Faga'alu is a village in central Tutuila Island, American Samoa. It is located on the eastern shore of Pago Pago Harbor, to the south of Pago Pago. American Samoa's lone hospital, Lyndon B. Johnson Tropical Medical Center, is located in Faga'alu. The village is centered around Fagaalu Stream.
Faga’alu has been named one of the best places to surf in American Samoa. It is one of thirteen villages in American Samoa that have been declared Marine Protected Areas.
LBJ Tropical Medical Center
Lyndon B. Johnson Tropical Medical Center is the only hospital in American Samoa and the only prescription pharmacy on the island. It has been ranked among the best hospitals in the Pacific Ocean. It is home to an emergency room and there are doctors on duty at all hours.
Faga’alu is home to Virgin Falls, which is a tourist destination on the island. A 0.6-mile hike past the LBJ Tropical Medical Center leads to a small rock quarry. From there, a trail climbs past a series of waterfalls, known as Virgin Falls. Several of the waterfalls have pools used for swimming.
Faga’alu is home to Le Fale Pule Lodge, which sits high up on a hillside above Matafao Elementary School in Faga’alu. The hotel offers panoramic views of Pago Pago Harbor, and is located 300 feet above sea level. Four of the rooms are in the main house, while there’s also a separate cottage with outdoor jacuzzis.
- ^ Swaney, Deanna (1994). Samoa: Western Samoa and American Samoa. Lonely Planet. Page 162. ISBN 9780864422255.
- ^ http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/284786/more-villages-to-join-american-samoa-marine-protection
- ^ Swaney, Deanna (1994). Samoa: Western Samoa and American Samoa. Lonely Planet. Page 161. ISBN 9780864422255.
- ^ United States. Congress. House. Committee on Natural Resources. Subcommittee on Indian, Insular, and Alaska Native Affairs (2017). Assessing Current Conditions and Challenges at the Lyndon B. Johnson Tropical Medical Center in American Samoa: Oversight Hearing before the Subcommittee on Indian, Insular and Alaska Native Affairs of the Committee on Natural Resources, U.S. House of Representatives, One Hundred Fifteenth Congress, First Session, Tuesday, July 25, 2017. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Publishing Office. Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- ^ Swaney, Deanna (1994). Samoa: Western & American Samoa: a Lonely Planet Travel Survival Kit. Lonely Planet Publications. Page 179. ISBN 9780864422255.
- ^ Stanley, David (2004). South Pacific. Moon Handbooks. Page 484. ISBN 9781566914116.