This is a list of fictional characters appearing in the Cyborg 009
* 1 Protagonists
* 1.1 00 Cyborgs * 1.2 Humans * 1.3 Voice casts
* 2 Antagonists
* 2.1 Skull/Black Ghost * 2.2 00 Cyborg Assassins * 2.3 Humans * 2.4 Cyborg Men * 2.5 Mythos Cyborgs * 2.6 The Mutant Warriors * 2.7 The Yomi Kingdom
* 3 Others * 4 References
* JOE SHIMAMURA (島村ジョー, Shimamura Jō) - CYBORG 009, and the main character/leader
He is super-humanly strong, resistant to damage, can leap large distances, and can breathe underwater. His most prominent ability is the power to move at a speed so fast that everything else looks like a statue to him, this is triggered by a switch embedded in his teeth. However, he cannot touch any normal creatures such as humans in this state; the high speeds would kill or otherwise cause serious injury to the creature through air friction. During each of the series, he acts as the field leader and first line attack of the 00 Cyborgs.
Joe is originally from Japan, although he is actually half-Japanese
who's unknown father was presumably a soldier in the US Army stationed
* IVAN WHISKY (イワン·ウイスキー, Iwan Uisukī) - CYBORG 001
His father Gamo performed numerous brain enhancement processes on Ivan that allowed his mental capacity to far exceed that of a normal human adult, against the wishes of Ivan's mother Erika (whom he even kills in the manga). Ivan's enhanced brain gives him several psychic powers, such as telepathy, telekinesis, and extra-sensory perception. However, he sometimes falls asleep at inopportune times because he is still a baby and his body can barely handle such powers.
Ivan is a baby originally from Russia, born with a severe illness. His father Gamo was a famous brain surgeon who went mad after searching for a cure. Ivan later fell into the custody of Black Ghost, who dubbed him the first member of the organization's 00-Cyborg program. He was one of the 00 Cyborgs who were frozen until more advanced technology and procedures were developed. While still a pacifier-sucking infant, he is talented in scientific analysis and can telepathically converse at an adult level. He acts as the 00 Cyborgs central command and emergency psychokinetic defense.
* JET LINK (ジェット·リンク, Jetto Rinku) - CYBORG 002
Unmistakable with his swept-back hair, confident smile and longer-than-real-life nose, Jet has thrusters built into his feet, allowing him to fly at speeds of up to Mach 5. Jet is also equipped with an earlier, less powerful acceleration mode, later refined in 009.
In the 2001 anime continuity, Jet was originally 001, but was replaced by Ivan. Jet comes from New York City in the United States and was the leader of the Jets gang in New York's West Side . (In the manga, his character is introduced in a scene that parodies the opening scenes of the movie West Side Story ). He was intercepted by Black Ghost members when he stabbed a Puerto Rican gang member to death, who took him away from the scene to be made into a cyborg later. He has a brash personality that often conflicts with his peers, but is nonetheless a loyal and good-hearted member of the team. He provides air support and rescue.
* FRANçOISE ARNOUL (フランソワーズ·アルヌール, Furansowāzu Arunūru) - CYBORG 003
She has enhanced vision and hearing, allowing her to see through walls and sense objects an enormous distance away; and is also an excellent pilot, technician, and a machine whiz.
Françoise was originally a ballet dancer from France. Her brother Jean (JEAN-PAUL in the English dub), a member of the French Air Force, returned to Paris on a one-week leave, and Françoise was to meet him at the train station. However, she was kidnapped by Black Ghost despite numerous attempts by her brother to save her along the way. In the third anime series, Black Ghost offers a fake professional dancing career so they can kidnap her. She is the only female member of the team, 003 rarely fights though she will when needed and is often seen either directing the battle under Gilmore's guidance or caring for 001. In the 2001 anime, she was one of the 00 Cyborgs who were frozen until more advanced technology and procedures were developed; she's chronologically in her 50s, being 19 when captured. Her jobs include reconnaissance, advance warning, and caring for 001. She and Joe seem to have a romantic relationship.
* ALBERT HEINRICH (アルベルト·ハインリヒ, Aruberuto Hainrihi) - CYBORG 004
The extent of his injuries caused Heinrich to receive the most extensive cyborg modifications: the fingertips on his right hand conceal machine gun barrels, his left hand has razor-sharp edges, and he has missiles hidden in his knees.
Albert was originally from East Germany. He and his fiancée Hilda attempted to escape to West Berlin in the guise of circus members. However, because Albert forgot to retrieve his forged identification from a guard, he panicked and sped off. The border guards opened fire on the truck, injuring Albert and killing Hilda in the process. Black Ghost agents arrived on the scene and lied that they would take Albert to a hospital. 004 often has a gruff exterior which belies his friendly personality and disgust with war, and he is also a skilled combat tactician. He was the last of the 00 Cyborgs who were frozen until more advanced technology and procedures were made and is chronologically the oldest of the group, being already 30 years old when captured. In the 2001 series, upon waking up as a cyborg, Albert was stricken with despair and developed suicidal tendencies, aggravated by the side effects of his modifications which caused him additional physical pain and strain. This ultimately forced Black Ghost to halt the cyborg program for decades, and put the existing cyborgs in suspended animation until technology developed sufficiently to make future cyborg soldiers more stable. He is most often frontline advance and anti-personnel.
* GERONIMO JR. (ジェロニモ·ジュニア, Jeronimo Junia) - CYBORG 005
Physically, he is the strongest as well as the biggest of the 00 Cyborgs; he also has heavily armored skin. However, he is also a silent man with a deep reverence for nature and life, and it's speculated that he may have a sort of sixth sense that allows him to sense changes in the nature and possibly other people's thoughts.
Also called "G-Junior" for short, he was originally from an
undisclosed part of the southwest
* CHANG CHANGKU (張々湖, Chanchanko) - CYBORG 006
Chang's power allows him to breathe huge flames which he uses to create tunnels in the earth and attack enemies with underground explosions.
Chang was originally from China. He was an impoverished Chinese farmer who once owned a pig farm; almost all of his pigs ran away and he was starving and suffering under heavy taxes. Hopeless, Chang decided to end his misery by hanging himself. However, he was "saved" by a bullet from Black Ghost which cut the noose. Chang fainted and was later delivered to the Black Ghost laboratory (In the 2001 series, he owns a restaurant, thus explaining why he's such a good cook, but burns it down after doing a fire-breathing trick, then he loses everything else. Black Ghost agents pick him up when he faints). He's a jovial fellow who is well-versed in the ways of cooking; his refined cuisine and happy personality always manage to bring his teammates back to good spirits. His role, aside from food preparation, is anti-personnel and line advance.
* SIR GREAT BRITAIN (グレート·ブリテン, Gurēto Buriten) - CYBORG 007
007 has the incredible ability to reshape his cellular structure at will, allowing him to take form of any object, creature, or person he wishes. With his superb acting skills, he can also blend in with the enemy to use sneaky maneuvers and attacks. His powers make 007 a master of infiltration/espionage; by morphing into a dangerous animal or gigantic form he can also be very useful in field combat.
Great Britain, whose real name is unknown, was originally from the
United Kingdom. He was once a famous and talented stage actor with a
broad knowledge of famous shows but a weakness for Alcohol cause his
downfall . In the 2001 TV series, Great Britain was in love with an
actress named Sophie, who worked with him. Later he became more famous
and gradually ignored his past love. One financial problem after
another arose, and the once great thespian was reduced over time to
the life of a penniless nobody who would do anything for a drink or a
smoke. Black Ghost agents, noticing his plight, easily lured Great
Britain into their vehicle with an alcoholic beverage. Later when he
escapes with the other cyborgs he returns to the
In the 1960s anime versions, he is a child rather than an adult, in an attempt by the producers to appeal to a younger audience. Though Ishinomori initially disapproved of this, he later temporarily mirrored it in the manga version by having Gilmore alter 007's body to make the child form his standard form in a one-shot titled "The Man in the High Castle" (though this change was quickly discarded soon after).
* PYUNMA (ピュンマ) - CYBORG 008
Pyunma, the only member of the team with real combat training, has mechanical lungs that allow him to survive for very long periods of time underwater.
Pyunma was originally from an undisclosed part of Africa (eventually
revealed to be
* DR. ISAAC GILMORE (アイザック·ギルモア博士, Aizakku Girumoa Hakase)
The lead scientist in the 00 Cyborg program, Gilmore was a dutiful worker who hid a deep distrust for Black Ghost's plans. (In the 2001 series, he only begins to have serious misgivings about the time 005 is built - his superiors force him to install a lower-grade part, because it would lead to more revenue - and has a much less prominent role in creating the rest.) After the cybernetic enhancements for the first nine 00 Cyborgs were complete, he intentionally let himself be "taken hostage" by the cyborgs. Since then, he has been the team's advisor and father figure, not only helping to formulate the team's plans but also assisting them with the nuances of their newfound mechanical bodies.
In the 1979 series it is revealed that he and fellow scientist Reinhardt was captured and forced to work on Operation Superman (possibly the first cyborg project ever) for the Nazi regime during the 1940s. Gilmore, when he learned that he was working on Hitler's secret project, was disgusted by this fact and decided to escape. He was aided by the chaos created by an Allied strike on the laboratory he was working in and managed to escape in the confusion.
* DR. KOZUMI (コズミ博士, Kozumi Hakase)
Calm and perceptive Kozumi is Gilmore's old friend from before he joined Black Ghost, and is also a doctor specialized in biochemistry (it's hinted he may be even on the Nobel Prize level). His mansion in the outskirts of Tokyo became the cyborg's HQ during the first episodes; Kozumi not only helped develop the antidote for a poison that affected the cyborgs, but also aided 004 when he was starting to doubt himself again, and was the first person to notice how Gilmore and the cyborgs were becoming more of a family than merely a group of fighters. He was kidnapped by Black Ghost, and the cyborgs had to rescue him by fighting and defeating 0012 and 0013; after that, he remained a good friend of the team.
MOVIES 1 however, they may still use their electrical attacks as long as they work in tandem and one remains dry. * CYBORG 0011 - A giant, black, mechanical spider-like cyborg. He was a normal man whose mind was put into this machine and his only wish is to return to his own body so he may see his wife and daughter; he is willing to do anything, even kill, to get such a goal. After learning this, 004 tries to convince him to change sides and almost succeeds, but after 0011 falls into the sea he returns, his mind now being controlled by Black Ghost, totally bent on destruction. He fires lasers and sticky goop from holes in his sides which can be covered and he can release a toxic rain cloud that poisons even cyborgs. He is defeated by 004, who manages to shoot him in his weak spot reluctantly; he had hoped to reason with 0011 first, but wasn't heard. * CYBORG 0012 - A beautiful woman who is actually a cyborg mansion. She was a rich, noble-born foreigner lady who only lived (and eventually died) waiting for her husband, who died in World War I; eventually Black Ghost converted her abandoned mansion into a cyborg deathtrap, with her mind locked inside her cryogenically-frozen body as the main control. She controls everything in the house and can use holograms with her original looks to communicate with her victims. 007 is at first smitten with her and even after learning she is a killer cyborg, still holds sympathy for her and tries to help her, only to be shunned. She is defeated by 004, 007, and 009. * CYBORG 0013 - A kind-hearted cyborg in the shape of a pudgy boy in his mid-to-late teens. Even though he works for Black Ghost, he kills many of the assassins who are supposed to assist him, refuses to kill an old friend of Dr. Gilmore who has been taken hostage, and even helps 009 to save a little girl caught in the crossfire. He can project his thoughts and like 009 can accelerate using a switch, but to a level where it appears there is more than one of him. He is also telepathically connected to a giant robot which can become invisible. After he is defeated by 009, 0013 decides to kill himself by destroying the robot, believing that that was the only way to escape from Black Ghost's control. Before he dies, he asks what 009's real name is; 009 answers and asks the same to 0013, but unfortunately, 0013 dies before he can answer. Dr. Gilmore viewed him as a prospect of joining the team; in fact, he appears in the first season ending credits of the series dressed in the cyborgs' red uniform. * CYBORG -004 - A mini story arc in the 2001 anime, this cyborg is a duplicate of 004 and can predict all of 004's moves. This assassin is equipped with enhanced versions of 004's weapons, making it a serious threat. -004 was defeated when it launched a missile that nearly struck a bird's nest. -004's computer lead it to believe that 004 would simply dodge the missile in order to survive, but instead 004 jumps to save the bird's nest, throwing off -004's computer, leaving him open to attack. The final battle ensued in a courtyard of the castle they've currently been fighting in; 004 gets the best of -004 and backs him up against a tree whilst a huge lightning bolt strikes the tree with -004 touching it, ultimately causing -004 to blow up.
* DR. GAMO WHISKEY (ガモ·ウィスキー博士, Gamo Wisukī
Hakase) - 001's father, an ex-brain surgeon who went mad after not
being able to nurse his seriously ill child back to health, and gave
him up to Black Ghost. When the Psychic Assassins came, he was
retired, old, and very, very wrinkled; he pretended to sympathize with
their plea, but erases their memories and makes them Black Ghost's
puppets, determined to get 001 back and settle his old scores with his
former rival, Isaac Gilmore. He's ultimately killed by Phil, who uses
his powers to give him a heart attack; still, he manages to make peace
with Ivan just before dying. He was renamed DR. GAMO ASIMOV in the
Sony Pictures English dub.
* DR. GAIA - He is the man who created the Greek God Cyborgs and a
former Black Ghost scientist. In the manga, he works with Dr. Uranus,
another black Ghost scientist, and is far more interested in
destroying the rebels and Gilmore. While Uranus tries to peacefully
sort things out with Gilmore, hoping that he will simply give up his
cyborgs or, later on, make peace with the Greek god cyborgs, Dr. Gaia
planned to use sneaky maneuvers and tactics to attack Gilmore and the
00-team when they weren't expecting it. In the anime, he's about the
same, minus his rivalry with Uranus and seems to have a grudge against
Gilmore, as they thought differently and contested over whether a
cyborg's memory should be wiped of the human memories or not. Later
on, he killed
A group of mass-produced cyborg men who help try to spark a war in 008's home country. They wear black suits, which also cover their face with red goggles and an air tube which they appear to need for survival. They usually ride in black tanks. Their leader is Number 1, who is 008's old friend, Mamado. He rides a black saucer with laser shooting tentacles which can detach as robotic snakes. He appears to have lost his good heart after the brainwashing he was put through, so he is defeated by a very reluctant 008 after he fails to convince him.
Cyborgs who claim to be the gods who have come to Earth to destroy it, so they may end war and rebuild the world. They are unaware of them being cyborgs due to their brainwashing . Most of them dress in white Greek clothes with capes and live on a far away island just off the coast of Greece. They were created by Dr. Gaia who erased their memories and led them to believe they were gods so they would cause destruction and confusion instead of peace.
* APOLLO (アポロン, Aporon, APOLLON) - The leading figure in
this group, he is very arrogant and destructive. He is the younger
THE MUTANT WARRIORS
In the 2001 anime, there's an alternate universe where Black Ghost has won the war against the cyborgs, and the world is in perpetual war. Humans have developed psychic powers of a different variety for self-defense, and even then they live in constant fear.
A young man named Nichol, his girlfriend Rina, Rina's younger brother Phil and their friends Cain and Mii learn that there was peace, and decide to time-travel to search for help. But during their time-jump, they lose sight of Nicholas and arrive, with their life energy completely drained, to the doorstep of Gamo Whisky, Ivan/001's estranged father. Hiding his connections with Black Ghost, he erases the kids' memories and pits them against the cyborgs to retrieve his child, prove his theories about psychic powers right, and defeat his old rival Gilmore's team. After the Warriors turn against a non-brainwashed Nichol and one of them kills him, they fight the cyborgs.
Slowly after each regains their memory, they join the Cyborgs after they rescue 009 and Rina from the future, to fight against Gamo and a treacherous Cain. Gamo is fatally wounded and 001 forgives his father before he dies, since he remembers that Gamo's madness started after he failed to cure Ivan's old birth disease. They each have telepathic abilities, telekinesis, psychic barriers and can teleport at will.
* NICHOL (NICHOLAS in English dub) - Was the only psychic to escape Gamo's brainwashing; during the time-jump the others lost sight of him, so he escaped the treatment. He was Rina's boyfriend. He arrives wounded, to warn the Cyborgs, but is killed by the Psychic Assassins; using their telekinetic powers, one of them lifts him up in the air and snaps his neck in front of the horrified Gilmore, 003, 006, 007 and 009. He has black hair and wears normal clothes, and though he's not seen in action he is assumed to have the same powers as the other Assassins without the de-aging process. * RINA (LENA in English dub) - She is truly kind at heart and is the first to regain her memory, but then she is sent back with 009 to the future. Her boyfriend is Nichol, and Phil is her younger brother. She has long thick white hair which she lets flow out. She is the first to regain her memory, which is latent in her subconscious mind for a long time, and the recovery is triggered by seeing Nichol's pendant in Joe's hands. This causes her mind to be in sync with 009 which causes her to time-jump with him and fully reject the brainwashing. She disappears in time with Cain during their duel. * CAIN - The only Psychic Assassin who appears to be evil before Gamo's brainwashing, he loves to fight because he enjoys the thrill of possible death, and says that the Cyborgs do not have to worry about him due to his human body. He has the ability to use his psychic powers to speed himself up to keep up with 009's acceleration mode. He has black hair with red tips and a monocle that covers one of his eyes. He is the only one not to in the end join the Cyborgs, and then he tries to destroy the other Assassins. He disappears in time with Rina during their duel, and following his own words he also was the one who killed Nichol. * MII (MAI in English dub) - She along with Phil later regains her memory and joins the Cyborgs to go to the future and find Rina and 009. She has purple hair with a very thick fringe. She has the ability Synchro-Warp which allows her to send a group through time as long as their minds are in sync. She is the last Assassin left in the end and she simply fades away since her background has changed. She and Rina also have Telepathic Mimicry in which they can falsely communicate telepathically with another person's voice. * PHIL - He along with Mii later regains her memory and joins the Cyborgs to go to the future and find Rina and 009. He is Rina's little brother and the youngest of the group, because of this he hates being treated as weak and always tries to show his strength. He has green hair and wears a yellowish suit. Being the youngest he also appears to be the most vulnerable to the ageing process that affects the Assassins due to the time-jump. He dies after using his powers to fatally injure Gamo, calling out to his sister.
THE YOMI KINGDOM
Deep buried in the Earth's grounds, the Yomi kingdom and its inhabitants, the Pu'Awak, have been enslaved by the dinosaur race known as the Zattan, who treat them as slaves and use their natural fertility to keep them as living food supplies. Black Ghost, or more specifically Skull and his underling Van Vogt (renamed CLAUS VAN BOGOOT in the Sony Pictures English dub), suddenly appear to trick the Pu'Awaks into following them to fight for freedom, and they choose five Pu'Awak noble-born sisters as their subordinates. However, the girls (Biina, Helen, Daphne, Aphro and Dinah) are soon disenchanted, and decide to join the Cyborgs instead to reach for true freedom.
* HELEN - The first to be seen of the Pu'Awak sisters and the eldest
one (but youngest in Sony Pictures' English dub), her tiara had red
jewels and she also wears a short blue dress. She had her memories
partially erased by Black Ghost and was sent towards the Cyborgs as an
unwilling spy, with Biina monitoring her through their psychic link.
Sweet-tempered and frail due to her lack of memories, she doesn't
recover until almost the end of the arc, after a brief brainwashing
courtesy of the Zattan; overcoming her own fears and shock, Helen
guides 009, 001, 002, 003 and 005 to the Yomi Kingdom, saving Biina
and 004 from being executed, but later she and her sister die at the
hands of Van Vogt and the kingdom collapses in the upcoming fight. 004
treated her harshly in the first episodes since 008 was seriously
injured by the dinosaurs released by Black Ghost and Helen's loyalties
still weren't fully revealed. She grew rather fond of 009; 003 was
distraught for this, but tried to not hold it up against Helen
herself, and was the one who mourned her the most after she died.
* BIINA (VENUS in
* CYNTHIA FINDOR (CYNTHIA FINDORU in English dub). Daughter of a scientist who was forced to work for Black Ghost. * PRINCESS IXQUIC. A lonely and ancient android shaped as a beautiful songstress, who guards a golden pyramid in the Andes along with a blood-thirsty robot named Cabrakan. She's not evil, though; actually, Ixquic longs for company but isn't allowed to meet other people, since the pyramid must be hidden from the world. She and the pyramid can only be seen when the wind blows through a rock portal in the mountain; however, every time Ixquic is given the chance to interact with humans, they try to steal the treasures sealed in the place, so Cabrakan attacks them and kills them before Ixquic can do anything to stop him and convince her "visitors" to leave the riches alone. One of Cabrakan's victims happened to be an old friend of 007, so the Cyborgs go to the Andes to investigate; 009 is separated from the others and meets up with Ixquic, whom he expresses sympathy for, while the others find the corpses of the scientists and believe Ixquic to be evil. Cabrakan attacks them and the issue is cleared, but in the brawl the rock portal is destroyed and Ixquic, the pyramid and Cabrakan's remains disappear from the world. * SPHYNX. A super computer which is the heart and mind of the cyber city Computopia, built by a friend of Gilmore named Dr. Eckermann. Unbeknownst to Eckermann, the computer has a mind of its own modeled after the scientist's late son, Carl, a brilliant yet emotionally stunted engineer who died in an accident before Computopia was finished.
Confused, angry and depressed, Carl took over the Sphynx and attacked the Cyborgs, especially 004 who had expressed his doubts about Computopia; he also fell in love with 003, who greatly reminded of his dead mother, and kidnapped her to try brainwashing her into staying with him forever. When 009 went to rescue his kidnapped friend, Carl sent a robot doppelganger of 003 to kill Joe by self-detonation; however, she chose to blow herself up instead of hurting him, and 002 had to show the deceit to a distraught 009. With Dr. Eckermann's help, 009 hooked himself up to the same device 003's body was connected to and reached for her mind, set in a virtual fantasy world; they tried to help Carl and set him free from the Sphynx, but he was so distraught that he shut himself off completely and destroyed the Sphynx.
* JIMMY. A young boy and from New York that befriends Jet when he returns home and lives in the Bronx. * CATHY. Who runs the Sweet Pot coffee shop and is the single mother of Jimmy. She greatly dislikes Jet, telling her to leave Jimmy alone and stop telling him 'ridiculous' stories. Later, she doesn't mind so much after Jet saves her from a fire.
Links: ------ /wiki/Cyborg_009 /wiki/Shotaro_Ishinomori /#Protagonists /#00_Cyborgs /#Humans /#Voice_casts /#Antagonists /#Skull.2FBlack_Ghost /#00_Cyborg_Assassins /#Humans_2 /#Cyborg_Men /#Mythos_Cyborgs /#The_Mutant_Warriors /#The_Yomi_Kingdom /#Others