MIGHTY DIAMONDS are a Jamaican harmony trio, recording roots reggae with a strong Rastafarian influence. The group was formed in 1969 and remains together as of 2012. They are best known for their 1976 debut album Right Time produced by Joseph Hoo Kim and the 1979 release Deeper Roots.
* 1 History
* 2 Discography
* 2.1 Studio albums * 2.2 Collaborations and split albums * 2.3 Compilations * 2.4 Live albums
* 3 References * 4 External links
Formed in 1969 in the
Their early recordings were produced by Pat Francis , Stranger Cole
("Girl You Are Too Young" (1970), "Oh No Baby"), Derrick Harriott
Back in Jamaica, they continued to record for Channel One, with the Stand Up to Your Judgment album released in 1978, and continued to produce a string of hit singles. They also released records on their own 'Bad Gong' label. The group's Deeper Roots, released in 1979, was their next big album success, again released by Virgin, on its Front Line label.
In the early 1980s they recorded with producer Gussie Clarke , largely using old Studio One tracks as the basis for their recordings, and dubplates of these sessions became popular on sound systems in Jamaica, New York, and London, particularly "Pass the Kouchie", recorded on the "Full Up" riddim . Their work with Clarke produced the 1981 album Changes.
"Pass the Koutchie", written by Ferguson and Simpson, became an
international hit twice, when first released (on their 1982 album
Changes ) and again when it was covered by
The group continued to release albums regularly, adapting successfully to the prevailing digital rhythms of the 1980s and beyond. Tabby, Bunny and Judge have produced over forty albums in their long career.
* Right Time (1976), Well Charge/Virgin – also issued under the title When The Right Time Come (I Need A Roof) * Ice on Fire (1977), Virgin * Planet Mars Dub (1978), Front Line – The Icebreakers and the Diamonds, dub version of Planet Earth * Stand Up To Your Judgment (1978), Channel One * Tell Me What's Wrong (1978), Hit Bound * Planet Earth (1978), Virgin * Deeper Roots (1979), Front Line * Deeper Roots Dub (1979) * Changes (1981), Music Works * Dubwise (1981), Music Works – six dub versions from Changes and four other dubs * Reggae Street (1981), Shanachie * The Roots Is There (1982), Music Works/Shanachie * Indestructible (1982), Alligator (similar to the album 'Changes' with two extra songs) * Heads of Government (1982), Jah Guidance * Leaders of Black Countries (Showcase Album) (1983), Mobiliser * Backstage (1983), Music Works * Kouchie Vibes (1984), Burning Sounds * Diamonds Are Forever (1984), Woorell Japan – 8 songs exclusive to Japan plus two singles * Pass The Kouchie (1985), Bad Gong – singles issued on Bad Gong records in the early eighties plus new material * Struggling (1985), Live & Learn * If You Looking For Trouble (1986), Live & Learn * The Real Enemy (1987), Greensleeves * Never Get Weary (1988), Live & Learn * Get Ready (1988), Rohit International/Greensleeves * Ready for the World (1989), Overheat Japan – 8 songs exclusive to Japan plus two singles * Jam Session (1990), Live & Learn * Tour The World (1991) – contains five new songs and five old songs * Patience (1991), Tassa * The Moment of Truth (1992), Mango * Bust Out (1993), Greensleeves/VP * Speak The Truth (1994), RAS * Stand Up (1998), Gone Clear * Thugs in the Streets (2006), Nocturne * Inna De Yard (2008), Makasound – acoustic versions of classic songs performed with nyabinghi drums
COLLABORATIONS AND SPLIT ALBUMS
* Vital Dub Strictly Rockers (aka: Vital Dub – Well Charged)
(1976) – includes five dub versions from the
Right Time album
* Trinity Meet The
* Vital Selection (1981), Virgin – 1976–1979 Joseph Hoo Kim
* Ebony And Ivory (1983), Woorell – Japanese compilation of
Augustus Clark productions
* Go Seek Your Rights (1990), Front Line – 1976–1979 Joseph Hoo
Kim produced material
* The Best of Reggae Live (2001) – Frankie Paul ">
* ^ A B C D E F G H I J Larkin, Colin (1998) The Virgin
Encyclopedia of Reggae, Virgin Books, ISBN 0-7535-0242-9 , p. 196-7
* ^ A B C D E F Huey, Steve "The
* MusicBrainz : e0885194-a186-4c9b-9643-f6d54aeb6bfd
Links: ------ /wiki/Roots_reggae /wiki/Rastafari_movement /wiki/Right_Time