A ROYAL COMMISSION is a major ad-hoc formal public inquiry into a
defined issue in some monarchies . They have been held in the United
Royal Commissions are called to look into matters of great importance
and usually controversy. These can be matters such as government
structure, the treatment of minorities, events of considerable public
concern or economic questions. Many Royal Commissions last many years
and, often, a different government is left to respond to the findings.
In Australia—and particularly
New South Wales
Royal Commissions are usually chaired by one or more notable figures. Because of their quasi-judicial powers the Commissioners are often retired or serving judges. They usually involve research into an issue, consultations with experts both within and outside of government and public consultations as well. The Warrant may grant immense investigatory powers, including summoning witnesses under oath , offering of indemnities, seizing of documents and other evidence (sometimes including those normally protected, such as classified information ), holding hearings in camera if necessary and—in a few cases—compelling all government officials to aid in the execution of the Commission. The results of Royal Commissions are published in reports, often massive, of findings containing policy recommendations. (Due to the verbose nature of the titles of these formal documents – for example, the Royal commission into whether there has been corrupt or criminal conduct by any Western Australian Police Officer – they are commonly known by the name of the commission\'s chair .) While these reports are often quite influential, with the government enacting some or all recommendations into law, the work of some Commissions have been almost completely ignored by the government. In other cases, where the Commissioner has departed from the Warranted terms, the commission has been dissolved by a superior court.
* 1 Notable royal commissions
* 1.1.1 Commonwealth of
* 2 See also * 3 References
NOTABLE ROYAL COMMISSIONS
Commonwealth Of Australia
Main article: List of Australian Royal Commissions
* Royal Commission in the matter of an inquiry into a statement that there was a document missing from the official files in relation to " The Brisbane Line " (1943) * Royal Commission on loss of HMAS Voyager (1964), investigated the collision between HMAS Melbourne and HMAS Voyager * Royal Commission on the statement of Lieutenant Commander Cabban and matters incidental thereto (1967–1968), investigated claims that the captain of HMAS Voyager frequently drank to excess and was unfit for command * Royal Commission on Intelligence and Security ("Hope Commission") investigated the country's intelligence agencies (1974−1977) * Royal Commission on the activities of the Federated Ship Painters and Dockers Union ("Costigan Royal Commission") (1980–1984), investigated organised crime influences and drug trafficking in a large trade union * Royal Commission of Inquiry into Drug Trafficking ("Stewart Royal Commission") (1981–1983) * Royal Commission into British nuclear tests in Australia (1984–1985) * Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody (1987–1991), investigated the allegedly disproportionate number of deaths of Australian Aboriginals while in custody * Royal Commission into HIH Insurance (2001–2003), investigated the collapse of HIH Insurance , then Australia's second largest insurance company * Royal Commission into the Building and Construction Industry ("Cole Royal Commission"), (2001–2003), investigated the conduct of industrial relations within the building industry * Inquiry into certain Australian companies in relation to the UN Oil-For-Food Programme ("Cole Inquiry"), (2005–2006), investigation into the alleged participation of the AWB into the Oil for Food program * Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse (2013)
New South Wales
See also: List of
New South Wales
Royal Commission into the
New South Wales
See also: List of Queensland Royal Commissions
* Commission of Inquiry into Possible Illegal Activities and Associated Police Misconduct ("Fitzgerald Inquiry"), (1987–1989) into Queensland Police corruption
Grantham Flood Commission of Inquiry. Barrett Adolescent Centre Commission of Inquiry.
* Commission appointed by the Governor-in-Chief to inquire into the
loss of the "Admella " (1859)
Royal Commission in regard to Rupert
* Royal Commission into the King Street Bridge failure, (1962–1963) * Royal Commission into the West Gate Bridge collapse, (1970–1971) * Royal Commission into the Longford gas plant accident , (1998–1999) * 2009 Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission ("Black Saturday Royal Commission"), (2009–2010) investigating the events and conditions surrounding the 2009 Victorian bushfires * Royal Commission into Family Violence (2015-2016)
See also: List of Western Australian Royal Commissions
Royal Commission into alleged killing and burning of bodies of
Aborigines in East Kimberley and into police methods when effecting
arrests ("1927 Wood Royal Commission"), (1927) investigating the
Forrest River massacre of Indigenous Australians
Royal Commission into Commercial Activities of Government and
Other Matters ("
* Royal Commission into Juvenile Correction Facilities in the Northern Territory (2016). On 25 July 2016 Prime Minister Turnbull announced a Royal Commission will be established after an investigation by Four Corners uncovered serious mistreatment of inmates within the Northern Territory's juvenile detention system.
* Royal Independent Investigation Commission (June 2011), to examine the episodes of civil disobedience and alleged human rights offences committed in the aftermath of the February 2011 protests.
Main article: List of Canadian Royal Commissions
This section needs to be UPDATED. Please update this article to reflect recent events or newly available information. (January 2016)
* Commission of Inquiry on Allegations relating to the Hong Kong Institute of Education (2007) * Commission of Inquiry on the New Airport (1998–99) * Commission of Inquiry into the Garley Building Fire (1996–97)
Main article: Commission of Inquiry (India)
* Royal Commission of Inquiry into the illegal immigrant issue in Sabah (2012- ) * Royal Commission of Inquiry into the Teoh Beng Hock case (2010 - ) * Royal Commission of Inquiry into the Lingam Video Clip (2007- ) * Royal Commission for Police Reform (2004) * Royal Commission to investigate alleged injuries suffered by Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim while in police custody (1999) * Royal Commission of Inquiry into the fire at the Bright Sparklers factory in Sungai Buloh New Village (1991) * Royal Commission of Inquiry to investigate a fire at Sekolah Agama Rakyat Taufikah al-Halimah in Padang Lumat, Yan, Kedah (1989) * Royal Commission of Inquiry on the collapse of the upper deck of the Pengkalan Sultan Abdul Halim ferry terminal in Butterworth (1988) * Royal Commission on the Teaching Services (1971) * Royal Commission of Inquiry to Investigate the Workings of Local Authorities in West Malaysia (1968) * Royal Commission on Salaries and Conditions of Service of the Public Service (1965)
Royal Commission on Mines (1911)
Royal Commission of Inquiry into the Ballantyne\'s fire
Royal Commission on Accident Compensation (1966–67), which
produced the Woodhouse Report and led to the formation of the Accident
Compensation Corporation in 1974
Royal Commission on Contraception, Sterilisation and Abortion
Royal Commission into the Courts (1976–78)
Royal Commission on Nuclear Power Generation in New Zealand
Royal Commission on Maori Courts (1978–80)
Royal Commission to Inquire into and Report upon the Circumstances
of the Convictions of
Arthur Allan Thomas for the Murders of David
Harvey Crewe and Jeanette Lenore Crewe (1980–1981)
Royal Commission of Inquiry into the crash of Air New Zealand
Flight 901 (Also known as "
The Mahon Inquiry ") (1980–1981). The
findings were successfully appealed to the Privy Council , setting new
legal standards for the conduct of Royal Commissions.
Royal Commission into Certain Matters Related to Drug Trafficking
Royal Commission on the Electoral System (1984–1986)
investigated the electoral system, and led to
* Royal Commission for Jubail and Yanbu (1975) in planning, development, construction, operation and maintenance of the various infrastructure and services of Jubail and Yanbu industrial cities.
This list is incomplete ; you can help by expanding it .
Royal Commission for inquiring into the nature and extent of the
Instruction afforded by the several Institutions in Ireland
established for the purpose of Education (1824)
Royal Commission on Railway Gauges (1845)
Royal Commission on the Poorer Classes in Ireland 1833
Royal Commission of Inquiry into Children\'s Employment (1840)
Royal Commission on the British Museum (1847–49)
Royal Commission on the British Museum (1850)
Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 (1850) planned the
Royal Commission on the Defence of the
* ^ A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R "Commissions of inquiry,
1909–2011 -- Commissions of inquiry – Te Ara Encyclopedia of New
* ^ "Report of the
Royal Commission to inquire into the Crash on
Mount Erebus, Antarctica of a DC10 Aircraft operated by Air New
Zealand Limited Introduction and Prologue" (PDF). 1981. Retrieved 6
* ^ "
Royal Commission into the Pike River Mine Tragedy –
* ^ Hartevelt, John. "Pike River disaster inquiry announced".
Stuff.co.nz. APN. Retrieved 29 November 2010.
* ^ "
Royal Commission of Inquiry into Building Failure Caused by
the Canterbury Earthquakes –
Royal Commission of Inquiry into
Building Failure Caused by the Canterbury Earthquakes".
* ^ A copy of the Report of the Commission is available at:
* ^ "The 1870 Education Act". UK Parliament. Retrieved 2017-02-17.