Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council, Kargil (LAHDC Kargil), is an Autonomous District Council that administers the Kargil District of Ladakh, India.
In October 1993, the central Government of India and the state Government of Jammu and Kashmir agreed to grant each district of Ladakh the status of Autonomous Hill Council. This agreement was given effect by the Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council Act, 1995. A hill council for Leh district was formed in 1995 and the council for Kargil district was formed in 2003.
The 3rd General Election of LAHDC-K was held on 22 August 2013. Overall voter turnout was 79.65% The election resulted in a hung house at first with the two major parties, Indian National Congress and National Conference, along with their allies the IKMT and the Islamia School Kargil respectively managing to secure 11 seats each. However, after the deliberations of the State Coordination Committee, the INC was declared to head the new council. Haji Mohammad Hanifa Jan has replaced Haji Asgar Ali Karbalai and took oath as the new Chief Executive Councillor, LAHDC Kargil.
The autonomous hill councils work with village panchayats to take decisions on economic development, healthcare, education, land use, taxation, and local governance which are further reviewed at the block headquarters in the presence of the chief executive councillor and executive councillors. The Ladakh Police continues to look after law and order while Administration of Ladakh looks after the judicial system, communications and the higher education in the districts.
The council has thirty members of which 26 are directly elected and four are appointed to represent women and minority communities. The council is led by a Chief Executive Councillor, who leads an executive committee of five members.
Members by party
The members of the executive committee are as follows:
- Feroz Ahmed Khan - Chief Executive Councillor
- Sayeed Mujtaba - Executive Councillor for Social Welfare, Horticulture, Handloom and Animal and Sheep Husbandry
- Syeed Abass Razvi - Executive Councillor for Road and Buildings, Mechanical, Food Civil Supplies, Industries, Commerce, Co-operative, Fisheries and Information
- Punchok Tashi - Executive Councillor for Rural Development, Local Government, Tourism, Handicrafts and Zanskar Affairs
- Mohdammad Ali Chandan - Executive Councillor for Health, Revenue, Agriculture, Conservation, Forestry, Wildlife and Industrial Training Institutes
- Baseer-ul-Haq Choudhary - Chief Executive Officer / District Magistrate