Rumaki or rumake is an hors d'oeuvre of tiki culture origin. It was popularly served at Trader Vic's and other Polynesian restaurants in the 1950s and 1960s. Its ingredients and method of preparation vary, but usually it consists of water chestnuts and pieces of chicken liver wrapped in bacon and marinated in soy sauce and either ginger or brown sugar.
One of the earliest references to it is on the 1941 menu of the Don the Beachcomber restaurant (Palm Springs).
- Revenge of the Nerds: When the nerds are planning their date party, Lamar says, "We'll put the bar over here, and the hors d'oeuvres over there, and we'll pass the rumaki and the cheese puffs."
- The Bob Newhart Show, S02E07 "Old Man Rivers": Emily says, "You know Bob hates liver, bacon, and water chestnuts, but when I call it rumaki he thinks it's delicious."
- Murder She Wrote, S06E11 "Town Father": Winifred says, "these romaki are supposed to be cooked. It's raw bacon here dear. "
- Maude, S04E08 "The Fling": Maude, hosting a dinner party, announces to the guests that the rumaki is ready. A guest asks, "What's in rumaki?" to which Maude replies, "Oh, you'll love it. Little hunks of liver with chestnuts and stuff."
- The Simpsons, S10E11 ""Wild Barts Can't Be Broken": Moe, sighs "Ah, no one touched my rumaki." Homer throws it at him and cries "WOOOO, RUMAKI!!!"
- Mad Men, S02E08 "A Night to Remember": Betty Draper serves rumaki as part of her "trip around the world" dinner party. S07E05 "The Runways" Betty Draper once again serves the appetizer at a dinner party.
- Archer, S07E04 "Motherless Child": Archer belches in a taxi at the beginning of the episode after leaving a tiki bar, stating "Oh, oh my god, Rumaki."
- Two and a Half Men, S02E07: Bertha Sister's makes Rumaki for Evelyn Party.
- Cheers, S04E02 "Woody Goes Belly Up": Frasier says, "Great rumaki, Sam" right before Woody's sweetheart arrives in the bar. S06E04: Norm says, "Ooo, rumaki!" during the wedding reception.
- The Odd Couple (TV), S01E01 "The Laundry Orgy": Felix is seen cooking rumaki in a frying pan. Felix says, "How many want shredded coconut on their rumaki?" Speed replies, "I came to play poker, he's having a Luau." Rumaki is seen on a platter. Felix says (to Pigeon sisters), "Help yourselves to the rumaki." Cecily (to sister), "What's rumaki?", Gwendolyn admits, "I don't know." Felix, holding the platter, asks (to Oscar), "Want some rumaki?" Oscar says back, "Shut up." Felix eats.
- Pretty Little Liars, S07E20 'Till Death Do Us Part': Emily mentions 'rumaki spheres' when talking to two of her students at Aria and Ezra's wedding rehearsal dinner.
- Golden Girls, S02 E23, 'Son-In-Law Dearest': Blanche and Rose have rumaki as snacks to accompany an 'I Love Lucy' marathon. Upon entering scene, both Dorothy and Stanley, exclaim, "Oh, is that rumaki?".
- Mad Men, S02 E08, "A Night to Remember" : Betty describes dinner ".......followed by Japan, Rumaki".