AIRBOURNE is an Australian hard rock band formed in
* 1 History
* 2 Songs in other media * 3 Members * 4 Musical influences
* 5 Discography
* 5.1 Studio albums * 5.2 Extended plays * 5.3 Singles
* 6 Awards and nominations * 7 See also * 8 References * 9 External links
FORMATION AND READY TO ROCK (2003–2006)
Airbourne formed as a hard rock band in late 2003 in the Victorian
country town of
In March 2004 the four-piece won a statewide band competition,
Push-On, in Melbourne. Their early material was influenced by
Australian rock bands
AC/DC , The Angels ,
Billy Thorpe and Rose
Tattoo . They recorded an eight-track extended play,
Ready to Rock ,
which appeared in July 2004 as an independent self-funded release.
By that time Jacobson was replaced by
Justin Street (born c. 1986) on
bass guitar – Ryan had met Street while stumbling home drunk from a
party one night. In early 2005, the band relocated to Melbourne and
in August, they signed a five album record deal with
RUNNIN\' WILD (2006–2009)
In 2006 Airbourne travelled to the
The album peaked in the top 30 on the ARIA Albums Chart in Australia,
top 40 on New Zealand's RIANZ Albums Chart and appeared on charts in
Austria, Switzerland and France. During late 2007, the group toured
In a September 2008 interview with MetalSucks, Joel discussed
comparisons with AC/DC, "whoever you are when you come out, especially
if you’re from
NO GUTS. NO GLORY. (2009–2011)
Roads confirmed that in January 2009, Airbourne would enter the studio to begin recording their second album, No Guts. No Glory. In the 17 January issue of Kerrang! magazine, Joel revealed they had earlier written the tracks in the Criterion Hotel, "We're getting all our gear plugged in and getting set for Aussie pub rock written in an Aussie rock pub!"
The album was produced by Johnny K , mixed by Mike Fraser , and was released on 8 March 2010 in the UK, Europe, Canada, Japan, Australia and New Zealand, and in the U.S. on 20 April. "Born to Kill", was first played live at the Logan Campbell Centre, Auckland, New Zealand in October 2009. In January 2010, another new song, "No Way But the Hard Way ", was played on the BBC Radio 1's Rock Show. On 9 February it was available on iTunes , as the first single from the album. The album reached the top 20 on the ARIA Albums Chart, and top 20 on albums charts in Austria, New Zealand, Finland, Greece, Sweden and Switzerland. In the UK it peaked at No. 31, while on the US Billboard 200 it reached the top 100.
The Band went on a UK Tour supporting
BLACK DOG BARKING (2011–2014)
Slash with a band shirt during the
Sweden Rock Festival
It was announced in November 2011 through their official Facebook page that since mid-2011 the band had been working on a new album, and that updates were to follow soon. The album's name, Black Dog Barking , was announced in early February 2013 on their Facebook page. It was released on 21 May 2013 via Roadrunner. The cover artwork was once again created by Australian artists The Sharp Brothers, who also did the cover artwork for No Guts. No Glory. According to David Roads, the idea behind the album title was, to use the Black Dog as a metaphor for the band's ability to break the rules, especially not to care for db limits. At the end of 2013 Airbourne toured Europe, supported - amongst others - by the Swedish band Corroded .
BREAKIN\' OUTTA HELL (2014–PRESENT)
In November 2014,
In January 2015, the band revealed that they signed for a worldwide deal with Spinefarm Records .
In June 2016, the band announced that the new album would be titled Breakin\' Outta Hell , being released September 23, 2016. The title track was released as a single on July 8.
On April 7, 2017, it was announced via the band's Facebook page that long-time rhythm guitarist David Roads would be leaving the band to work in his family business. Harri Harrison was announced as his replacement.
SONGS IN OTHER MEDIA
This section NEEDS ADDITIONAL CITATIONS FOR VERIFICATION . Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources . Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message )
Airbourne has provided their music for the soundtracks of the following video games :
* Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle – "It's All For Rock n' Roll" * Burnout Paradise – "Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast" (edited) * Guitar Hero World Tour , NASCAR 09 – "Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast" * Battlefield: Bad Company , Madden NFL 08 , NHL 09 , NASCAR 09 – "Runnin' Wild" * Rock Band , Rock Band 2 – "Runnin' Wild" (as downloadable content ; however, the song has since been removed from the Rock Band library) * NASCAR 08 , "Medal of Honor: Airborne , Madden NFL 09 – "Stand Up for Rock 'N' Roll" * Need For Speed: ProStreet , NFL Tour – "Blackjack" (edited) * Need For Speed: Undercover , Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 , Tony Hawk\'s Proving Ground – "Girls in Black" * Skate – "Let's Ride" * WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2009 , WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2010 – "Turn Up the Trouble" used as Mr. Kennedy 's entrance theme. * Madden NFL 09 – "Stand Up for Rock 'N' Roll" * Madden NFL 10 – "Heads are Gonna Roll" * Jonah Hex – "Born to Kill" * Twisted Metal – "Raise the Flag" * NHL 08 – "Stand Up for Rock 'N' Roll" * NHL 11 – "Bottom of the Well" * NHL 14 – "Live It Up" * Guitar Hero Live – "Back in the Game"
Airbourne have gained exposure in the
In the movie The Lost Boys: The Tribe, a sequel to the original Lost
Boys, the song "Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast" is played in the car as
Chris and Nicole drive to their new house. The song is also used in
the 2009 comedy
I Love You Beth Cooper . The song "Let's Ride" appears
in the 2008 film College . The song "Diamond in the Rough" is
constantly used during the
* Joel O\'Keeffe –
Lead vocals , lead guitar
* Ryan O\'Keeffe – Drums , percussion
* Harri Harrison –
YEAR ALBUM DETAILS PEAK CHART POSITIONS Certifications (sales thresholds )
AUS AUT CAN FRA GER NZ SWE SWI UK US
2007 RUNNIN\\' WILD
* Released: 23 June 2007
21 59 — 95 27 39 — 49 62 106
* BPI : Silver
2010 NO GUTS. NO GLORY.
* Released: 8 March 2010 * Label: EMI, Roadrunner * Format: CD
19 13 11 31 4 9 11 9 31 90
2013 BLACK DOG BARKING
* Released: 21 May 2013 * Label: Roadrunner * Format: CD
17 11 21 31 5 19 13 9 22 89
2016 BREAKIN\\' OUTTA HELL
* Released: 23 September 2016 * Label: Spinefarm * Format: CD
13 3 54 21 3 33 36 4 9 —
"—" denotes album that did not chart or was not released in that country.
* Ready to Rock (2004) * Live at the Playroom (2007)
YEAR SONG CHART POSITIONS ALBUM
CAN CAN ROCK US MAIN. ROCK
2007 "RUNNIN\\' WILD " 90 1 22 Runnin\' Wild
"TOO MUCH, TOO YOUNG, TOO FAST " 74 3 16
"DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH" — 13 —
2010 "NO WAY BUT THE HARD WAY " — 2 29 No Guts. No Glory.
"BLONDE, BAD AND BEAUTIFUL" — 9 —
"BORN TO KILL" — — —
2013 "LIVE IT UP" — 1 40 Black Dog Barking
"NO ONE FITS ME (BETTER THAN YOU)" — 1 —
2016 "BREAKIN\' OUTTA HELL" — 1 42 Breakin\' Outta Hell
AWARDS AND NOMINATIONS
* ARIAS :
* Nominated: Best Rock Album (2007) for Runnin\' Wild * Nominated: Breakthrough Album Of The Year (2007) for Runnin\' Wild
* SLEAZEROXX.COM :
* Winner: Best Album (2007) for Runnin\' Wild * Voted 12th Best Album (2007) in Sleaze Roxx Reader\'s Poll for Runnin\' Wild
* Nominated: Best Rock Vocal Performance (2007) for Runnin\' Wild * Nominated: Best Rock Song (2007) for "Runnin\' Wild " * Nominated: Best New Artist (2007)
* METAL HAMMER GOLDEN GODS AWARDS :
* Winner: Best Debut Album (2008) for Runnin\' Wild
* CLASSIC ROCK ROLL OF HONOUR AWARDS :
* Winner: Best New Band (2008)
* Music of
* ^ "Certified Awards Search".
British Phonographic Industry .
Retrieved 30 April 2014. Note: User needs to enter "Airbourne" in the
"Search" field, "Artist" in the "Search by" field and click the "Go"
button. Select "More info" next to the relevant entry to see full
* ^ A B C Macgregor, Jody. "Airbourne > Biography".
Corporation ). Retrieved 30 October 2011.
* ^ A B C D "Brothers Airborne".
South West TAFE . 13 March 2003.
Retrieved 30 October 2011. Note: Originally appeared in the