THE SAVAGE GARDEN is the second novel written by British author Mark
Mills . Set in 1958, the story tells of Cambridge student Adam
Strickland and his trip to
Tuscany , Italy; which started off as a
chance to study the old, Italian renaissance architecture of a garden
owned by the aristocratic Docci family and results in Adam solving two
murders: one from the 16th century and one just after World War II.
His discoveries shake the entire lineage of the Docci clan including
his love interest Antonella's life.
* ADAM STRICKLAND – the story's protagonist , an English student
studying at The
University of Cambridge who goes to
Tuscany to study
the Docci family's Villa.
* SIGNORA FRANCESCA DOCCCI
* MARIA DOCCI
* MAURIZIO DOCCI
* HARRY STRICKLAND – Harry is Adam's older, fun-loving brother.
Harry is a sculptor who often gets into little problems and
disagreements with people; resulting in Adam having to help him out of
them on some occasions.
* SIGNORA FANELLI – owner of The Pensione Amorini, the
bar/restaurant above which Adam stayed. She is in a relationship with
* PROFESSOR CRISPIN LEONARD – one of Adam's lecturers and
(unbeknown to him) father of Emilio Docci.
* MARIA – the housekeeper to the Docci Villa and a confidant to
Signora Docci. Maria became a key player in keeping Signora Docci's
plan from both Maurizio and Adam.
* EMILIO DOCCI – Signora Docci's son and secretly fathered by
Professor Leonard. He was killed by his half brother Maurizio.
* CHIARA DOCCI – Maurizio's academic wife.
* ANTONELLA - She is the granddaughter of Signora Docci and daughter
of Caterina. She is a fashion designer and has played a mysterious
character on a little flirtatious note with Adam. Later on, the love
affair between Adam and her becomes strong, and they eventually end up
together on a happy note. Mark Mills did a great job to raise
suspicions around her character in a subtle way which somehow makes
the protagonist, and the reader as well, believe that she deceived
* Novels portal
Mark Mills (writer)