Timeline of communication technology
Pre 20st Century Media Impact
- 30,000 BC – In ice-age Europe, people mark ivory, bone, and stone with patterns to keep track of time, using a lunar calendar.
- 14,000 BC – In what is now Mezhirich, Ukraine, the first known artifact with a map on it is made using bone.
- Prior to 3500BC – Communication was carried out through paintings of indigenous tribes.
- 3500s BC – The Sumerians develop cuneiform writing and the Egyptians develop hieroglyphic writing.
- 16th century BC – The Phoenicians develop an alphabet.
- AD 26–37 – Roman Emperor Tiberius rules the empire from the island of Capri by signaling messages with metal mirrors to reflect the sun.
- 105 – Tsai Lun invents paper.
- 7th century – Hindu-Malayan empires write legal documents on copper plate scrolls, and write other documents on more perishable media.
- 751 – Paper is introduced to the Muslim world after the Battle of Talas.
- 1250 – The quill is used for writing.
- 1305 – The Chinese develop wooden block movable type printing.
- 1450 – Johannes Gutenberg finishes a printing press with metal movable type.
- 1520 – Ships on Ferdinand Magellan's voyage signal to each other by firing cannon and raising flags.
- 1792 – Claude Chappe establishes the first long-distance semaphore telegraph line.
- 1831 – Joseph Henry proposes and builds an electric telegraph.
- 1836 – Samuel Morse develops the Morse code.
- 1843 – Samuel Morse builds the first long distance electric telegraph line.
- 1844 – Charles Fenerty produces paper from a wood pulp, eliminating rag paper which was in limited supply.
- 1849 – Associated Press organizes Nova Scotia pony express to carry latest European news for New York newspapers.
- 1876 – Alexander Graham Bell and Thomas A. Watson exhibit an electric telephone in Boston.
- 1877 – Thomas Edison patents the phonograph.
- 1889 – Almon Strowger patents the direct dial telephone.
- 2001 – First digital cinema transmission by satellite in Europe of a feature film by Bernard Pauchon and Philippe Binant.
- 2003 – Myspace is launched.
- 2003 – Skype video calling software is launched.
- 2004 – What would become the largest social networking site in the world, Facebook is launched.
- 2005 – YouTube, the video sharing site, is launched.
- 2006 – Twitter,
- 2007 -iPhone is launched.