NATIONALENCYKLOPEDIN (Swedish: ), abbreviated NE, is a comprehensive
contemporary Swedish-language encyclopedia , initiated by a favourable
loan from the
Government of Sweden
* 1 History * 2 See also * 3 References * 4 External links
The project was born in 1980, when a government committee suggested that negotiations be initiated with various publishers . This stage was finished in August 1985, when Bra Böcker in Höganäs became the publisher responsible for the project. The project specifications were for a modern reference work based on a scientific paradigm incorporating gender and environmental issues.
Pre-orders for the work were unprecedented; before the first volume was published in December 1989, 54,000 customers had ordered the encyclopedia. The last volume came out in 1996, with three supplemental volumes in 2000.
Associated with the
* NE:s Ordbok, a dictionary in three volumes (1995–1996)
* NE:s Årsband, complementary volumes concerning current events and
fast changing information distributed annually since 1997
* NE:s Sverigeatlas, an atlas of
In 1997, the first digital form of the encyclopedia was released on 6
CD-ROMs (later on
* ^ Svenska uppslagsverk: Nationalencyklopedin, accessed on July 22, 2009 (in Swedish)