The UNITED NATIONALIST ALLIANCE (UNA) is a political party in the Philippines . It was created as a multi-party electoral alliance replacing the former United Opposition (UNO) coalition for the 2013 midterm elections , before it was launched as a single political party on July 1, 2015 by Jejomar Binay for his candidacy in the upcoming 2016 presidential election .
The acronym "UNA" spells out the Filipino word for "first".
* 1 History
* 1.1 Early Formation, 2013 elections (2012-2015) * 1.2 Binay\'s Presidential Bid (2015-present)
* 2 Coalition members
* 2.1 Mainstream party members _(Founding Party)_
* 2.1.1 Current * 2.1.2 Former
* 2.2 Affiliated local parties
* 3 Senatorial candidates
* 3.1 2013 election * 3.2 2016 election
* 4 Election results
* 4.1 2013 elections * 4.2 2016 elections
* 5 See also * 6 References * 7 External links
EARLY FORMATION, 2013 ELECTIONS (2012-2015)
The Pwersa ng Masang Pilipino (PMP), headed by former president Joseph Estrada , and the Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban), headed by Vice President Jejomar Binay , signed a coalition agreement on April 4, 2012 for the 2013 elections, forming the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA). The two parties were formerly partners in the United Opposition in the 2007 election , and Estrada and Binay were running mates during the 2010 presidential election . Aquilino Pimentel III , PDP-Laban president, has stated that the UNA's senatorial slate is now more than twelve members and is in the process of trimming down; he had also expressed reservations on the inclusion of Juan Miguel Zubiri , of whom he had won an election protest after the 2007 election. On March 2014, Binay resign as Chairman of PDP-Laban, as result the PMP party the only primary party of UNA banner.
BINAY\'S PRESIDENTIAL BID (2015-PRESENT)
Main article: Jejomar Binay presidential campaign, 2016
On July 1, 2015, Binay relaunches the United Nationalist Alliance as the major opposition party at the Makati Colosseum in Makati City days after he resigned from the Cabinet of President Noynoy Aquino , despite the absence of Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada which become neutral due to Sen. Grace Poe-Llamanzares possible presidential bid. Sarangani Rep. Manny Pacquiao , was touted a possible running mate, but being 37 years old at that time, he was barred by the Philippine constitution's age requirement of 40 years. Senator Bongbong Marcos was then considered to be his running mate before settling with Senator Gringo Honasan , who is also the party's vice president.
MAINSTREAM PARTY MEMBERS _(FOUNDING PARTY)_
* Bagumbayan–Volunteers for a New Philippines _(New Nation-VNP)_ (since 2012) * Pwersa ng Masang Pilipino (PMP) Joseph Estrada wing (since 2012) * Nationalist People\'s Coalition (NPC) Mark Cojuangco wing * Nacionalista Party (NP) Juan Ponce Enrile wing * Lakas-CMD (since 2013)
AFFILIATED LOCAL PARTIES
* Asenso Manileño _(Progress for Manilans)_ - Manila * Padayon Pilipino _(Filipinos Ahead)_ - Misamis Oriental and Cagayan de Oro City * Partido Magdiwang _(Magdiwang Party)_ - San Juan City * Partido Navoteño _(Party of the People of Navotas)_ - Navotas City * People\'s Champ Movement - Sarangani * Team Binay - Makati City * Team Casimiro - Las Pinas City * Timpuyog ti Baguio _( Baguio Alliance)_ - Baguio City * Timawa - Iloilo City * Padayon Pilipino _(PDP)_ - Cagayan de Oro * Ugyon Kita Capiz _(UK CAPIZ)_ - Capiz * Abyan Ilonggo - Iloilo * Bukidnon Paglaum Party _(BPP)_ - Bukidnon * Alliance of Parties for Progress - Zamboanga del Norte * Biskeg - Pangasinan * Bagong Lakas ng Nueva Ecija _(BALANE)_ - Nueva Ecija * Lilia Pineda Kambilan - Pampanga * Partido Magdalo - Cavite * Team Crisologo (formerly Team Un1ty ) - Quezon City (District 1) * Dr. Lito Roxas Team Dr. Roxas - Pasay City
Despite the similarity in names, the local party United Negros Alliance from Negros Occidental is not related nor affiliated to the party.
On May 3, 2012, Zubiri took an oath to become a member of the PMP; Estrada and Binay were optimistic that Pimentel and Zubiri will be able to reconcile their differences prior to the start of the campaign.
On May 10, 2012, UNA announced its first five senatorial candidates: re-electionist Sens. Aquilino Pimentel III and Gregorio Honasan , Representatives Jack Enrile and JV Ejercito , and 2010 senatorial candidate Joey de Venecia .
On June 11, 2012, UNA formally included Zubiri in its line-up, together with Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia and Zambales Representative Mitos Magsaysay . On 28 June 2012, Pimentel officially declined his spot in the UNA line-up, citing Zubiri's continued inclusion in it.
The UNA announced on August that former senators Dick Gordon and Ernesto Maceda were a part of their ticket, and that Senator Loren Legarda would be one of the last three candidates yet to be named in their ticket. UNA spokesperson JV Bautista also said that Pimentel has taken a leave of absence as PDP-Laban's presidency, and that PDP-Laban will not be in Pimentel's certificate of nomination as the latter is running under the Liberal Party. However, Pimentel denied that he took a leave of absence from the PDP-Laban presidency.
On the first day of filing of certificates of candidacies, senatorial nominees of UNA filed theirs at the Commission on Elections national offices at Intramuros . Joey de Venecia withdrew from the election as he cited his business endeavors as reasons for his withdrawal; speculation was rife when Lorenzo Tañada III was one of the persons considered to fill in de Venecia's slot in the ticket, but Binay disclosed that Tañada was not in their choices "any more." On October 4, UNA announced that Binay's daughter Nancy was their 12th nominee.
CANDIDATE PARTY LAST POSITION IN GOVERNMENT RELATIVES IN GOVERNMENT ELECTED
NANCY BINAY UNA No relevant political background Vice President Jejomar Binay (father), Makati mayor Elenita Binay (mother), Makati mayor Jun-Jun Binay (brother), congresswoman from Makati Abigail Binay (sister)
TINGTING COJUANGCO UNA Former governor of Tarlac (1992–1998) Congressman from Tarlac Jose Cojuangco, Jr. (husband), congressman from Tarlac Eduardo Cojuangco, Jr. (cousin), President Benigno Aquino III (nephew), National Youth Commission chairman Bam Aquino (nephew), former Senator Robert Jaworski (brother-in-law), former Pasig Rep. Robert Jaworski, Jr. (son-in-law)
JV EJERCITO ESTRADA UNA Incumbent congressman from San Juan 's lone district (since 2010) President Joseph Estrada (father), San Juan mayor Guia Gomez (mother), Senator Jinggoy Estrada (half-brother), Laguna Governor ER Ejercito (cousin)
DICK GORDON UNA Former senator (2004–2010) Olongapo mayor Katherine K. Gordon (wife), Olongapo councilor John Carlos de los Reyes (nephew)
GRINGO HONASAN UNA Incumbent senator (since 2007) None
ERNESTO MACEDA UNA Former senator (1971-1972; 1987–1998) Manila 4th district councilor Edward VP Maceda (son)
Main article: Philippine general election, 2016
President : JEJOMAR BINAY (Lost) Vice-President: GRINGO HONASAN (Lost) SENATE CANDIDATES :
3 out of 9 candidates won the possible 9 seats in the Senate namely: (in order of votes received)
1 out of 6 candidates won the possible 6 seats in the Senate namely: (in order of votes received)
* ^ Sy, Marvin (2012-04-04). "From UNO to UNA, Erap, Binay unite". _ Philippine Star _. Yahoo! Philippines News. Retrieved 2012-04-05. * ^ http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/513906/news/nation/una-kicks-off-party-launch-sans-erap * ^ "Binay-Marcos: Perfect combination, says UNA official". Philippine Daily Inquirer . July 30, 2015. * ^ "Honasan as Binay\'s VP: \'I have always been a good soldier\'". _Rappler_. Retrieved 2015-11-26. * ^ "Estrada, PMP no longer part of UNA, son JV clarifies". _ Philippine Daily Inquirer _. July 1, 2015. Retrieved July 2, 2015. * ^ Evangelista, Kate; Burgonio, TJ (2012-05-03). "Estrada takes a dig at Lim over Manila’s plight". _ Philippine Daily Inquirer _. Retrieved 2012-05-03. * ^ Clapano, Jose Rodel (2012-05-11). "UNA bares first 5 senatorial candidates". _The Philippine Star_. Retrieved 2012-05-15. * ^ Reyes, Fatima; Esplanada, Jerry (2012-06-11). "Zubiri, Magsaysay, Garcia named to UNA slate; Will Pimentel leave alliance?". _ Philippine Daily Inquirer _. Retrieved 2012-06-28. * ^ "It\'s final: Koko won\'t run under UNA". _ABS-CBN News_. 2012-06-28. Retrieved 2012-06-28. * ^ Macaraig, Ayee (2012-08-28). "Gordon, Maceda running under UNA". _Rappler_. Retrieved 2012-09-19. * ^ Tan, Kimberly Jane (2012-08-29). "Pimentel denies dropping PDP-Laban presidency". _GMA News Online_. Retrieved 2012-09-19. * ^ Clapano, Jose Rodel (2012-10-01). "\'Number One\' UNA bets file COCs at 1 p.m. on Oct. 1". _ Philippine Star _. Retrieved 2012-10-04. * ^ Gil C. Cabacungan; Tarra Quismundo; Cathy C. Yamsuan (2012-10-02). "De Venecia son quits UNA Senate slate at last minute". _ Philippine Daily Inquirer _. Retrieved 2012-10-04. * ^ Reyes, Fat (2012-10-04). "UNA names Nancy Binay as 12th senatorial candidate". _ Philippine Daily Inquirer _. Retrieved 2012-10-04. * ^ "UNA drops 3 senatorial bets, says campaign manager". Philippine Daily Inquirer . 21 February 2013. Retrieved 21 February 2013.