||Chr 11: 34.48 – 34.51 Mb
E74-like factor 5 (ets domain transcription factor), is a gene found in both mice and humans. In humans it is also called ESE2.
The protein encoded by this gene is a member of an epithelium-specific subclass of the Ets transcritpion factor family. In addition to its role in regulating the later stages of terminal differentiation of keratinocytes, it appears to regulate a number of epithelium-specific genes found in tissues containing glandular epithelium such as salivary gland and prostate. It has very low affinity to DNA due to its negative regulatory domain at the amino terminus. Two alternatively spliced transcript variants encoding different isoforms have been described for this gene.
- Sharrocks AD, Brown AL, Ling Y, Yates PR (Dec 1997). "The ETS-domain transcription factor family". The International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology. 29 (12): 1371–87. doi:10.1016/S1357-2725(97)00086-1. PMID 9570133.
- Zhou J, Ng AY, Tymms MJ, Jermiin LS, Seth AK, Thomas RS, Kola I (Nov 1998). "A novel transcription factor, ELF5, belongs to the ELF subfamily of ETS genes and maps to human chromosome 11p13-15, a region subject to LOH and rearrangement in human carcinoma cell lines". Oncogene. 17 (21): 2719–32. doi:10.1038/sj.onc.1202198. PMID 9840936.
- Oettgen P, Kas K, Dube A, Gu X, Grall F, Thamrongsak U, Akbarali Y, Finger E, Boltax J, Endress G, Munger K, Kunsch C, Libermann TA (Oct 1999). "Characterization of ESE-2, a novel ESE-1-related Ets transcription factor that is restricted to glandular epithelium and differentiated keratinocytes". The Journal of Biological Chemistry. 274 (41): 29439–52. doi:10.1074/jbc.274.41.29439. PMID 10506207.
- Lapinskas EJ, Palmer J, Ricardo S, Hertzog PJ, Hammacher A, Pritchard MA (Dec 2004). "A major site of expression of the ets transcription factor Elf5 is epithelia of exocrine glands". Histochemistry and Cell Biology. 122 (6): 521–6. doi:10.1007/s00418-004-0713-x. PMID 15655699.
- Yaniw D, Hu J (Jun 2005). "Epithelium-specific ets transcription factor 2 upregulates cytokeratin 18 expression in pulmonary epithelial cells through an interaction with cytokeratin 18 intron 1". Cell Research. 15 (6): 423–9. doi:10.1038/sj.cr.7290310. PMID 15987600.
- Tummala R, Sinha S (Mar 2006). "Differentiation-specific transcriptional regulation of the ESE-2 gene by a novel keratinocyte-restricted factor". Journal of Cellular Biochemistry. 97 (4): 766–81. doi:10.1002/jcb.20685. PMID 16229011.
- Choi YS, Sinha S (Sep 2006). "Determination of the consensus DNA-binding sequence and a transcriptional activation domain for ESE-2". The Biochemical Journal. 398 (3): 497–507. doi:10.1042/BJ20060375. PMC 1559455 . PMID 16704374.
- Lim J, Hao T, Shaw C, Patel AJ, Szabó G, Rual JF, Fisk CJ, Li N, Smolyar A, Hill DE, Barabási AL, Vidal M, Zoghbi HY (May 2006). "A protein-protein interaction network for human inherited ataxias and disorders of Purkinje cell degeneration". Cell. 125 (4): 801–14. doi:10.1016/j.cell.2006.03.032. PMID 16713569.
This article incorporates text from the United States National Library of Medicine, which is in the public domain.