"OH! YOU PRETTY THINGS" is a song written by
The song was first released by Peter Noone of Herman\'s Hermits , in a single on which Bowie played piano. It became a #12 hit in mid-1971. Noone replaced Bowie's line "The Earth is a bitch" with "The Earth is a beast", in a performance that NME editors Roy Carr and Charles Shaar Murray opined to be "one of rock and roll 's most outstanding examples of a singer failing to achieve any degree of empathy whatsoever with the mood and content of a lyric".
* 1 Personnel * 2 Live versions * 3 Other releases * 4 Cover versions * 5 References * 6 External links
* A performance of the song by Bowie and
Mick Ronson as a duo,
broadcast on the
* The song appeared on the compilations:
* The Best of
* It was also recorded on 8 February 1972 for The Old Grey Whistle Test on the BBC, though the performance was not broadcast until over 10 years later. This performance is available on the Best of Bowie DVD. An outtake from the same session, in which Bowie stumbles over the lines and gets them wrong on several occasions, is hidden among easter eggs on the same DVD.
Peter Noone – Single (1971)
Harvey Danger – Live version released on the 2006 EP Little
* ^ A B David Buckley (1999). Strange Fascination – David Bowie: The Definitive Story: p.115 * ^ A B Roy Carr & Charles Shaar Murray (1981). Bowie: An Illustrated Record: pp.40-41 * ^ David Sheppard (2007), MOJO 60 Years of Bowie: p.24 * ^ Pegg, Nicholas (27 Sep 2011). The Complete David Bowie. California: Titan Books. ISBN 9780857682901 . Retrieved 11 July 2016. * ^ Carr & Murray (1981): p.117 * ^ " Rick Wakeman reveals he played piano on David Bowie\'s "Oh! You Pretty Things" - Uncut". 17 January 2017. Retrieved 14 October 2017. * ^ "Bowie or Wakeman piano mystery". 14 October 2017. Retrieved 14 October 2017 – via www.bbc.com. * ^ "Bowie At The Beeb vinyl box out now". davidbowie.com. 2016-02-26. Retrieved 2016-02-27. * ^ Harvey, Michael (2007-01-19). "The Old Gray Whistle Test - 8 February 1972". The Ziggy Stardust Companion. Retrieved 2011-01-29.