SMARTER PLANET is a corporate initiative of the information
Examples of smarter systems include smart grids , water management systems, solutions to traffic congestion problems, greener buildings, and many others. These systems have historically been difficult to manage because of their size and complexity. But with new ways of monitoring, connecting, and analyzing the systems, business, civic and nongovernmental leaders are developing new ways to manage these systems. IBM's strategy is to provide or enable many of these technology and process management capabilities and, outside the realm of technology, to advocate for policy decisions that, according to the views expressed by IBM's management in interviews, speeches, op-ed articles and opinion advertising, and other public venues, could "make the planet smarter."
* 1 Origins * 2 Advertising campaign * 3 Smarter cities * 4 See also * 5 References * 6 External links
In November 2008, IBM’s Chairman, CEO and President
Sam Palmisano ,
during a speech at the
Council on Foreign Relations
In January 2010 Sam Palmisano gave a follow-up speech to the Chatham House called the "Decade of Smart". He highlighted dozens of initiatives in which leaders created smarter systems to solve the planet's most pressing problems. The speech aimed to inspire others to follow the leads of these innovators by helping to create a smarter planet.
On March 1, 2011,
In 2008 and 2009,
A display at
IBM, under its
To date, Smarter Cities serves thousands of cities around the world
in all areas of management including public safety, health and human
services, education, infrastructure, energy, water, and
Examples of major cities around the world using
1) Year 2010, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil implemented an emergency
response solution using
2) Year 2010,Peterborough, UK, Visualising the city systems using data to accelerate collaboration and better decision making
3) Year 2013, New Taipei City Police, implemented an
4) Year 2013, Tucson, Arizona, implemented a water conservation
5) Year 2013, Digital Delta transforms Dutch water management system using Big Data.
* CeNSE (similar project by HP)
* ^ http://www.ibm.com/smarterplanet/now
* ^ Lohr, Steve (2010-01-12). "Big Blue\'s Smarter Marketing
Playbook". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-08-08.
* ^ Terdiman, Daniel (2010-08-02). "At