This LIST OF 18TH-CENTURY BRITISH PERIODICALS excludes daily
The Spectator (1711)
The Spectator (1711) , (1711–1714) daily 1711–1712, founded by
Joseph Addison and
Richard Steele , in 1714 three times a week for six
months, but collected in book form it remained hugely popular for the
rest of the century.
Vetusta Monumenta (1718–1906) Illustrated antiquarian papers at
intermittent intervals, published by the Society of Antiquaries of
* The Gentleman\'s Magazine (1731–1907). Monthly.
The London Magazine
The London Magazine (1732–1785)
* The Bee (1733-1735). Founded by Eustace Budgell.
* Lloyd\'s List (1734–). Weekly, then semi-weekly.
The Scots Magazine (1739–1826).
The Universal Magazine of Knowledge and Pleasure (1747–1814).
Monthly. Editors included James Hinton , W. Bent, and Percival
* The Monthly Review (1749–1845). Monthly. Founded by Ralph
Robert Dodsley .
Oliver Goldsmith was a contributor.
The Rambler (1750–1752). Twice weekly.
The World (1753-1756). Every Thursday. Founded by "Adam Fitz-Adam"
(i.e. Edwin Moore) and published by the Dodsleys.
* The Connoisseur (1754–1756). Weekly.
The Critical Review
The Critical Review (1756–1817)
Annual Register (1758–). Annually.
* The Bee (1759–1759)
* Exeter Mercury or West Country Advertiser, later Trewman\'s Exeter
Flying Post (1763–1917)
The Gospel Magazine (1766–)
Theological Repository (1769–1771, 1784, 1786, 1788)
Town and Country Magazine (1769–)
* Lady\'s Magazine (1770–1837). Monthly.
* The Building Magazine (1774–78)
Wesleyan Methodist Magazine (1778–1969). Monthly
Arminian Magazine (1778–1913)
* The European Magazine, and London Review (1782–1826). Founded by
James Perry ; later edited by
Isaac Reed .
* A New Review (1782–1786). Edited by
Paul Henry Maty .
* Annals of Agriculture (1784–1815). Started by Arthur Young .
* The New Town & Country Magazine (1787–89)
Analytical Review (1788–1799)
The Botanical Magazine , subsequently Curtis's Botanical Magazine
The Observer (1791–). Weekly.
The Sporting Magazine . (1792–). Monthly.
British Critic . Quarterly (1793–1826)
* Anthologia hibernica (1793–94). Published in Dublin.
The Monthly Mirror (1795-1811). Founded by Thomas Bellamy .
* The Tribune (1795–96). Edited by
* The Aberdeen Magazine , Or, Universal Repository. (1796–98)
Monthly Magazine (1796–1825). Founded by Sir Richard
Phillips , edited by
* The Watchman (1796). Founded and edited by Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Anti-Jacobin , or, Weekly Examiner (1797–98)
Anti-Jacobin Review (1798–1821)
Philosophical Magazine (1798–)
* The Asiatic annual register (1799–1811)
* Conjuror\'s Magazine (1791-1794 ?)
List of nineteenth-century British periodicals
List of eighteenth century journals
* ^ Jr, Robert B. White, (1976). The English literary journal to
1900 : a guide to information sources. Detroit: Gale Research Co. ISBN
* ^ Hayden, John. O (1969). The Romantic Reviewers, 1802-1824.
Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
additional terms may apply. By using this site, you agree to the Terms
the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. , a non-profit organization.
* Cookie statement
* Mobile view