The READING FIRE DEPARTMENT provides fire protection and emergency
medical services to the city of Reading ,
Reading Fire Department was formed on March 17, 1773 as a
volunteer fire department known as the Rainbow Volunteer Fire Company.
By 1914 the department had grown to include 14 separate volunteer
companies. Today, the department operates out of 7 fire stations ,
including 1 EMS Station. The department's volunteer scuba rescue team
responds to water emergencies in the
Beginning in April 2011 Engine's 13 and 14 were disbanded due to budget cuts. Starting June 30, 2015 the city will also be disbanding its non-emergency transport division which had been available to assist in transporting those confined to a wheeled chair .
As of January 1, 2016, the department is now a fully career department.
STATIONS AND APPARATUS
As of June 2015 below is a complete list of the stations and apparatus.
ENGINE COMPANY LADDER COMPANY SPECIAL UNIT RESERVE UNIT CHIEF NEIGHBORHOOD
Engine 3 Ladder 1
Engine 8 Deputy Chief Central West
Engine 4, Ladder 2
Engine 9 Ladder 3
Tower 1 Rescue 1 Engine 2, Rescue 2 Platoon Chief South Central
Medic 1, Medic 2, Medic 3, Medic 4 Medic 5, Medic 8
* ^ "Call Statistics". Reading PA Fire. Retrieved 8 June 2015.
* ^ "2015 City Budget Position Listing". City of Reading PA.
Retrieved 9 June 2015.
* ^ "2015 City Budget Expenditures". City of Reading PA. Retrieved
9 June 2015.
* ^ A B "Stations & Apparatus". Reading PA Fire. Retrieved 9 June
* ^ "About Us". Reading PA Fire. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
* ^ "Population Estimates".
* v * t * e
* Allentown * Altoona * Bethlehem * Butler * Chester * DuBois * Easton * Erie * Greensburg * Harrisburg * Hazleton * Johnstown * Lancaster * Lebanon * McKeesport * New Castle * Philadelphia * Pittsburgh * Pottsville * Reading * Scranton * Sunbury * Wilkes-Barre * Williamsport * York
Townships , Boroughs border-left-width:2px;border-left-style:solid;width:100%;padding:0px">
* Croydon * Kimberton * Millcreek (West Lake) * Shanksville * Springfield (Flourtown)
USAR TASK FORCES
* CATEGORY *