Coordinates : 52°20′46″N 0°31′08″E / 52.3461°N 0.5190°E / 52.3461; 0.5190
STATUS Non-metropolitan district
ADMIN HQ Mildenhall
INCORPORATED 1 April 1974
• TYPE Non-metropolitan district council
• LEADERSHIP Alternative - Sec.31 (Conservative )
• MPS Matthew Hancock
• TOTAL 145.8 sq mi (377.7 km2)
AREA RANK 107th (of 326)
POPULATION (MID-2016 EST.)
• TOTAL 64,400
• RANK 309th (of 326)
• DENSITY 440/sq mi (170/km2)
• ETHNICITY 91.0% White 3.0% Black 1.3% S.Asian 3.1% mixed race
TIME ZONE GMT ( UTC0 )
• SUMMER (DST )
ONS CODE 42UC (ONS) E07000201 (GSS)
OS GRID REFERENCE TL7156375032
FOREST HEATH is a local government district in
The district's name reflects the fact that it contains parts of both Thetford Forest and the heathlands of Breckland . The district was formed on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972 , by a merger of Newmarket Urban District and Mildenhall Rural District .
In the English indices of deprivation 2010 report published by the Department for Communities and Local Government , two parts of Forest Heath have the highest employment out of 32483 areas in England.
* 1 Governance
* 2 Communities
* 2.1 Towns * 2.2 Civil parishes
* 3 Education * 4 References * 5 External links
As of the 2015 Local Government Elections, the Conservatives held overall control of the District Council.
The district contains three market towns and twenty civil parishes .
* Mildenhall * Newmarket * Brandon