The MACINTOSH QUADRA 700 is a personal computer designed, manufactured and sold by Apple Computer, Inc. from October 1991 to March 1993. It was introduced alongside the Quadra 900 as the first computers in the Quadra series using Motorola 68040 processor. It is also the first computer from Apple to be housed in a mini-tower form factor, which in 1991 was becoming a popular alternative to standard desktop-on-monitor cases that were common through the 1980s.
The Quadra 700 originally had a list price of $5,700 USD, but had dropped to under $4,700 for a base model by the time its replacement, the Macintosh Quadra 800 , went on sale in early 1993. The Centris 650 , also introduced around the same time, offered incrementally more performance than the Quadra 700 in a desktop-style case at a price point closer to $3,000.
* 1 Hardware * 2 In popular culture * 3 Timeline of Macintosh Quadra and Centris models * 4 References
FORM FACTOR: The Quadra 700 case is largely the same as the popular Macintosh IIcx and Macintosh IIci models; this made it possible for users of those models to upgrade to the more powerful Quadra 700. Users sometimes placed the older case vertically in a mini-tower orientation and the Quadra 700 recognized this by having the Apple logo and model name printed in the vertical orientation. The IIcx and IIci were designed to allow their rubber feet to be moved to the side for vertical orientation as well.
CPU: Motorola 68040 @ 25 MHz. The clock oscillator runs at 50 MHz; replacing it with a faster oscillator (up to 74 MHz) results in a performance increase.
MEMORY: The Quadra 700 could be upgraded to 68 megabytes of RAM, which with its 25 MHz processor made it a very useful computer for scientific or design work.
EXPANSION: Two Nubus slots and a PDS slot; processor upgrades from Apple and other manufacturers were sold for the 700 when the PowerPC 601 accelerator cards came along in 1994.
STORAGE: 80 and 160 MB hard disks were available at launch. A faster 230 MB unit became available in mid-1993 when the Quadra 950 was introduced.
VIDEO: Like the IIci, the 700 has integrated graphics built into the system board but, unlike the earlier model, it uses dedicated VRAM for its video memory. The onboard video came with 512 kilobytes VRAM soldered to the motherboard, and supported resolutions up to 1152x870. The video memory was expandable to 2 megabytes via 6 256-kilobyte 100 nS VRAM SIMMs in each of VRAM SIMM expansion slots on the motherboard. Expanding the video memory to 2 megabytes allowed for 24-bit (Millions) color at resolutions up to 832x624.
SOUND: The sound was 8-bit stereo.
PORTS: I/O was available with dual serial ports, an AAUI ethernet
port, mic in, and a DB-25 SCSI connector. The Quadra 700, along with
the 900, are the first
IN POPULAR CULTURE
TIMELINE OF MACINTOSH QUADRA AND CENTRIS MODELS
See also: Timeline of Apple
* ^ A B Pogue, David; Schorr, Joseph (1999). MacWorld Mac Secrets,
IDG Books . ISBN 0-7645-4040-8 .
* ^ A B Webster, Bruce (December 1991). "
* v * t * e
Apple hardware before 1998
* II * II Plus * IIe * IIc * IIc Plus * IIGS
* 128K * 512K * 512Ke * Plus * SE * SE/30 * Classic * Classic II * Color Classic
* II * IIx * IIcx * IIci * IIfx * IIsi * IIvi * IIvx
* 700 * 900 * 950 * 800 * 840AV
* 600 series
* 610 * 650 * 660AV * 605 * 630
* 68k-based PowerBooks
* 100 series
* 100 * 140 * 170 * 160 * 180 * 150 * 190
* 200 series
* 210 * 230
* 500 series
* PowerPC -based PowerBooks
* 2300c * 5300 * 1400 * 3400c * 2400c
* 4400 and 7220
* 5000 series
* 5200 LC and 5300 LC * 5260 * 5400 * 5500
* 6000 series
* 6100 * 6200 and 6300 * 6400 * 6500
* 7000 series
* 7100 * 7200 and 8200 * 7300 * 7500 * 7600
* 8000 series
* 8100 * 8500 * 8600
* 9000 series
* 9500 * 9600
* Monitor III
* Monitor II
* AppleColor Composite IIe
* AppleColor High-Resolution RGB
* Keyboard * Desktop Bus * Extended Keyboard * Adjustable Keyboard * Mouse * Scanner * QuickTake
Apple hardware since 1998
* v * t * e
APPLE II FAMILY
* Apple TV
* Series 1 * Series 3
* 6S / 6S Plus * SE * 7 / 7 Plus * 8 / 8 Plus * X
* iPod Touch (6th)
* Interactive Television Box
* 1st * Series 2
* 1st * 2 * 3rd * 4th * Air * Air 2
* iPad Mini
* 1st * 2 * 3
* 1st * 3G * 3GS * 4 * 4S * 5 * 5C * 5S * 6 / 6 Plus
* iPod Classic * iPod Hi-Fi * iPod Mini * iPod Nano * iPod Shuffle
* iPod Touch
* 1st * 2nd * 3rd * 4th * 5th
* Thunderbolt * Cinema * Studio
APPLE MOBILE PROCESSORS