PIETRO GRASSO (Italian pronunciation: ; born 1 January 1945), also known as PIERO GRASSO, is an Italian anti-mafia magistrate and politician who has been President of the Italian Senate since 16 March 2013. Grasso became Acting President of Italy on 14 January 2015, upon the resignation of President Giorgio Napolitano . He served as Acting President until the swearing in of Sergio Mattarella on 3 February, as the new President.
* 1 Biography
* 1.1 Maxiprocesso * 1.2 Head of the National Anti-Mafia Directorate * 1.3 Senator of the Italian Republic * 1.4 President of the Senate of the Italian Republic * 1.5 Acting President of the Italian Republic
* 2 References
In 1984 he was appointed associate judge in the first maxiprocesso to Cosa Nostra (10 February 1986 – 10 December 1987), with 475 defendants. Pietro Grasso, next to the presiding judge Alfonso Giordano, was author of the judgment (over 8000 pages) that inflicted 19 life sentences and more than 2,600 years in prison.
Ended maxiprocesso, Grasso was appointed consultant to the Anti-Mafia Commission, at the head of Gerardo Chiaromonte first and then by Luciano Violante . In 1991 he was appointed adviser to the criminal affairs department of the Ministry of Justice, whose minister was Claudio Martelli, whom he named Giovanni Falcone , and member of the Central Commission for the repentant.
It is then replaced in his role, until he was appointed deputy
prosecutor at the National Anti-Mafia Directorate (led by Pier Luigi
Vigna ), applied in the Procure of
HEAD OF THE NATIONAL ANTI-MAFIA DIRECTORATE
On 11 October 2005 he was appointed national Anti-Mafia prosecutor,
Pier Luigi Vigna , who left office in August 2005 having
reached the retirement age, while he was still head of the prosecutor
of Palermo. His appointment was at the center of bitter controversy in
judicial and political, as it was very likely the appointment of the
Prosecutor at the Court of
On 11 April 2006 help with his work, after years of investigation,
the capture of
Bernardo Provenzano on the farm, Montagna dei cavalli
The natural expiration of the first term to the DNA was confirmed by the Supreme Judicial Council for a second term, this time without any controversy and consensus.
From September 2012 to Rai History in 12 episodes
SENATOR OF THE ITALIAN REPUBLIC
On 27 December 2012 shows the CSM request for leave of absence
election: the next day told the press that intends to stand in the
lists of the Democratic Party ahead of the Italian elections of 2013.
On 8 January 2013, the national leadership of the Democratic Party
PRESIDENT OF THE SENATE OF THE ITALIAN REPUBLIC
On 16 March 2013 at 18:50 was elected President of the Senate by 137 votes, against 117 for Renato Schifani (PdL ), the outgoing President. It was a runoff at the fourth ballot between the two most voted senators from the previous ballot, with 313 voters in total, 52 white, 7 nil. As President of the Senate, it was his responsibility to decide whether the Senate would declare itself as an injured part in an indictment against Berlusconi . The former Prime Minister was accused of bribing majority senators to have them withdraw support from the Prodi government. Grasso decided to go ahead against the advice of a Senate parliamentary committee, who voted 10 to 8 against the indictment.
ACTING PRESIDENT OF THE ITALIAN REPUBLIC
On 14 January 2015, on the resignation of Giorgio Napolitano , Grasso became the acting President of the Italian Republic . He served in that position until the swearing in of Sergio Mattarella on 3 February 2015.
* ^ "Profile of Pietro Grasso". The official website of the Senate of the Italian Republic. * ^ "Da Epifani a Mineo, gli ultimi candidati Pd Bersani: siamo noi la lepre da inseguire". Retrieved March 16, 2013. * ^ "PARLAMENTARI – Riparte il futuro". Retrieved March 16, 2013.
* ^ "Communication from the Senate". The official website of the
Senate of the Italian Republic.
* ^ "
Preceded by Pierluigi Vigna DIRECTOR OF THE NATIONAL ANTIMAFIA DIRECTORATE 2005–2012 Succeeded by Giusto Sciacchitano
Preceded by Renato Schifani PRESIDENT OF THE SENATE 2013–present INCUMBENT
ORDER OF PRECEDENCE
* v * t * e
Presidents of Italian Senate
KINGDOM OF ITALY
* Coller * Manno * Alfieri di Sostegno * Settimo * Sclopis * Casati * Fardella di Torrearsa * Ambrois * Pasolini * Tecchio * Durando * Farini * Saracco * Canonico * Manfredi * Bonasi * Tittoni * Federzoni * Suardo * Thaon di Revel * Tomasi Della Torretta
* Bonomi * De Nicola * Paratore * Gasparotto * Ruini * Merzagora * Zelioli-Lanzini * Fanfani * Spagnolli * Fanfani * Morlino * Colombo * Cossiga * Fanfani * Malagodi * Spadolini * Scognamiglio Pasini * Mancino * Pera * Marini * Schifani * Grasso
* v * t * e
Great Offices of the Italian Republic
PRESIDENT Sergio Mattarella
PRESIDENT OF THE SENATE
PRESIDENT OF THE CHAMBER OF DEPUTIES Laura Boldrini
PRIME MINISTER Paolo Gentiloni
* WorldCat Identities * VIAF : 31774431 * LCCN : no2007058960 * ISNI : 0000 0000 5115 166X * GND : 1045581828 * IATH : w6sf3vkj