Since its formation on 1 October 1949 the People's Republic of China's territorial claims have frequently been revised.
Until 1986, the total territory (or under control) of P.R.China was 10.45 million km2, includinga[›]:
During the 1990s and 2000s, the official size and value of China's territory is rarely officially declared or published, partly because of the frequent and ongoing changes in their territorial claims.
The Republic of China government (on Taiwan) does not recognize the PRC's territorial changes in accordance with the 1947 constitution (although amended in 1991 to include the ROC's free area).
- 1 October 1949. The establishment of the People's Republic of China was officially announced by Mao Zedong (ruled from 1949 until 1976) on the Tiananmen in Beijing. On 13 October 1949 annexation of Xinjiang into the People's Republic of China.
- 1 May 1950, the Island of Hainan was fully under control of PLA. The island Hainan was annexed from the Republic of China at the cost of many thousands Chinese lives.
- 19 May 1950, the largest archipelago of China - Zhoushan, was fully under control of PLA.
- 23 May 1951, area of Tibet Autonomous Region was claimed as an annex to the People's Republic of China.
- 3 September 1954, The People's Republic of China annexed the Yijiangshan Islands and Dachen Islands from the Republic of China during the First Taiwan Strait Crisis (Battle of Yijiangshan) even as the U.S. Seventh Fleet was patrolling nearby.
- 21 November 1962, China won the military victory of Sino-Indian War but withdrew to the pre-war boundaries. Since then , India maintains control of North-East Frontier Agency area ie Arunachal Pradesh; China controls areas of Aksai Chin (~30,000 /33,444/37,555 km2) and Trans-Karakoram Tract (5,181/5,180 km2). See article: Sino-Indian War.
- 1969, after Sino-Soviet border conflict, Soviet Union controlled Zhenbao Island (see article: Sino-Soviet border conflict). (Extra mark: Control of Zhenbao Island later was granted to China in the 2000s, see article: 1991 Sino-Russian border agreement).
- 14 October 2004 – 2 June 2005, a treaty establishing the eastern border between P.R.China and Russia was signed by P.R.China and Russia. It's said China "regained 337 km2" territory. See Russian article: Демаркация российско-китайской границы (2005); Chinese article: 中华人民共和国和俄罗斯联邦关于中俄国界东段的补充协定.
- September 2008 – 2009, the border between China and Tajikistan was surveyed. It's said that China "regained more than 1,000 km2".
- 31 December 2008, the borderline between P.R.China and Vietnam was determined, but detailed information hasn't yet been published.
- 2009, the artificial land (mainland China only) built by the nation would be 150 km2.
- 12 January: The Tajikistan parliament ratifies a deal ceding approximately 1000 square kilometres to China.
^ a: "... 1045万平方公里，其中陆地940万平方公里，岛屿75400平方公里，滩涂12700平方公里，内海693000平方公里，领海22万平方公里" -- 《中国领土面积》(The territory of China); 1986年4月20日《信息日报》 (20 December 1986; Daily Information)
Daily Information is a Chinese newspaper founded on 1 October 1984, reporting economic and communications news. See the introduction to the newspaper (in Chinese): 《信息日报》