John is a common English name and surname:
John (given name)
John is a common English name and surname:
* John (given name)
* John (surname), including a list of people who have the name John
John may also refer to:
New Testament Works
** Gospel of John, a title often shortened to ...
John is a surname which, like the given name John (given name), John, is derived from the Hebrew language, Hebrew name , ', meaning "Graced by Yahweh".
People with this surname include:
* Anaparambil Joseph John (1893–1957), Travancorean freedom ...
, including a list of people who have the name John
John may also refer to:
Johannine literature refers to the collection of New Testament
The New Testament grc, Ἡ Καινὴ Διαθήκη, Transliteration, transl. ; la, Novum Testamentum. (NT) is the second division of the Biblical canon#Christian canons, Chri ...
Gospel of John
The Gospel according to John ( el, Εὐαγγέλιον κατὰ Ἰωάννην, translit=Euangélion katà Iōánnēn, also known as the Gospel of John, or simply John) is the fourth of the four canonical gospels. It contains a highly sche ...
, a title often shortened to John
The Johannine epistles, the Epistles of John, or the Letters of John are three of the catholic epistles of the New Testament
The New Testament grc, Ἡ Καινὴ Διαθήκη, Transliteration, transl. ; la, Novum Testamentum. (NT) is ...
First Epistle of John
The First Epistle of John, often referred to as First John and written 1 John or I John, is the first of the Johannine epistles of the New Testament
The New Testament grc, Ἡ Καινὴ Διαθήκη, Transliteration, transl. ; la ...
, often shortened to 1 John
Second Epistle of John
The Second Epistle of John, often referred to as Second John and often written 2 John or II John, is a book of the New Testament
The New Testament grc, Ἡ Καινὴ Διαθήκη, Transliteration, transl. ; la, Novum Testamentum. (NT) ...
, often shortened to 2 John
Third Epistle of John
The Third Epistle of John, often referred to as Third John and written 3 John or III John, is the third-to-last book of the New Testament
The New Testament grc, Ἡ Καινὴ Διαθήκη, Transliteration, transl. ; la, Novum Testamentu ...
, often shortened to 3 John
Book of Revelation
The Book of Revelation (also called the Apocalypse of John, Revelation to John or Revelation from Jesus Christ) is the final book of the New Testament
The New Testament grc, Ἡ Καινὴ Διαθήκη, Transliteration, transl. ; ...
, the Revelation of Saint John the Divine
John the Baptist
John the Baptist ''Yohanān HaMatbil''; la, Ioannes Baptista; grc-gre, Ἰωάννης ὁ βαπτιστής, ''Iōánnēs ho baptistḗs'' or , ''Iōánnēs ho baptízōn'', or , ''Iōánnēs ho pródromos'';Wetterau, Bruce. ''World history'' ...
(died c. 30 AD), regarded as a prophet and the forerunner of Jesus Christ
Authorship of the Johannine works
The authorship of the Johannine works—the Gospel According to St. John, the three Epistles of John, and the Revelation of St. John the Divine—has been debated by scholars since at least the 2nd century AD. The debate focuses mainly on the ...
of the New Testament, sometimes identified as:
John the Apostle
John the Apostle ( arc, ܝܘܚܢܢ ܫܠܝܚܐ, ; he, יוחנן בן זבדי, ; grc, Ἰωάννης; cop, ⲓⲱⲁⲛⲛⲏⲥ or ; la, Ioannes; ) was one of the Twelve Apostles of Jesus
he, יֵשׁוּעַ, '' Yēšū́a ...
(lived c. 30 AD), one of the twelve apostles of Jesus
John the Evangelist
John the Evangelist ( grc-gre, Ἰωάννης, Iōánnēs; Aramaic: ܝܘܚܢܢ; ar, يوحنا الإنجيلي, he, יוחנן האוונגליסט cop, ⲓⲱⲁⲛⲛⲏⲥ or ⲓⲱ̅ⲁ) is the name traditionally given to the author of ...
, assigned author of the Fourth Gospel, once identified with the Apostle
John of Patmos
John of Patmos (also called John the Revelator, John the Divine, John the Theologian, and possibly John the Apostle) could be the author named as John in the Book of Revelation. The text of Revelation states that John was on Patmos, a Greek i ...
, also known as John the Divine or John the Revelator, the author of the Book of Revelation, once identified with the Apostle
John the Presbyter
John the Presbyter was an obscure figure of the early Church who is either distinguished from or identified with the Apostle John and/or John of Patmos. He appears in fragments from the church father Papias of Hierapolis as one of the author's ...
, a figure either identified with or distinguished from the Apostle, the Evangelist and John of Patmos
Other people with the given name
*John, Father of
Andrew the Apostle
Andrew the Apostle ( gr, Ἀνδρέας ''Andreas''; Aramaic: ܐܢܕܪܐܘܣ), also called Saint Andrew, was an Apostles, apostle of Jesus according to the New Testament. He is the brother of Saint Peter. He is referred to in the Eastern Orthod ...
and Saint Peter
John of Antioch (chronicler)John of Antioch was a 7th-century chronicler, who wrote in Greek language, Greek. He was a monk, apparently contemporary with Emperor Heraclius (reigned 610–41). Gelzer (''Sextus Julius Africanus'', 41) identifies the author with the Monophysit ...
, a chronicler of the 7th century
* Pope John
, several popes
* Saint John
, many people
Rulers and other political figures
John of Austria (disambiguation)John of Austria may refer to:
* John of Austria (1547–1578), general and illegitimate son of Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor
* John Joseph of Austria (1629–1679), Spanish general and political figure, illegitimate son of Philip IV of Spain
*John of Bohemia (1296–1346), called John the Blind, king from 1310
*John of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden, better known as Hans of Denmark (1455–1513)
*John of England (1166–1216), king and younger brother of Richard I
*John I of Hungary or János Szapolyai (1487–1540), king from 1526
*John of Poland (disambiguation), three people
*John of Scotland also known as John de Balliol (c. 1249–1314), king from 1292 to 1296
*Infante John, Duke of Valencia de Campos (1349–1397)
*John, Lord of Reguengos de Monsaraz (1400–1442)
*Infante John of Coimbra, Prince of Antioch (1431–1457)
*Infante John, Duke of Viseu (1448–1472), 3rd Duke of Viseu, 2nd Duke of Beja, King Manuel I's older brother
*John the Scythian, a general and politician of the Eastern Roman Empire, consul in 498
*John the Hunchback, a general and politician of the Eastern Roman Empire, consul in 499
*John (nephew of Vitalian), a Byzantine general under Justinian I
*John Troglita, a 6th-century Byzantine general
*John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster (1340–1399), third son of Edward III, King of England
*Prince John of the United Kingdom (1905–1919), prince of the United Kingdom, youngest son/child of George V
Arts, entertainment, and media
* John (Tomorrow People), John (''Tomorrow People''), appearing in the children's science-fiction TV series ''The Tomorrow People''
* John (John and Gillian), appearing in the ''Doctor Who'' TV comic strip
* John-117, or Master Chief, the protagonist of the video game franchise ''Halo''
* ''John'', a 1927 play by Philip Barry
* ''JOHN'', a 2014 play by Lloyd Newson
* John (2005 book), ''John'' (2005 book), a book by Cynthia Lennon about musician John Lennon
* Dear John letter, a letter written to inform a romantic partner that the writer has found a new love interest
* John (Desireless song), "John" (Desireless song)
* John (Lil Wayne song), "John" (Lil Wayne song)
Other uses in arts, entertainment, and media
* ''Dirty John'', a true-crime podcast focusing on the life and exploits of John Meehan (also known as "Filthy John" and "Filthy")
** Dirty John (TV series), ''Dirty John'' (TV series), a TV series based on the podcast
* John Boy and Billy, John Isley (born August 15, 1956) and Billy James (born August 31, 1957), co-hosts of the morning radio program, ''The John Boy & Billy Big Show''
* Slang for Client (prostitution), a person who hires a prostitute
* Slang for a toilet
* John Peaks, mountains on Powell Island, Antarctica
* John the Ripper, password strength checking program (the executable program is simply "john")
* Tropical Storm John (disambiguation), tropical cyclones appearing in the eastern Pacific Ocean
* Alternate forms for the name John
* Dear John (disambiguation)
* Ivan (disambiguation)
* Johnny (disambiguation)
* Johns (disambiguation)
* Jon (disambiguation)
* Yahya (disambiguation)
* Yohanan, a male given name
* Yohannan (disambiguation)