The UGANDA SECURITIES EXCHANGE (USE) is the principal stock exchange
The exchange opened to trading in January 1998. At that time, the exchange had just one listing, a bond issued by the East African Development Bank . Trading was limited to only a handful of trades per week.
As of July 2014, the USE traded 16 listed local and East African companies and had started the trading of fixed income instruments. The exchange is a member of the African Stock Exchanges Association .
The USE operates in close association with the Dar es Salaam Stock
* 1 Trading
* 2 Market listing
* 2.1 Notes on market listings
* 3 Ownership * 4 See also * 5 References * 6 External links
A published report in February 2011 claimed that USE would increase trading to five days a week in March 2011.
During the first quarter of 2010, the USE adopted the Settlement and Clearing Depository electronic trading system. According to a published report in January 2011, other electronic modalities were being considered for the exchange. In 2010, the USE was the best performing stock exchange in Sub-Saharan Africa , with an All-Shares Index return of 74 percent between January and November 2010. On 20 July 2015, the USE initiated its electronic trading platform, backed by three independent data servers, cutting to three days (previously five days) the time it takes to settle trades.
_As of September 2015 _
NUMBER SYMBOL COMPANY NOTES
1. BOBU Bank of Baroda (Uganda) Finance, banking
2. BATU British American Tobacco Tobacco products
5. JHL Jubilee Holdings Insurance
7. KCB KCB Group Finance, banking
8. NVL New Vision Group Printing, publishing, broadcasting, television
11. EBL Equity Group Holdings Limited Banking, finance
12. NIC National Insurance Corporation Insurance
13. UCHM Uchumi Supermarkets Supermarkets
14. NMG Nation Media Group Publishing, printing, broadcasting, television
15. CENT Centum Investments Investments, private equity , real estate
NOTES ON MARKET LISTINGS
East African Breweries Limited,
The exchange is owned by 16 stock brokers. In August 2016, a law was passed to allow the owners to sell shares in the stock exchange to members of the public through an initial public offering .
* ^ Muhumuza, Mark Keith (20 February 2015). "USE gets new chief
Daily Monitor _. Kampala. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
* ^ Geoffrey Onegi-Obel (19 August 2016). "Bank of
* ^ Monteiro, Ana (3 January 2011). "Ugandan Bourse Plans to Expand
Daily Monitor Says".
Bloomberg News Quoting Daily
Monitor . Retrieved 25 July 2015.
* ^ Oketch, Martin Luther (4 January 2011). "USE leads Sub-Saharan
Africa in All Shares Index 2010". _
Daily Monitor _. Kampala. Retrieved
25 July 2015.
* ^ Busuulwa, Bernard (23 July 2015). "
Kampala bourse trading
platform goes live". _
The EastAfrican _. Nairobi. Retrieved 23 July
* ^ Oketch, Martin Luther (2 September 2015). "Automated system
raises USE turnover by Shs17b". _
Daily Monitor _. Kampala. Retrieved 2
* ^ Mugabe, David (7 November 2012). "Corporate deals to stir dull
New Vision . Retrieved 6 July 2014.
* ^ Kulabako, Faridah (29 August 2013). "Uchumi To Cross-List At