Hansa was an online darknet market which operated on a hidden service of the Tor network.
With the closure of AlphaBay in June 2017, it was predicted to become one of the leading markets. However on July 20, 2017 it was revealed that it had been compromised by law enforcement for several weeks before closing shortly after AlphaBay as a culmination of multinational law enforcement operation Operation Bayonet.
Dutch police impersonated the site's administrators, collecting usernames and passwords. Local cybercrime prosecutor Martijn Egberts claimed to have obtained around 10,000 addresses of Hansa buyers outside of the Netherlands. During this time, the police allowed the Hansa userbase (then growing from 1000 to 8000 vendors per day, due to the AlphaBay shutdown) to make illegal transactions in order to collect evidence for future prosecution of users. After the takeover, investigators are believed to have modified a file Hansa users downloaded in order to get a summary of their recent transactions. The file was changed from a text file to a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet which, when opened, transmitted the IP address of the user to an OVH-hosted server.
After shut down, the site displayed a seizure notice and directed users to their hidden service politiepcvh42eav.onion/hansafaq.html to find more information about the operation.
- ^ "Deep Dot Web - Hansa".
- ^ Buntinx, JP (16 July 2017). "Top 4 Darknet Marketplaces Poised to Take AlphaBay's Place". Retrieved 20 July 2017.
- ^ "Massive blow to criminal Dark Web activities after globally coordinated operation". 20 July 2017. Retrieved 20 July 2017.
- ^ a b "Underground Hansa Market taken over and shut down". Politie (Dutch Police). 20 July 2017.
- ^ Satter, Raphael; Bajak, Frank (2017-07-21). "Dutch 'darknet' drug marketplace shut down". Portland Press Herald. Retrieved 2017-07-22.
- ^ Riggs, Mike (2017-07-26). "Five Lessons from the Hansa and AlphaBay Busts". Reason Hit&Run. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- ^ a b Cox, Joseph (August 25, 2017). "This Is How Cops Trick Dark-Web Criminals Into Unmasking Themselves". The Daily Beast.
- ^ pxx51092 (July 25, 2017). "DON'T open the xlsx locktime file, beacon image confirmed in it with Hansa's server IP address". reddit. Archived from the original on October 9, 2017.
- ^ DeepDotWeb (31 October 2016). "Dutch National Prosecution Service and police launch Hidden Service in global Darknet enforcement operation". Retrieved 26 July 2017.
- ^ Vitaris, Benjamin (20 July 2016). "Hansa Market Taken Down in Global Law Enforcement Operation".