David Hazony (born 1969) is an American-born Israeli writer, translator, and editor. He was the founding editor of The Tower Magazine from 2013 to 2017, and is currently executive director of the Israel Innovation Fund.
Hazony has written for the New Republic, CNN.com, The Forward, Commentary, Moment, the Jerusalem Post, the Jewish Chronicle, the New York Sun, and Jewish Ideas Daily. He is a regular contributor to Contentions, the weblog of Commentary Magazine. Until 2007, he was a fellow at the Shalem Center in Jerusalem, founded by his older brother Yoram Hazony. In 2004–2007, he served as editor in chief of Azure, its quarterly. He has appeared on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News.
Hazony has studied at Columbia University, received a B.A. and M.A. from Yeshiva University, and completed his Ph.D. at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. He is a contributing editor at The Forward, where he has published a series of essays about the growing distance between American Jews and Israelis.
Hazony is an expert on the Jewish philosopher Eliezer Berkovits.
- Author of The Ten Commandments: How Our Most Ancient Moral Text Can Renew Modern Life (Scribner, September 2010), a finalist for the 2010 National Jewish Book Award.
- Edited Eliezer Berkovits, Essential Essays on Judaism (Shalem Press, 2002); Eliezer Berkovits, God, Man, and History (Shalem Press, 2004); and (together with Michael B. Oren and Yoram Hazony, eds.), New Essays on Zionism (Shalem Press, 2007).
- Translated Emuna Elon's novel If You Awaken Love (Toby, 2007), a finalist for the 2007 National Jewish Book Award.
- Translated Uri Bar-Joseph, "The Angel" (HarperCollins, 2016), winner of the 2017 National Jewish Book Award.
- ^ "Magazine". TheTower.org. Retrieved November 25, 2017.
- ^ "Our Team". www.TIIFund.org. Retrieved November 25, 2017.
- ^ "Virtually Normal", The New Republic, June 11, 2008
- ^ "My Take: Are the Ten Commandments still relevant?". CNN.com. Retrieved November 25, 2017.
- ^ "David Hazony". Forward.com. Retrieved November 25, 2017.
- ^ David Hazony's posts on Contentions, the weblog of Commentary Magazine.
- ^ ""Welcome to Fire-Extinguisher Judaism," Moment, May/June 2010". MomentMag.com. Retrieved November 25, 2017.
- ^ "Jewish Ideas Daily » Authors » David Hazony". www.JewishIdeasDaily.com. Retrieved November 25, 2017.
- ^ "Azure - Ideas for the Jewish Nation". www.Azure.org.il. Retrieved November 25, 2017.
- ^ "Was Netanyahu's speech a success? - CNN Video". CNN.com. Retrieved November 25, 2017.
- ^ "Looking at the politics behind Netanyahu's speech". MSNBC.com. Retrieved November 25, 2017.
- ^ "Setback in Mid-East Peace Talks". Fox News. May 3, 2011. Retrieved November 25, 2017.