An online dictionary is a dictionary that is accessible via the Internet through a web browser. They can be made available in a number of ways: free, free with a paid subscription for extended or more professional content, or a paid-only service. Some online dictionaries are organized as lists of words, similar to a glossary, while others offer search features, reverse lookups, and additional language tools and content such as verb conjugations, grammar references, and discussion forums.
Selected online English dictionaries
The following is a concise list of online English dictionaries whose definitions are based upon well-established content.
Advanced learner dictionaries
- Linguee free multilingual dictionary and contextual sentences. English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch, Italian, and Polish, among other languages.
- LEO (website) free multilingual collaborative dictionary for German
- Madura English-Sinhala Dictionary free English to Sinhala and vice versa online dictionary.
- Multitran multilingual Internet-based dictionary centered on Russian, and provides an opportunity of adding your own translation
- Ultralingua free and premium multilingual dictionary
- Webster's Online Dictionary: The Rosetta Edition: a multilingual online dictionary which compiles different online dictionaries and encyclopedia including Wiktionary and.
- Wiktionary collaborative project run by the Wikimedia Foundation
- WWWJDIC Japanese–English
- Reverso multilingual collaborative dictionary and contextual translations
- English language
- Other specific languages