The SEA OF CRETE (Greek : Κρητικό Πέλαγος, Kritiko Pelagos) is a sea, part of the Aegean Sea , located in its Southern extremity. The sea stretches to the North of the island of Crete , East of the islands of Kythera and Antikythera , South of the Cyclades , and West of the Dodecanese islands of Rhodes , Karpathos and Kassos . The bounding sea to the West is the Ionian Sea . To the Northwest is the Myrtoan Sea - between Peloponnese and the Cyclades , also part of the Aegean Sea. To the East-SE is the rest of the Mediterranean Sea , sometimes credited as the Levantine Sea . Across the island of Crete , to the opposite shore of it begins the Libyan Sea . Ferry routes to and from Piraeus and Heraklion , as well as the Southern islands of the Aegean and the Dodecanese, run in this area. Just off the coastline of Northeastern Crete the sea reaches a maximum depth of near 3,294 m (10,000 ft.) Other sources (maps) show a maximum depth of 2,591 m.(8,500 ft.)
PORT TOWNS AND CITIES
* Kastelli-Kissamos , southwest * Chania , southwest * Souda , south-southwest * Rethymno , south * Heraklio , south * Agios Nikolaos , southeast * Sitia , southeast * Kassos (Fry), southeast * Anafi , northeast * Thira , north
* Peter Saundry, C.Michael Hogan & Steve Baum. 2011. Sea of Crete. Encyclopedia of Earth. Eds.M.Pidwirny ;background:none transparent;border:none;-moz-box-shadow:none;-webkit-box-shadow:none;box-shadow:none;">v
* t * e
Earth 's oceans and seas
* Amundsen Gulf * Barents Sea * Beaufort Sea * Chukchi Sea * East Siberian Sea * Greenland Sea * Gulf of Boothia * Kara Sea * Laptev Sea * Lincoln Sea * Prince Gustav Adolf Sea * Pechora Sea * Queen Victoria Sea * Wandel Sea * White Sea
* Adriatic Sea * Aegean Sea * Alboran Sea * Archipelago Sea * Argentine Sea * Baffin Bay * Balearic Sea * Baltic Sea * Bay of Biscay * Bay of Bothnia * Bay of Campeche * Bay of Fundy * Black Sea * Bothnian Sea * Caribbean Sea * Celtic Sea * English Channel * Foxe Basin * Greenland Sea * Gulf of Bothnia * Gulf of Finland * Gulf of Lion * Gulf of Guinea * Gulf of Maine * Gulf of Mexico * Gulf of Saint Lawrence * Gulf of Sidra * Gulf of Venezuela * Hudson Bay * Ionian Sea * Irish Sea * Irminger Sea * James Bay * Labrador Sea * Levantine Sea * Libyan Sea * Ligurian Sea * Marmara Sea * Mediterranean Sea * Myrtoan Sea * North Sea * Norwegian Sea * Sargasso Sea * Sea of Åland * Sea of Azov * Sea of Crete * Sea of the Hebrides * Thracian Sea * Tyrrhenian Sea * Wadden Sea
* Andaman Sea * Arabian Sea * Bali Sea * Bay of Bengal * Flores Sea * Great Australian Bight * Gulf of Aden * Gulf of Aqaba * Gulf of Khambhat * Gulf of Kutch * Gulf of Oman * Gulf of Suez * Java Sea * Laccadive Sea * Mozambique Channel * Persian Gulf * Red Sea * Timor Sea
* Arafura Sea * Banda Sea * Bering Sea * Bismarck Sea * Bohai Sea * Bohol Sea * Camotes Sea * Celebes Sea * Ceram Sea * Chilean Sea * Coral Sea * East China Sea * Gulf of Alaska * Gulf of Anadyr * Gulf of California * Gulf of Carpentaria * Gulf of Fonseca * Gulf of Panama * Gulf of Thailand * Gulf of Tonkin * Halmahera Sea * Koro Sea * Mar de Grau * Molucca Sea * Moro Gulf * Philippine Sea * Salish Sea * Savu Sea * Sea of Japan * Sea of Okhotsk * Seto Inland Sea * Shantar Sea * Sibuyan Sea * Solomon Sea * South China Sea * Sulu Sea * Tasman Sea * Visayan Sea * Yellow Sea
* Amundsen Sea * Bellingshausen Sea * Cooperation Sea * Cosmonauts Sea * Davis Sea * D\'Urville Sea * King Haakon VII Sea * Lazarev Sea * Mawson Sea * Riiser-Larsen Sea * Ross Sea * Scotia Sea * Somov Sea * Weddell Sea
* BOOK * CATEGORY
Coordinates : 36°N 25°E / 36°N 25°E / 36; 25
This article about a specific oceanic location or ocean current is a stub . You can help by expanding it .
* v * t * e
This Greece location article is a stub . You can help by expanding it .