A LOWER HOUSE is one of two chambers of a bicameral legislature , the other chamber being the upper house . Inside the Australian House of Representatives
Despite its official position "below" the upper house, in many legislatures worldwide, the lower house has come to wield more power. A legislature composed of only one house is described as unicameral .
* 1 Common attributes
* 2 Titles of lower houses
* 2.1 Common names * 2.2 Unique Names
* 3 See also * 4 References
In comparison with the upper house, lower houses frequently display certain characteristics: Powers
* In a parliamentary system :
* Much more power, usually based on restrictions against the upper house. * Able to override the upper house in some ways. * Can vote a motion of no confidence against the government. * Exceptions are Australia, where the Senate has considerable power approximate to that of the House of Representatives, and Italy, where the Senate has exactly the same powers as the Chamber of Deputies.
* In a presidential system :
* Somewhat less power, as the upper house alone gives advice and consent to some executives decisions (e..g. appointments). * Given the sole power to impeach the executive (the upper house then tries the impeachment ) * Frequently, bills to raise revenue and to appropriate funds must originate in the lower house.
* Always elected directly, while the upper house may be elected directly, indirectly, or not elected at all. * Its members may be elected with a different voting system to the upper house. * Most populated administrative divisions are better represented than in the upper house; representation is usually proportional to population. * Elected more frequently. * Elected all at once, not by staggered terms. * In a parliamentary system, can be dissolved by the executive. * More members. * Has total or original control over budget and monetary laws. * Lower age of candidacy than the upper house.
TITLES OF LOWER HOUSES
Dáil Éireann, Republic of Ireland
Many lower houses are named in the following manner: House/Chamber of Representatives/the People/Commons/Deputies.
* Camera dei Deputati _Chamber of Deputies_ ( Italy ) * Lok Sabha _House of the People_ (India ) * Dewan Perwakilan Rakyat _People's Representative Council_ ( Indonesia ) * Dáil Éireann _Assembly of Ireland_ (Ireland ) * Dewan Rakyat _People's Hall_ ( Malaysia ) * Congreso de los Diputados _ Congress of Deputies_ (Spain ) * Mazhilis _Assembly_ ( Kazakhstan ) * House of Keys ( Isle of Man ) * Sejm ( Republic of Poland ) (not to be confused with the Great Sejm ) * State Duma (Russia ) * Tweede Kamer _Second Chamber_ ( Netherlands ) * Bundestag _Federal Diet_ ( Germany ) * Pyithu Hluttaw _House of Representatives_ ( Myanmar ) * Βουλή των Ελλήνων _Council of the Hellenes_ (Greece )
* ^ _Bicameralism_ (1997) by George Tsebelis * ^ "http://www.pyithuhluttaw.gov.mm/". _www.pyithuhluttaw.gov.mm_. Retrieved 2016-03-02. External link in title= (help )
* v * t * e
Lower houses of national legislatures
* Argentina * Australia * Austria * Belgium * Bosnia and Herzegovina * Brazil * Canada * Ethiopia * Germany * India * Malaysia * Mexico * Nigeria * Pakistan * Russia * Somalia * South Sudan * Sudan * Switzerland * United States
* Afghanistan * Algeria * Antigua and Barbuda * Bahamas * Bahrain * Barbados * Belarus * Belize * Bhutan * Bolivia * Burundi * Cambodia * Cameroon * Central African Republic * Chile * Colombia * Democratic Republic of the Congo * Republic of the Congo * Czech Republic * Dominican Republic * Equatorial Guinea * France * Gabon * Grenada * Haiti * Indonesia * Ireland * Italy * Ivory Coast * Jamaica * Japan * Jordan * Kazakhstan * Kenya * Lesotho * Liberia * Madagascar * Mauritania * Morocco * Myanmar * Namibia * Netherlands * Oman * Palau * Paraguay * Philippines * Poland * Romania * Rwanda * Saint Lucia * Slovenia * South Africa * Spain * Swaziland * Tajikistan * Trinidad and Tobago * United Kingdom * Uruguay * Uzbekistan * Zimbabwe
Dependent and other territories
* American Samoa * Bermuda * Isle of Man * Northern Mariana Islands * Puerto Rico
* National upper houses * National bicameral legislatures * National unicameral legislatures
PORTALS Access related topics
* _ LAW PORTAL _ * _ POLITICS PORTAL _
Find out more on's SISTER PROJECTS
* Media from Commons * Definitions from Wiktionary * Data from Wikidata