Investopedia is a privately owned website based in New York City that focuses on investing education and financial news.
Its operations have been managed by CEO David Siegel since 2015.
Investopedia was founded by Cory Wagner and Cory Janssen in Edmonton, Alberta at the height of the dot-com era in 1999. Wagner focused on business development and R&D, and Janssen focused on marketing and sales. Investopedia drew about 2,500,000 monthly users and provided a popular financial dictionary with over 5,300 terms drawn from personal finance, banking and accounting. It also provided thousands of in-depth articles by financial experts and a Stock Simulator.
In 2007, Forbes Media acquired Investopedia.com for an undisclosed amount.
In 2010, Forbes sold Investopedia to ValueClick Inc. for $42 Million.
In 2013, IAC/InterActive Corp acquired Investopedia.com as part of a group of internet properties from ValueClick Inc for $80 Million.
Since 2013, IAC has backed Investopedia’s growth and supported its investment into video, timely news production, personal finance tools, and investing education to where Investopedia now delivers more than 28 million monthly unique visitors and nearly 100 million monthly page views.
In June 2016, Investopedia launched Investopedia Academy as an online education platform.
- ^ "Investopedia.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved March 6, 2018.
- ^ Ha, Anthony, "IAC Hires David Siegel As CEO Of Finance Website Investopedia", techcrunch.com, March 10, 2015.
- ^ Simon, Dan, "Success By The Numbers: An Interview With Investopedia CEO David Siegel", Forbes, February 29, 2016.
- ^ "Forbes Media Acquires Investopedia.com". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 11 April 2007.
- ^ Nicole, Kristen. "Investopedia Acquired by Forbes". Mashable. Retrieved 12 April 2007.
- ^ Wauters, Robin. "Forbes Sells Investopedia To ValueClick In $42 Million Deal". TechCrunch.
- ^ Barinka, Alex (10 December 2013). "IAC Gets a Bargain in Buying ValueClick Websites". Bloomberg.com.
- ^ "Investopedia Academy". Investopedia Academy.
- ^ "Investopedia Academy Launches to Empower Consumers with Financial Skills".