extra thanks to you for reading part of my userpage. notice i have not made a single edit of a political nature that i can recall, as i am too close to that topic. oh, and FU too for that wonderful effort at shaming and humiliating me by labelling me when you dont know me. right back at ya bub!!Mercurywoodrose (talk) 02:17, 24 January 2020 (UTC)
Congrats! (And damn, I was only a few months off this time...) Robofish (talk) 21:55, 23 January 2020 (UTC)
Bravo! Good job and have a good 2020! :) TheDaJakesterTalk 22:59, 23 January 2020 (UTC)
- Thanks all. what else would i do? im going to disneyland!! no, im eating a pickle. Nathans kosher pickles are quite good. so are Bubbies.Mercurywoodrose (talk) 02:09, 24 January 2020 (UTC)
COngrats on winning the six million pool! Spirit of Eagle (talk) 06:09, 24 January 2020 (UTC)
Just a warning
Some people are expressing concerns (a concern I share) about the content of your user page, which seems to have several sections which run afoul of WP:POLEMIC and WP:BLP in particular. Perhaps you could review what you have there, and take down anything which could be viewed as unhelpful in the light of those policies. Thanks. --Jayron32 15:26, 24 January 2020 (UTC)
- will do. give me a bit of time please, but i will remove at least the obvious personal statements.i was not aware of that policy, though i probably could have discerned it.Mercurywoodrose (talk) 15:58, 24 January 2020 (UTC)
- --Jayron32 16:01, 24 January 2020 (UTC)
The Signpost: 27 January 2020
Orphaned non-free image File:Chushingura English movie poster 1962.jpg
Thanks for uploading File:Chushingura English movie poster 1962.jpg. The image description page currently specifies that the image is non-free and may only be used on under a claim of fair use. However, the image is currently not used in any articles on. If the image was previously in an article, please go to the article and see why it was removed. You may add it back if you think that that will be useful. However, please note that images for which a replacement could be created are not acceptable for use on (see our policy for non-free media).
Note that any non-free images not used in any articles will be deleted after seven days, as described in section F5 of the criteria for speedy deletion. Thank you. --B-bot (talk) 03:36, 26 February 2020 (UTC)
The Signpost: 1 March 2020
The Signpost: 29 March 2020