GERALD ALLAN "JERRY" COHEN, FBA (/ˈkoʊən/ ; 14 April 1941 – 5
August 2009) was a Marxist political philosopher who held the
Quain Professor of Jurisprudence , University College
Chichele Professor of Social and Political Theory , All
* 1 Life and career * 2 Works * 3 See also * 4 References * 5 Further reading * 6 External links
LIFE AND CAREER
Born into a communist family in
Cohen was assistant lecturer (1963–1964), lecturer (1964–1979)
then reader (1979–1984) in the Department of Philosophy at
University College London
Known as a proponent of Analytical Marxism and a founding member of the September Group , Cohen's 1978 work Karl Marx\'s Theory of History: A Defence defends an interpretation of Marx\'s historical materialism often referred to as 'technological determinism ' by its critics. In Self-Ownership, Freedom, and Equality, Cohen offers an extensive moral argument in favour of socialism, contrasting his views with those of John Rawls and Robert Nozick , by articulating an extensive critique of the Lockean principle of self-ownership as well as the use of that principle to defend right – as well as left – libertarianism . In If You're an Egalitarian, How Come You're So Rich? (which covers the topic of his Gifford Lectures ) Cohen addresses the question of what egalitarian political principles imply for the personal behaviour of those who subscribe to them.
Cohen was close friends with Marxist political philosopher Marshall Berman .
* Karl Marx\'s Theory of History: A Defence (1978, 2000) * History, Labour, and Freedom (1988) * Self-Ownership, Freedom, and Equality. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 1995. ISBN 978-0-5214-7174-9 . OCLC 612482692 . * If You're an Egalitarian, How Come You're So Rich? (2000) * Chapter in Dworkin and his Critics, with replies by Dworkin (2004) * Rescuing Justice and Equality (2008) * Why Not Socialism? (2009) * On the Currency of Egalitarian Justice, and Other Essays in Political Philosophy (2011) * Finding Oneself in the Other (2012) * Lectures on the History of Moral and Political Philosophy (2013)
* ^ Vallentyne, Peter (2014). "Libertarianism". In Stanford
Encyclopedia of Philosophy .
Stanford University .
* ^ Singer, Peter (2000). Marx: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford:
* The Egalitarian Conscience: Essays in Honour of G. A. Cohen (2006); edited by Christine Sypnowich * Tomey, Simon (2012), "An interview with Jerry Cohen.", in Browning, Gary; Dimova-Cookson, Maria; Prokhovnik, Raia , Dialogues with contemporary political theorists, Houndsmill, Basingstoke, Hampshire New York: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 74–85, ISBN 9780230303058 * Vrousalis, Nicholas. The Political Philosophy of G.A. Cohen. Bloomsbury. ISBN 9781472532701 . * Robeyns, Ingrid (July 2015). "On G.A. Cohen’s "On the currency of egalitarian justice"". Ethics . Chicago Journals via