RAFAEL VIñOLY BECEIRO (born 1944) is an Uruguayan architect . He is
the principal of
* 1 Life and career * 2 Honors and awards * 3 Buildings
* 4 Criticism
* 4.1 Carbuncle Cup * 4.2 Sun Glare
* 5 References * 6 External links
LIFE AND CAREER
Viñoly was born in
In 1964, he formed the "Estudio de Arquitectura Manteola-Petchersky-Sánchez Gómez-Santos-Solsona-Viñoly" architectural firm with six associates. This practice would eventually become one of the largest architectural practices in South America, completing many significant commissions in a very short time.
In 1978, Viñoly and his family relocated to the United States. For a
brief period he served as a guest lecturer at the Harvard Graduate
School of Design , settling permanently in
New York City
During the course of his forty-plus year career, Viñoly has practiced in the United States, Latin America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East.
Viñoly is a Fellow of the
American Institute of Architects
HONORS AND AWARDS
* Design Honor, Salvadori Center, 2007 * International Fellow, The Royal Institute of British Architects, 2006 * National Design Award Finalist, Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, 2004 * Neutra Medal for Professional Excellence : In recognition for his contributions to the Environmental Design Profession and in honor of Modernist architect Richard Neutra , 2000. * Honorary Doctorate, University of Maryland, 1997 * Medal of Honor, American Institute of Architects, New York City Chapter, 1995 * National Academician, The National Academy, 1994 * Fellow, American Institute of Architects, 1993
Main article: List of works by Rafael Viñoly
Major works by Viñoly include 432 Park Avenue , 20 Fenchurch Street and the Curve Theatre .
The Sky Garden, at 20 Fenchurch Street
Two of the skyscrapers designed by Viñoly, the
Vdara in Las Vegas
20 Fenchurch Street in London, have experienced unusual sun
reflectivity problems due to their concave curved glass exteriors
acting as respectively cylindrical and spherical reflectors for
sunlight. In 2010, the Las Vegas Review Journal reported that sunlight
reflected off the Vdara's south-facing tower could make swimmers in
the hotel pool uncomfortably warm, as well as melting plastic cups and
shopping bags; employees of the hotel referred to the phenomenon as
Vdara death ray". In
* ^ Gitschier, J. (2011). "The Connection between Space and
Thinking: An Interview with Rafael Viñoly" . PLoS Genetics. 7 (12):
e1002445. PMC 3248556 . PMID 22242010 . doi
* ^ "Rafael Vinoly Architects Locations". Vinoly Architects.
* ^ "Works". Retrieved May 8, 2015.
* ^ Raphael Vinoly Architects. "Life getting hot for architect
Rafael Vinoly". Retrieved May 8, 2015.
* ^ e-architect (January 8, 2015). "Rafael Vinoly
* Hilary Lewis and Roman Viñoly, THINK NEW YORK A Ground Zero Diary ISBN 1-920744-74-6 * Rafael Viñoly, The Making of Public Space: 1997 John Dinkeloo Memorial Lecture ISBN 1-891197-00-2