A MUNICIPALITY (Estonian : omavalitsus, plural omavalitsused) is the smallest administrative subdivision of Estonia . Each municipality is a unit of self-government with its representative and executive bodies. The municipalities in Estonia cover the entire territory of the country.
Municipalities in Estonia are of two types: URBAN MUNICIPALITIES or TOWNS (linnad, singular linn) and RURAL MUNICIPALITIES or PARISHES (vallad, singular vald). There is no other status distinction between them.
Municipality may contain one or several settlements . All urban municipalities plus 6 rural municipalities contain only one settlement. Of the latter six, 5 are so-called "borough-parishes", consisting of one borough, while Ruhnu Parish consists of one village.
Some municipalities are divided into districts. The 8 urban districts (linnaosad, singular linnaosa) of Tallinn have limited self-government, while other urban districts are formed for administrative purposes. Some rural districts (osavallad) have limited self-government, while other types of rural districts do not.
Municipalities range in population from Tallinn with 427,500 inhabitants to Ruhnu with 68. As over two-thirds of the municipalities have a population of under 3,000, many of them have found it advantageous to co-operate in providing services and carrying out administrative functions.
Currently, since 12 December 2014, there are total of 213 municipalities, 30 of which are urban and 183 rural. By county, these are:
* 1 Harju County * 2 Hiiu County * 3 Ida-Viru County * 4 Järva County * 5 Jõgeva County * 6 Lääne County * 7 Lääne-Viru County * 8 Pärnu County * 9 Põlva County * 10 Rapla County * 11 Saare County * 12 Tartu County * 13 Valga County * 14 Viljandi County * 15 Võru County * 16 Structure of local authorities * 17 Former municipalities * 18 See also * 19 References * 20 External links
23 municipalities (6 urban, 17 rural) Municipalities of Harju County
* Aegviidu (borough) * Anija Parish (includes the town of Kehra ) * Harku Parish * Jõelähtme Parish * Keila Parish * Kernu Parish (will form Saue Parish in 2017) * Kiili Parish (includes the borough of Kiili ) * Kose Parish * Kuusalu Parish * Nissi Parish (will form Saue Parish in 2017) * Padise Parish * Raasiku Parish * Rae Parish * Saku Parish * Saue Parish (will form Saue Parish in 2017) * Vasalemma Parish * Viimsi Parish
4 rural municipalities Municipalities of Hiiu County
20 municipalities (5 urban, 15 rural) Municipalities of Ida-Viru County
* Alajõe Parish * Aseri Parish * Avinurme Parish * Iisaku Parish * Illuka Parish * Jõhvi Parish (includes the town of Jõhvi ) * Kohtla Parish * Kohtla-Nõmme (borough) * Lohusuu Parish * Lüganuse Parish (includes the town of Püssi ) * Mäetaguse Parish * Sonda Parish * Toila Parish * Tudulinna Parish * Vaivara Parish
12 municipalities (1 urban, 11 rural) Municipalities of Järva County
* Albu Parish * Ambla Parish * Imavere Parish * Järva-Jaani Parish (includes the borough of Järva-Jaani ) * Kareda Parish * Koeru Parish * Koigi Parish * Paide Parish * Roosna-Alliku Parish * Türi Parish (includes the town of Türi ) * Väätsa Parish
13 municipalities (3 urban, 10 rural) Municipalities of Jõgeva County
10 municipalities (1 urban, 9 rural) Municipalities of Lääne County
15 municipalities (2 urban, 13 rural) Municipalities of Lääne-Viru County
* Kunda * Rakvere
* Haljala Parish * Kadrina Parish * Laekvere Parish * Rakke Parish * Rakvere Parish * Rägavere Parish * Sõmeru Parish * Tamsalu Parish (includes the town of Tamsalu ) * Tapa Parish (includes the town of Tapa ) * Vihula Parish * Vinni Parish * Viru-Nigula Parish * Väike-Maarja Parish
19 municipalities (2 urban, 17 rural) Municipalities of Pärnu County
* Pärnu * Sindi
* Are Parish * Audru Parish (includes the borough of Lavassaare ) * Halinga Parish (includes the borough of Pärnu-Jaagupi ) * Häädemeeste Parish * Kihnu Parish * Koonga Parish * Paikuse Parish (includes the borough of Paikuse ) * Saarde Parish (includes the town of Kilingi-Nõmme ) * Sauga Parish * Surju Parish * Tahkuranna Parish * Tootsi (borough) * Tori Parish * Tõstamaa Parish * Varbla Parish * Vändra Parish * Vändra (borough)
13 rural municipalities Municipalities of Põlva County
* Ahja Parish * Kanepi Parish * Kõlleste Parish * Laheda Parish * Mikitamäe Parish * Mooste Parish * Orava Parish * Põlva Parish (includes the town of Põlva ) * Räpina Parish (includes the town of Räpina ) * Valgjärve Parish * Vastse-Kuuste Parish * Veriora Parish * Värska Parish
10 rural municipalities Municipalities of Rapla County
* Juuru Parish * Järvakandi (borough) * Kaiu Parish * Kehtna Parish * Kohila Parish (includes the borough of Kohila ) * Käru Parish * Märjamaa Parish (includes the borough of Märjamaa ) * Raikküla Parish * Rapla Parish (includes the town of Rapla ) * Vigala Parish
14 municipalities (1 urban, 13 rural) Municipalities of Saare County
* Kihelkonna Parish * Lääne- Saare Parish * Laimjala Parish * Leisi Parish * Muhu Parish * Mustjala Parish * Orissaare Parish * Pihtla Parish * Pöide Parish * Ruhnu Parish * Salme Parish * Torgu Parish * Valjala Parish
22 municipalities (3 urban, 19 rural) Municipalities of Tartu County
* Alatskivi Parish * Haaslava Parish * Kambja Parish * Konguta Parish * Laeva Parish * Luunja Parish * Meeksi Parish * Mäksa Parish * Nõo Parish * Peipsiääre Parish * Piirissaare Parish * Puhja Parish * Rannu Parish * Rõngu Parish * Tartu Parish * Tähtvere Parish * Vara Parish * Võnnu Parish * Ülenurme Parish
13 municipalities (2 urban, 11 rural) Municipalities of Valga County
* Helme Parish (will form Tõrva Parish in 2017) * Hummuli Parish (will form Tõrva Parish in 2017) * Karula Parish * Otepää Parish (includes the town of Otepää ) * Palupera Parish * Puka Parish * Põdrala Parish (will form Tõrva Parish in 2017) * Sangaste Parish * Taheva Parish * Tõlliste Parish * Õru Parish
12 municipalities (3 urban, 9 rural) Municipalities of Viljandi County
* Abja Parish (includes the town of Abja-Paluoja ) * Halliste Parish * Karksi Parish (includes the town of Karksi-Nuia ) * Kolga-Jaani Parish * Kõo Parish * Kõpu Parish * Suure-Jaani Parish (includes the town of Suure-Jaani ) * Tarvastu Parish * Viljandi Parish
13 municipalities (1 urban, 12 rural) Municipalities of Võru County
* Antsla Parish (includes the town of Antsla ) * Haanja Parish * Lasva Parish * Meremäe Parish * Misso Parish * Mõniste Parish * Rõuge Parish * Sõmerpalu Parish * Urvaste Parish * Varstu Parish * Vastseliina Parish * Võru Parish
STRUCTURE OF LOCAL AUTHORITIES
In each municipality there is a local government as well as a council .
The COUNCIL (volikogu) is a representative body elected by the residents of a municipality for a term of three years. The members of the council elect a chairman (volikogu esimees), who organises the council’s work and represents the municipality.
The GOVERNMENT (valitsus) is an executive body formed by the council. It is headed by a mayor (linnapea in towns, vallavanem in parishes), who is appointed for a four-year term. The mayor cannot be the chairman of the council. Other members of the government are chosen by the mayor with the approval of the council.
THIS SECTION NEEDS EXPANSION. You can help by adding to it . (November 2013)
* ^ http://www.einst.ee/factsheets/factsheets_uus_kuju/local_government_reform.htm * ^ "Täna tõmmati esmakordselt lehvima uue Lääne-Saare valla lipp" (in Estonian). ERR . 2014-12-31. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
* Local Government Reform by the